d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > I Spent $23,000 Today
Prev19101112Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 28,495.00
Jul 3 2016 06:04pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 28 2016 11:41pm)
Today I burned through about $23,000.

$17k or so went to paying off the venue/food for the wedding, which was about 90% of the total cost.
I put $5500 into my Roth IRA today since the market took a downturn due to Brexit. Assuming it'll go up today, good time to do it.
Upped my mortgage payment by my principle amount. Isn't it crazy how a $1359 mortgage payment has only $360 of that total being principle? Meaning $1000 of my $1360 mortgage is essentially just poof money to interest tax and insurance. So I upped it by $360/month to pay it off in half the time.
Makes money in the long run, but right now I feel poor.

sounds like you've got thing's Sorted out^^
Gold: 7,841.00
Jul 3 2016 09:30pm
Quote (M_i_t @ Jun 28 2016 09:44am)
Paying house quicker Is worth it

Marriage Is a mistake but you ll figure it on your own

lul
Gold: 0.00
Jul 3 2016 09:39pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 30 2016 10:04am)
"hard and uncomfortable" jobs don't pay shit anymore. Maybe warehouse worker, but that's really the last bastion in unskilled labor paying a decent wage.

That's kind of bullshit, despite what people say, there are still quite a few manufacturing/industry jobs in this country that pay HS educated people $20-30/hr...Food, industrial chemicals, paper/board, plastics + polymers, pharmaceuticals, oil, semi conductors....all of these and more are still very much alive in this country and pay very good wages.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 3 2016 09:41pm
Quote (RzChaos @ Jul 3 2016 09:39pm)
That's kind of bullshit, despite what people say, there are still quite a few manufacturing/industry jobs in this country that pay HS educated people $20-30/hr...Food, industrial chemicals, paper/board, plastics + polymers, pharmaceuticals, oil, semi conductors....all of these and more are still very much alive in this country and pay very good wages.

What job in food?

Industrial chemicals.... not so much. I'm a chemist. If you want to get a job at Sigma or some other supplier you're going to need a bachelors in a related field. Same with pharmaceuticals and semiconductors. You can get a job on an oil rig maybe, but it's hardly stable and requires 6 months at a time away from your family. That's not viable for everybody, but it does count as an "uncomfortable" job that pays well.

It's a bit hard to evaluate if this statement is true or not because it's pretty vague. Can you be more specific?
Gold: 9.11
Warn: 70%
Jul 3 2016 09:45pm
tell me about job that pays well, im all for it.
Jul 3 2016 09:52pm
Have you every actually worked in a manufacturing environment? Equipment/Process operators are almost always HS educated people. Those with bachelors + degrees are the engineers/managers, who work on improving the process.

Companies like BASF, Dow, Dupont hire uneducated operators.
Industrial sausage manufacturing...juice manufacturing

To be more specific....

My first job was a Process engineer at a paperboard mill. About 160 hourly HS educated employee, wages ranged from about $20-28/hour (And constant overtime opportunities). These employees were the ones who actually made/ran the equipment that produced the paperboard. All day in a noisy (constant ear protection) and hot environment (Had to be very mindful of employees during upset conditions as overheating was quite common). We were constantly hiring employees, as many people would come for the money and then leave after a few months of working under the conditions + swing shift.

Current job is a process quality engineer at Pfizer...same deal, mostly uneducated hourly work force, educated management/engineers. Admittedly, hourly workforce here doesn't have it too bad, as the nature of the product requires a much cleaner/controlled environment.

This post was edited by RzChaos on Jul 3 2016 09:55pm
Jul 3 2016 10:09pm
Quote (RzChaos @ Jul 3 2016 09:52pm)
Have you every actually worked in a manufacturing environment? Equipment/Process operators are almost always HS educated people. Those with bachelors + degrees are the engineers/managers, who work on improving the process.

Companies like BASF, Dow, Dupont hire uneducated operators.
Industrial sausage manufacturing...juice manufacturing

To be more specific....

My first job was a Process engineer at a paperboard mill. About 160 hourly HS educated employee, wages ranged from about $20-28/hour (And constant overtime opportunities). These employees were the ones who actually made/ran the equipment that produced the paperboard. All day in a noisy (constant ear protection) and hot environment (Had to be very mindful of employees during upset conditions as overheating was quite common). We were constantly hiring employees, as many people would come for the money and then leave after a few months of working under the conditions + swing shift.

Current job is a process quality engineer at Pfizer...same deal, mostly uneducated hourly work force, educated management/engineers. Admittedly, hourly workforce here doesn't have it too bad, as the nature of the product requires a much cleaner/controlled environment.

Interesting. What kind of jobs do they do specifically for that kind of pay?

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jul 3 2016 10:09pm
Jul 3 2016 10:20pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jul 3 2016 11:09pm)
Interesting. What kind of jobs do they do specifically for that kind of pay?

Wide range depending on the position.

More senior hourly employees would typically be monitoring/running the process in control rooms through a DCS.
Some employees would be responsible for quality testing/inspection on product.
Some employees were more of a material handling, taking and modifying the product to meet the size/quantity of customers requirements.

The shitty times would be during a machine break, at which point they'd all be responsible for getting the machine running again.
They'd all be responsible for performing preventative maintenance duties during planned outages..

Kind of hard to explain their duties to someone who hasn't worked in a paperboard mill...things can vary a lot from day to day.

I'll note that even our janitors were making ~$20/hour thanks to the USW.

During good times they're making very good pay for actually doing very little, if things were running smoothly they could probably sleep for 6 out of 8 hours of their shifts, but during upset conditions things can go to hell real fast and that's where they earn their money.

This post was edited by RzChaos on Jul 3 2016 10:23pm
Jul 3 2016 10:28pm
Quote (RzChaos @ Jul 3 2016 10:20pm)
Wide range depending on the position.

More senior hourly employees would typically be monitoring/running the process in control rooms through a DCS.
Some employees would be responsible for quality testing/inspection on product.
Some employees were more of a material handling, taking and modifying the product to meet the size/quantity of customers requirements.

The shitty times would be during a machine break, at which point they'd all be responsible for getting the machine running again.
They'd all be responsible for performing preventative maintenance duties during planned outages..

Kind of hard to explain their duties to someone who hasn't worked in a paperboard mill...things can vary a lot from day to day.

I'll note that even our janitors were making ~$20/hour thanks to the USW.

During good times they're making very good pay for actually doing very little, if things were running smoothly they could probably sleep for 6 out of 8 hours of their shifts, but during upset conditions things can go to hell real fast and that's where they earn their money.

I'm aware of things like paper mills, although they aren't very common anymore. There's only one place like that where I live which is a warehouse that pays very well. Sure they exist, but they're not really a solution for a lot of the population.

I'm more interested in the high school educated workers at Pfizer making 20-30 an hour.
Gold: 9.11
Warn: 70%
Jul 3 2016 10:29pm
but but, but what about the Ghetto Gospel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5MMmEygsY
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev19101112Next
Add Reply New Topic