d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive >
Poll > Work Dilemma > The Age Old Question
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 1,000.69
Jul 4 2016 11:19pm
a question that may be relevant: are there any other factors than the money or difficulty itself? perhaps the tasks you will be dealing with and the quality of work and/or life differences between the two? what is your motivation? does the tougher road have a fallback plan in the worst case scenario? why or where are your doubts? is it due to capability or just long hours or something else?

ill tell u what im doing, perhaps it helps. i had a choice: get a job or apply for phd. job = more money, phd = harder road, sometimes even a gamble, might not even be much higher pay in the end.

i chose phd. why? ill be super fucking honest (dont laugh at me LOLOLOL) first of all, i want to test myself. if i tried my hardest to the point i dont even have energy to fap, and fail in the end, ill have no regrets becuz i tried my hardest and that was the limit of my ability. second reason, my adviser said its hard to do a phd later especially if i get married and such (ROFL ME? GET MARRIED??? I HAVENT EVEN KISSED A GIRL YET)

thats my reason. for me, the opportunity to try this challenge has a greater valuecthan what my average monetary situation would look like if i were to get a job
Gold: 85,037.00
Jul 4 2016 11:21pm
Is the reward greater then the risk? Ask yourself that
Gold: 260.11
Jul 4 2016 11:31pm
Quote (Firaga @ Jul 4 2016 11:19pm)
a question that may be relevant: are there any other factors than the money or difficulty itself? perhaps the tasks you will be dealing with and the quality of work and/or life differences between the two? what is your motivation? does the tougher road have a fallback plan in the worst case scenario? why or where are your doubts? is it due to capability or just long hours or something else?

ill tell u what im doing, perhaps it helps. i had a choice: get a job or apply for phd. job = more money, phd = harder road, sometimes even a gamble, might not even be much higher pay in the end.

i chose phd. why? ill be super fucking honest (dont laugh at me LOLOLOL) first of all, i want to test myself. if i tried my hardest to the point i dont even have energy to fap, and fail in the end, ill have no regrets becuz i tried my hardest and that was the limit of my ability. second reason, my adviser said its hard to do a phd later especially if i get married and such (ROFL ME? GET MARRIED??? I HAVENT EVEN KISSED A GIRL YET)

thats my reason. for me, the opportunity to try this challenge has a greater valuecthan what my average monetary situation would look like if i were to get a job

What are you doing a phd in?
Gold: 4.41
Jul 5 2016 12:22am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jul 5 2016 05:31am)

Social psychology from the sound of it
Gold: 490.35
Jul 5 2016 06:25am
Just chillax now ist the time to party. You dont get younger! Dont waste your best time in studying!!
Gold: 63,142.89
Jul 5 2016 06:38am
2 financial qualifications my employer would fully fund

if they are paying for it, what do you stand to lose by trying it? Would failure mean that you have to reimburse the company for the cost? or get fired?
Gold: 1,000.69
Jul 5 2016 10:25am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jul 5 2016 12:31am)

ME...
Gold: 3.79
Jul 5 2016 11:14am
my brother did his master's degree, had an excellent job, quit his job to go onto his doctorate because he wouldn't have been satisfied with a masters

maybe this helps you. gl in life
Gold: 3.33
Jul 5 2016 01:13pm
Quote (Firaga @ Jul 5 2016 06:19am)

now these are the posts i like from you boyo! id say the quality of life is better with the easier one and there is a good chance that the harder one will have not have a viable fallback option

Quote (kayeto @ Jul 5 2016 01:38pm)
if they are paying for it, what do you stand to lose by trying it? Would failure mean that you have to reimburse the company for the cost? or get fired?

no but lets say im 2-3 years into the 4 year qualification and i fail a few exams. id be in a precarious situation at work. im a smart guy but it could happen as its fookin difficult
Gold: 18.31
Jul 5 2016 02:07pm
work , work work work work , work work work work work
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev1234
Add Reply New Topic