d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > I Spent $23,000 Today
Prev1789101112Next
Add Reply New Topic
Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 30 2016 09:50am
Lol bigger nerd than firaga
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 30 2016 12:11pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 30 2016 10:46am)
I'm not expecting to make a lot of money. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous to say people aren't making a decent living because "they're not willing to work hard and uncomfortable jobs".

I worked hard and uncomfortable jobs, it was definitely not a determining factor in my success.

I've worked retail, I've worked food service, I've worked in construction. I can 100% absolutely tell you I would take any of those 3 jobs over my office/desk job I have today. It's mindless. In retail, you have items to put onto shelves or you have customers to ring up for the goods they purchase. In food service you cook the food, ring up to the customer, they leave. You prep food, you clean after the day is over. Obviously in retail and food service you get customer complaints, but who cares, it's easy stuff and the worst case scenario is you call a manager or you have to give a refund. In construction, even easier. Okay yeah it's physical labor, but it's mindless often times and the times that it isn't, it's super black and white simple. In all 3 of those, you clock out, go home, don't have to think about it again until the next day.

In what I do now it never ends. If a customer calls me at 11:00 at night, I have to answer. If I don't finish a project, it weighs on me until I do. If I make a mistake, I don't make them a new burger to satisfy them, I have to explain to my manager why we lost $250,000 in the blink of an eye. If the company has layoffs or if I make a mistake and get fired, I don't just leave restaurant A and go to restaurant B or go from a CVS clerk to being a Walgreens clerk, I have to build a resume and craft my skills in a way that is attractive to other employers and it typically takes a lot longer to get a job in professional service/business/office style companies than in retail/food service/blue collar. It just is, I've been there, I have tons of friends who have been there.

Tl;dr - people who say "sitting behind a desk all day" is easy, are fucking idiots.
Gold: 260.11
Jun 30 2016 12:28pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 30 2016 12:11pm)
I've worked retail, I've worked food service, I've worked in construction. I can 100% absolutely tell you I would take any of those 3 jobs over my office/desk job I have today. It's mindless. In retail, you have items to put onto shelves or you have customers to ring up for the goods they purchase. In food service you cook the food, ring up to the customer, they leave. You prep food, you clean after the day is over. Obviously in retail and food service you get customer complaints, but who cares, it's easy stuff and the worst case scenario is you call a manager or you have to give a refund. In construction, even easier. Okay yeah it's physical labor, but it's mindless often times and the times that it isn't, it's super black and white simple. In all 3 of those, you clock out, go home, don't have to think about it again until the next day.

In what I do now it never ends. If a customer calls me at 11:00 at night, I have to answer. If I don't finish a project, it weighs on me until I do. If I make a mistake, I don't make them a new burger to satisfy them, I have to explain to my manager why we lost $250,000 in the blink of an eye. If the company has layoffs or if I make a mistake and get fired, I don't just leave restaurant A and go to restaurant B or go from a CVS clerk to being a Walgreens clerk, I have to build a resume and craft my skills in a way that is attractive to other employers and it typically takes a lot longer to get a job in professional service/business/office style companies than in retail/food service/blue collar. It just is, I've been there, I have tons of friends who have been there.

Tl;dr - people who say "sitting behind a desk all day" is easy, are fucking idiots.

You also make more money for working a harder job :(

I know what you're saying, but it really has nothing to do with what I posted.
Gold: 129.89
Jun 30 2016 02:48pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 29 2016 02:49pm)
No need. You'll grow up one day, or just won't reproduce. Either is fine.

Whoa..... someone is pissed............
Gold: 1.50
Jun 30 2016 02:50pm
Quote (josh2234 @ Jun 30 2016 03:48pm)
Whoa..... someone is pissed............

your parents no doubt
Gold: 4,821.50
Warn: 10%
Jun 30 2016 02:51pm
I wonder if because this thread was started by a mediator it wasn't immediately closed for off-topic.

Quote (howtodisappearcompletely @ Jun 28 2016 08:42am)
Posting in yet another "My name is AspenSniper and I feel the need to share that I am relatively wealthy" thread.

Ever notice how those with large ego's start "look at me" threads?

This post was edited by said_aouita on Jun 30 2016 02:53pm
Gold: 5,475.04
Jun 30 2016 02:53pm
Quote (said_aouita @ Jun 30 2016 04:51pm)
I wonder if because this thread was started by a mediator it wasn't immediately closed for off-topic.

100% of threads in gc have off topic posts in them

next to none of them get closed
Gold: 2,866.00
Jun 30 2016 09:56pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 28 2016 09:41am)
Today I burned through about $23,000.

$17k or so went to paying off the venue/food for the wedding, which was about 90% of the total cost.
I put $5500 into my Roth IRA today since the market took a downturn due to Brexit. Assuming it'll go up today, good time to do it.
Upped my mortgage payment by my principle amount. Isn't it crazy how a $1359 mortgage payment has only $360 of that total being principle? Meaning $1000 of my $1360 mortgage is essentially just poof money to interest tax and insurance. So I upped it by $360/month to pay it off in half the time.
Makes money in the long run, but right now I feel poor.

No offense but this thread reeks of someone not happy with some part of their life.
Gold: 5,168.97
Jul 1 2016 01:46am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 30 2016 08:11pm)

Finally a statement from you that I agree with. Although I'd definitely not have used the profanity.

Quote (said_aouita @ Jun 30 2016 10:51pm)

Ever notice how those with large ego's start "look at me" threads?

Yup. "look at me" pretty much describes all of AspenSniper's threads.
Gold: 21.93
Jul 1 2016 02:13am
I also upped my repayments, and also upped the amount i am saving for the next home loan, almost half way there.
I have no investments outside of real estate other than my super fund though.

Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 30 2016 01:22am)
Haha honestly man, I just like talking about money/investing and how to acquire more and I like helping people understand the world of finance/investing because it can be pretty daunting if you don't know a lot about it. That's pretty much my main reason in talking about what I do here.

I think people are just insecure talking about money, so they deflect that against people who are comfortable talking about it and immediately say it's arrogance, regardless of how much either person has.

I feel this man, i had a guy at work ask me how i was going with my real estate, when he asked how i afford it i said "I chose not to have kids and to work hard and invest smart when i am young so i can work less when i am older".
The next day a middle management type pulls me into his office and says i have to stop bragging to my co workers about my wealth because it bothers them and makes them feel bad about having less than me, and that by saying how i didn't have kids i was unfair on this guy because he chose to have kids and he felt i was making fun of him.

Kinda made my head spin all the petty sniping around the office, think i will find a better place to work soon.

This post was edited by HimynameisMatt on Jul 1 2016 02:20am
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev1789101112Next
Add Reply New Topic