d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > General Archive > Is It Right To Eat Animals?
Prev123410Next
Closed New Topic
Gold: 16,240.00
Jul 1 2016 08:34am
Quote (BebebBurns @ Jul 1 2016 01:37pm)
actually i dont think majority mind enough how they are treated since they are eating whatever is tastiest / cheapest
i think we should (obviously stop subsiding meat/dairy/egg) start taxing factory farmed meat and dairy progressively up until ban it totally

i dont think its right but if they would have full Free life (which isnt the case at all when factory farmed so their life isnt worth living)

i dont think it is or should be religious at all but religious people should be in avant garde of not eating animals

I think religion is totally important here, if consciousness is something that occurs naturally within our universe then who cares if we create and destroy it at will. But if it's something special that comes from elsewhere then maybe it isn't right to bring it into a less than ideal existence.

I wasn't saying that animals don't suffer etc, I'm saying that we should be able to eat them without them suffering so it shouldn't factor into the argument. You mentioned hunting earlier, there's no reason that an animal that gets eaten should lead a different life to one out of captivity. Although if you look at milk/wool etc it gets more complicated ofc, you could drug them up and do it while they sleep :)

Anyway if you refrain from eating meat how are the powers to be supposed to know its because you don't like the way they're treated. Need to make a fuss about it as well otherwise there's plenty of reasons to not eat meat

Gold: 0.00
Jul 1 2016 08:35am
I wish we replaced half of the animal protein with insect protein, and increase the living standards of animals raised for meat as well as improving the method used for killing them to be more humane.

This post was edited by Metalkon on Jul 1 2016 08:36am
Gold: 2.20
Jul 1 2016 08:43am
I raise chickens and turkeys and they lead seemingly rich fulfilling lives. They grow up to become wings, fajitas, and fried golden goodness.
Jul 1 2016 08:44am
Quote (Nathan @ Jul 1 2016 01:46pm)
It would be unfair to call the lives of the vast majority of farmed animals anything but pure suffering. Many argue about that the real value of life--the reason behind it being immoral to end a life, is that it's the deprivation of future value from subjective experience, which animals have. But not all subjective experience is valuable, such as is obviously the case when the only thing you experience is suffering. There is empirical evidence that a living and feeling being prefers death to life with only suffering and that is the actions of the suicidal (emotionally in pain) and the begging for mercy killing of the fatally ill/wounded (physically in pain). So by doing onto animals what's even worse than death in terms of what they prefer, it would be hard to argue it's any better that they were given life.

You've based your argument on the fact that animals suffer immensely, in which case it obviously isn't right to give them life but probably becomes ok to end it

But what if we make it so they don't suffer, we shouldn't kill them because it deprives them of experience? but we've given them those experience in the first place. When the death (even a premature one) becomes the reason for the life it all gets very blurry.

Gold: 40.42
Jul 1 2016 08:48am
Lol, "well, if we didn't bring them into an existence of horrible suffering that often ends in a messy, terrible death, they wouldn't exist at all!" - someone who is definitely not trying too hard to justify liking cheeseburgers
Jul 1 2016 08:51am
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Jul 1 2016 02:48pm)
Lol, "well, if we didn't bring them into an existence of horrible suffering that often ends in a messy, terrible death, they wouldn't exist at all!" - someone who is definitely not trying too hard to justify liking cheeseburgers

right, except i specified without the horrible suffering several times...

Here's where I'm coming from with this, basically a religious idea that there's some sort of god who experiences everything that all life/consciousness goes through. In which case making life that wouldn't have existed would just give this entity more experiences to work with. Actually you could say that it might experience suffering differently to us and take it out of it, not such a negative just part of the variety. Although you could argue that an overabundance of mundane experiences wouldn't be in the entity's interest, but as it's god I like to think human reasoning like wouldn't be a factor.

This post was edited by dakariii on Jul 1 2016 09:04am
Gold: 40.42
Jul 1 2016 08:57am
Quote (dakariii @ 1 Jul 2016 06:51)
right, except i specified without the horrible suffering several times...

How about if we just take the meat without killing them, through noninvasive surgery, since we're fantasizing?
Jul 1 2016 09:05am
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Jul 1 2016 02:57pm)
How about if we just take the meat without killing them, through noninvasive surgery, since we're fantasizing?

Your trying to be ironic but it seems like a valid point to me!
Gold: 0.00
Jul 1 2016 09:16am
I wouldn't mind if meatballs were made from 50% ground up insects if they tasted alright and didn't cost more than normal meatballs. (insects are cheaper than meat so one would assume it would be cheaper)
Gold: 206.00
Jul 1 2016 09:19am
yes, they are delicious
Go Back To General Archive Topic List
Prev123410Next
Closed New Topic