d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > I Keep Seeing This Argument
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 138.69
Jun 13 2016 11:54am
Quote (AnimeFTW @ Jun 13 2016 10:33am)
I keep seeing people defending the second amendment with arguments about how they need to be able to fight off a tyrannical government if the need arises.

I'm honestly amazed that people can be so confident as to think their pathetic gun can counter ANYTHING the military has to offer. We have a device that, when pointed at a group of people, makes their skin feel like it's burst into flames. The most anyone has been able to endure it was 5 seconds. We have handheld laser arrays that can instantly and permanently blind you. We have unpiloted autonomous tanks. We're working on invisibility. We have grenade launchers that can time a grenade to explode just before it hits you, ensuring maximum damage and no chance of throwing a grenade back. We have lasers so powerful they can shoot down missiles and aircraft. Imagine what that can do to a person.

Why do people think their AR-15 is going to help in any way?

Would you be willing to confiscate firearms or would you want someone else with a gun to do that for you?
Gold: 3.33
Jun 13 2016 11:56am
A libertarian may argue that civilians should be allowed to own every type of weapon that the military and police own, who exist as a result of taxpayer funding. In this scenario, the civilian population would have a good shot at displacing a tyrannical government.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 13 2016 11:56am
Quote (Diutinus @ Jun 13 2016 12:48pm)
I'm fully aware, I'm not very familiar with guns, so that was my error. I choose to have nothing to do with guns.

BUT
People think they need all sorts of intense weaponry when, technically, they're only really "entitled" to the more "plain jane" shit like a pistol, etc.

That's the thing, though. Who decides who is "entitled" to anything? Because the arbiter of firearms entitlement would hold a great deal of power.

Quote (AnimeFTW @ Jun 13 2016 12:38pm)
Ah yes, the Japanese internment camps really drove that point home. They definitely won't lay a hand on US citizens.

You'll note that I said ALL of the US military. Some would certainly follow orders. Others would conscientiously object.
Jun 13 2016 11:57am
Quote (Diutinus @ Jun 13 2016 12:48pm)
I'm fully aware, I'm not very familiar with guns, so that was my error. I choose to have nothing to do with guns.

BUT
People think they need all sorts of intense weaponry when, technically, they're only really "entitled" to the more "plain jane" shit like a pistol, etc.

Quote (dro94 @ Jun 13 2016 12:56pm)
A libertarian may argue that civilians should be allowed to own every type of weapon that the military and police own, who exist as a result of taxpayer funding. In this scenario, the civilian population would have a good shot at displacing a tyrannical government.

This.^
Gold: 1,189.90
Jun 13 2016 12:03pm
Quote (dro94 @ Jun 13 2016 10:56am)

Even if you could own every type of weapon the military does, which will never happen, you couldn't afford it. An organized militia couldn't even afford it. About half of the entire GDP of the US is spent on military funding. Good luck buying that F-22 Raptor and the mechanics needed to service it.
Gold: 2.70
Jun 13 2016 12:07pm
Quote (AnimeFTW @ Jun 13 2016 06:03pm)
Even if you could own every type of weapon the military does, which will never happen, you couldn't afford it. An organized militia couldn't even afford it. About half of the entire GDP of the US is spent on military funding. Good luck buying that F-22 Raptor and the mechanics needed to service it.

challenge accepted!
Gold: 0.00
Jun 13 2016 12:11pm
Quote (AnimeFTW @ Jun 13 2016 01:03pm)

However, since it is extremely unlikely that every single member of our armed forces would agree with orders to carry out strikes against our own population, the chances of individuals (or entire units) defecting, and bringing their equipment with the support of the populace is reasonably much higher than zero. This is particularly more likely with National Guard/Reserve units, and they have their own air wings, with their own F-22s, complete with pilots AND maintenance personnel.
Jun 13 2016 12:13pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jun 13 2016 01:11pm)
However, since it is extremely unlikely that every single member of our armed forces would agree with orders to carry out strikes against our own population, the chances of individuals (or entire units) defecting, and bringing their equipment with the support of the populace is reasonably much higher than zero. This is particularly more likely with National Guard/Reserve units, and they have their own air wings, with their own F-22s, complete with pilots AND maintenance personnel.

Stop, you're making too much sense.
Gold: 3.33
Jun 13 2016 12:14pm
Quote (AnimeFTW @ Jun 13 2016 07:03pm)

You could get anti aircraft guns and some fairly high grade stuff without absolutely breaking the bank. I'm sure a few (rich) nuts like Ted Nugent would buy some proper shit if he had the opportunity. I agree with your point, just playing devil's advocate.
Gold: 1,497.83
Jun 13 2016 12:24pm
Because firearms are generally more effective at killing than other weapons such as a knife or axe
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic