d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > Gun Control Law > Input
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 500.00
Jun 15 2016 09:08pm
Quote (RzChaos @ Jun 15 2016 09:57pm)
Yes? Can you find a single case in US mass shootings where one of these defining features of an assault weapon led to an increase in deaths?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2016/06/economist-explains-11
Gold: 0.00
Jun 15 2016 09:09pm
Quote (Maddog402 @ Jun 15 2016 10:00pm)
im jus lost i guess wat ur asking cause ur calling it a assault weapon and asking about the features killing ppl the feature wud be the bullet the assault weapon shot...
dosent matter what the gun has on it... its an assault weapon

The problem is you're using terms that you don't know the meaning of...

There are clear definitions to these terms.

The AR15 is not an assault rifle.
The AR15 COULD be an assault weapon, but it isn't necessarily.

An assault rifle COULD be an assault weapon, but it isn't necessarily.
An assault weapon COULD be an assault rifle, but it isn't necessarily.

Assault rifles are already very strictly regulated and I can't think of a single mass shooting in US history with an assault rifle being used. Nobody is really discussing increasing regulation here.
People are talking about increasing regulations on assault weapons, but mostly because they don't understand what the term means. Assault weapon in no way speaks to the firepower/fire rate of a weapon, all it refers to are the accessories attached to the weapon, of which I can't think of a single time when one of the defining accessories led to more deaths in a mass shooting.

Your answer to my question is just wrong. The bullet is not one of the defining features of an assault weapon, that is a part of any weapon. The only things that make something an assault weapon is if it contains two from the following list: flash suppresor/pistol grip/grenade launcher/bayonet/folding or telescoping stock. And I can't think of a single shooting in the US where one of these things, which are what make something an assault weapon, led to an increase in deaths.
Gold: 42.00
Jun 15 2016 09:11pm
Quote (RzChaos @ Jun 15 2016 10:09pm)

Assault rifles are already very strictly regulated and I can't think of a single mass shooting in US history with an assault rifle being used. Nobody is really discussing increasing regulation here.
People are talking about increasing regulations on assault weapons, but mostly because they don't understand what the term means. Assault weapon in no way speaks to the firepower/fire rate of a weapon, all it refers to are the accessories attached to the weapon, of which I can't think of a single time when one of the defining accessories led to more deaths in a mass shooting.

Your answer to my question is just wrong. The bullet is not one of the defining features of an assault weapon, that is a part of any weapon. The only things that make something an assault weapon is if it contains two from the following list: flash suppresor/pistol grip/grenade launcher/bayonet/folding or telescoping stock. And I can't think of a single shooting in the US where one of these things, which are what make something an assault weapon, led to an increase in deaths.

whats more important? defining that a gun is a certain type of gun or arguing that point into the ground while innocent people die?
Jun 15 2016 09:12pm
Quote (HEAVENSHAKINGSWORD @ Jun 15 2016 10:11pm)
whats more important? defining that a gun is a certain type of gun or arguing that point into the ground while innocent people die?

This thread did get a lil off topic :P

All im saying is that these type of guns (assault rifles lol) shud have extensive background checks before sum1 can acquire one

This post was edited by Maddog402 on Jun 15 2016 09:13pm
Jun 15 2016 09:14pm
Quote (Maddog402 @ Jun 15 2016 10:12pm)
This thread did get a lil off topic :P

All im saying is that these type of guns (assault rifles lol) shud have extensive background checks before sum1 can acquire one

if an AR-15 can be used to assault large crowds of people, killing and maiming scores of them, on multiple occasions, it qualifies as an assault weapon.
Jun 15 2016 09:16pm
Quote (HEAVENSHAKINGSWORD @ Jun 15 2016 10:11pm)

Knowing/using the correct terms is EXTREMELY important to any form of gun control. If we were passing gun control using the language of Maddog, then nothing is going to be accomplished, as those aren't the problem.

I very well may side with him on some issues, but I legitimately don't know at what point he wants to increase regulation on certain guns because he is using incorrect terms and not going into details. How is gun control legislation going to be passed in these conditions?

Furthermore, you're never going to get the 2nd amendment above all crown on board with any type of regulations if you're trying to lecture them while at the same time displaying your incredible ignorance on the topic.

Quote (Maddog402 @ Jun 15 2016 10:14pm)
if an AR-15 can be used to assault large crowds of people, killing and maiming scores of them, on multiple occasions, it qualifies as an assault weapon.

If you just want to make up your own definitions to clearly defined terms, sure. Hell, any gun could qualify as an assault weapon under these terms. Knives could qualify as an assault weapon, cars could qualify as an assault weapon..

This post was edited by RzChaos on Jun 15 2016 09:19pm
Gold: 17.10
Jun 15 2016 09:17pm
Criminals keep their weapons, people that have done no wrong get screwed.

Seems legit
Jun 15 2016 09:18pm
Quote (RzChaos @ Jun 15 2016 10:09pm)

ur wrong lol
a m16 and a M4A1 are assault weapons cause they have the option to go fully automatic with no attachment
ar 15s are single fire and are like cousins to thos weapons
suppressors and flashlights etc are attachments not assault anything the gun is.

Quote (RzChaos @ Jun 15 2016 10:16pm)
Knowing/using the correct terms is EXTREMELY important to any form of gun control. If we were passing gun control using the language of Maddog, then nothing is going to be accomplished, as those aren't the problem.

I very well may side with him on some issues, but I legitimately don't know at what point he wants to increase regulation on certain guns because he is using incorrect terms and not going into details. How is gun control legislation going to be passed in these conditions?

Furthermore, you're never going to get the 2nd amendment above all crown on board with any type of regulations if you're trying to lecture them while at the same time displaying your incredible ignorance on the topic.

If you just want to make up your own definitions to clearly defined terms, sure.

wasnt my definition

This post was edited by Maddog402 on Jun 15 2016 09:19pm
Jun 15 2016 09:20pm
Quote (Maddog402 @ Jun 15 2016 10:18pm)
ur wrong lol
a m16 and a M4A1 are assault weapons cause they have the option to go fully automatic with no attachment
suppressors and flashlights etc are attachments not assault anything the gun is.

Assault weapon has nothing to do with mode of fire, it only has to do with attachments.
Assault rifle has to do with mode of fire, among other things.
Gold: 178.48
Jun 15 2016 09:20pm
Quote (HEAVENSHAKINGSWORD @ 16 Jun 2016 13:11)

Why not look at the motive, hell there're so many cop shows these days but people don't seem to understand why crimes are committed or how a detective would investigate it.

edit: Also how a word is defined is relevant if we are talking about laws.

This post was edited by Hubris on Jun 15 2016 09:21pm
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev1234510Next
Add Reply New Topic