d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > Should I
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 4.00
Jul 9 2016 02:19pm
Quote (cjlove90 @ Jul 9 2016 03:07pm)
Which book are you hoping to read?

I have half of Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" left.
Gold: 222.46
Jul 9 2016 02:43pm
Quote (ringo794 @ Jul 9 2016 09:19pm)
I have half of Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" left.

give me deets
Jul 9 2016 02:59pm
Quote (FaceDeath @ Jul 9 2016 03:43pm)
give me deets

It is a book that is heavily about skeptical thinking. More so, it focuses on approaching things scientifically.
There is a strong focus on considering the applications of scientific thought.
For example, one thing I relate heavily to is this.
He talks about how some things (the paranormal, religion, etc) are heavily believed and can not be disproved.
However, he criticizes these things because they can not be, by their own definitions, disproved and thus should not be given scientific respect.
He also discusses how people play so heavily into belief of extra-terrestrial visitors, ghosts, etc, but brings up a great point.
Whenever people describe these things, they are in terms and descriptions that are familiar to us. In other words, they are built from what we already know.
That is because a lot of this stuff is our imaginations getting the best of us. Many people who have "seen" aliens believe it heavily, but evidence shows that they seem to be constructed from those own people's minds.
It's ok to have dreams or visualizations, most people do. However, he criticizes paying attention too heavily to things that are not backed up with much evidence.

In other words, it's a big book of debunking.
Jul 9 2016 03:07pm
sounds quite interesting actually
i agree with his general idea about where these ideas come from but i dont agree they shouldn't be given scientific respect because they cant be disproved tho obv they should just be individually assessed on the evidence provided and still i wouldnt agree with a lot of it
i thought it was going to be fiction
Jul 9 2016 03:10pm
Quote (FaceDeath @ Jul 9 2016 04:07pm)
sounds quite interesting actually
i agree with his general idea about where these ideas come from but i dont agree they shouldn't be given scientific respect because they cant be disproved tho obv they should just be individually assessed on the evidence provided and still i wouldnt agree with a lot of it
i thought it was going to be fiction

well, scientific respect (kind of a weird phrase, my bad) comes from being testable and based on observation.
When something is not testable and based on questionable observation, I do not believe that it deserves scientific respect.
HOWEVER, I do respect people's beliefs. I do not however, respect in regards to science, beliefs such as god, ghosts, aliens, etc.
At the same time, you will never hear me say that these things aren't real. That is just as unscientific as saying that they are.
Jul 9 2016 03:13pm
i agree with that completely lol i describe myself as agnostic etc
Jul 9 2016 03:15pm
Quote (FaceDeath @ Jul 9 2016 04:13pm)
i agree with that completely lol i describe myself as agnostic etc

same
decided I was an atheist when I was 6 which I'm actually quite proud of haha.
Jul 9 2016 03:18pm
Quote (ringo794 @ Jul 9 2016 10:15pm)
same
decided I was an atheist when I was 6 which I'm actually quite proud of haha.

yeah i used to be an atheist till i thought about it properly
i think i liked the debate trying to prove there was no god
Gold: 30.00
Jul 9 2016 03:20pm
Quote (ringo794 @ Jul 9 2016 09:59pm)
It is a book that is heavily about skeptical thinking. More so, it focuses on approaching things scientifically.
There is a strong focus on considering the applications of scientific thought.
For example, one thing I relate heavily to is this.
He talks about how some things (the paranormal, religion, etc) are heavily believed and can not be disproved.
However, he criticizes these things because they can not be, by their own definitions, disproved and thus should not be given scientific respect.
He also discusses how people play so heavily into belief of extra-terrestrial visitors, ghosts, etc, but brings up a great point.
Whenever people describe these things, they are in terms and descriptions that are familiar to us. In other words, they are built from what we already know.
That is because a lot of this stuff is our imaginations getting the best of us. Many people who have "seen" aliens believe it heavily, but evidence shows that they seem to be constructed from those own people's minds.
It's ok to have dreams or visualizations, most people do. However, he criticizes paying attention too heavily to things that are not backed up with much evidence.

In other words, it's a big book of debunking.

So he wrote a book on positivism 200 years after the other positivists.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 9 2016 03:20pm
French most beautiful language
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic