d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Site Suggestions > Site Suggestions Archive >
Poll > Encouraging Words > A Separation Of The 'p' And 'r' In Pard
Prev13456711Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 515.11
Feb 7 2010 02:53pm
This forum, at heart, is a Diablo 2 forum. There are a lot of juveniles here that are very angry at religion in general. Splitting up Pard would solve nothing.

Give a few of the Pard regulars some form of moderating status in the Pard to regulate the garbage that flows into the Pard. Once it developes a reputation for intelligent discussion and not stupid flamefests will it be a decent place to post your opinions.

Praising a religious deity or posting a daily scripture does not invite discussion. Making a thread where the OP makes a claim that God exists or does not exists also invites no discussion. The problem isn't that politics and religion are combined into one subforum, the problem is that your random poster does not know how to substantiate his claim and he generally resorts to flames over the Internet for lack of this.

Quote (Shanny @ Feb 7 2010 03:49pm)
That suggestion is not solid in my opinion. If we can't post our love of God then others can't post their hate. What's good for one is good for the other. It would be different if there was more discussion and debate than bashing and harassment, but there's not.

Ignore them? Ok, ignore us. Ignore the praise threads. It works both ways you see. I am very secure in my beliefs :)

Your praise of God does not invite discussion. If you can't understand that, then I suggest you leave.

This post was edited by Dr_Lecter on Feb 7 2010 02:54pm
Gold: 431.00
Feb 7 2010 03:09pm
Quote (Shanny @ Feb 7 2010 02:49pm)
That suggestion is not solid in my opinion. If we can't post our love of God then others can't post their hate. What's good for one is good for the other. It would be different if there was more discussion and debate than bashing and harassment, but there's not.

Ignore them? Ok, ignore us. Ignore the praise threads. It works both ways you see. I am very secure in my beliefs :)

I'm not saying you can't post your "love of God", I'm saying that it leaves very little room for debate, at least the sort of debate you wouldn't consider offensive. It's very relevant to question God's existence if you were actually having some kind of scripture debate, because the reality of a higher being is the base assumption in most religions. Now if you were discussing higher religious ideas, like issues of morality, there's a great deal of room for constructive debate there. The political and religious discussion forum has a "constructive debate sticky",

I haven't posted in a praise thread for a long while now. I don't think I've ever flamed one. Why don't you give me a rational counter to my first point?

Much of the reason why people keep coming back to the pard is to contribute to some meaningful and intellectual debate, and I don't see why "praising God and Jesus" would be considered either. If anything, flaunting that sort of devotion over the internet is a reward in and of itself, much like the hypocrites in the Bible who rend their clothes, smear ashes on their faces, and pray on street corners in plain sight, and this sort of behavior probably won't win you bonus points with Jesus.

As for the "bashing and harassment", I'm pretty sure you didn't bother to read most of my post. A lot less people gave a shit about this sort of thing until it became a daily spamfest. It's a small forum, people place a lot of value on the discussion content available on the first page, and having several scripture threads is bound to antagonize these sort of people, even those that are somewhat religious. You've been to the pard for maybe a week. I've been there regularly for about two years now. You haven't been there long enough to understand or notice these forum dynamics.

You taking the supposed intolerance of others personally is indicative of your lack of security in your beliefs. If you were comfortable with them, you wouldn't care what anyone else thought about them. That's just how it works.

Gold: 0.00
Feb 7 2010 03:14pm
You've made your points and I've made mine. Nothing I will say will ever even come close to changing how you feel. I agree with some of the things people have said in here but not all of it. There has to be a solution that makes everyone happy. I wish God would show me that answer, but He hasn't yet.

This is turned into a discussion that doesn't belong here and it is the same discussion happening in the PaRD. Lets take our specific veiws there so we can discuss them. :)
Feb 7 2010 03:19pm
Quote (Shanny @ Feb 7 2010 04:14pm)
You've made your points and I've made mine. Nothing I will say will ever even come close to changing how you feel. I agree with some of the things people have said in here but not all of it. There has to be a solution that makes everyone happy. I wish God would show me that answer, but He hasn't yet.

This is turned into a discussion that doesn't belong here and it is the same discussion happening in the PaRD. Lets take our specific veiws there so we can discuss them. :)

It isn't about whether or not he made his points and you made yours, it's that you cannot defend yourself in a debate and in this case, Patton won. That is exactly the problem with Pard, people cannot defend their claims rationally

or figure out how to invite discussion in their threads. There's a term for what you just did, it's called a dodge. Answer his question.
Feb 7 2010 03:21pm
Quote (Dr_Lecter @ Feb 7 2010 04:19pm)
It isn't about whether or not he made his points and you made yours, it's that you cannot defend yourself in a debate and in this case, Patton won. That is exactly the problem with Pard, people cannot defend their claims rationally

or figure out how to invite discussion in their threads. There's a term for what you just did, it's called a dodge. Answer his question.

This isn't a debate thread! People have turned it into one. But you want to debate here ok lets have at it. Lets debate.

There is a God. I don't need tangible proof. Why do you? Discuss.
Feb 7 2010 03:26pm
Quote (Shanny @ Feb 7 2010 04:21pm)
This isn't a debate thread! People have turned it into one. But you want to debate here ok lets have at it. Lets debate.

There is a God. I don't need tangible proof. Why do you? Discuss.

We weren't making this a religious debate, we were making it a debate about the Pard.

You think God exists. That's fine. However, you introduced a claim and you give no evidence for it. I think you need to take Debate 101 or something, because you obviously have no idea how to argue or support a claim.

Now, if you were to introduce the Bible as proof, that would be circular logic. What it boils down to is that all you have is faith and that leaves no room to argue.

I can question God's existence because it takes no support to question something. Unless I make the claim that God does not exist do I need to introduce some evidence to support it.

Edit: You're only strengthening my earlier point.

This post was edited by Dr_Lecter on Feb 7 2010 03:28pm
Feb 7 2010 03:29pm
Quote (Dr_Lecter @ Feb 7 2010 04:26pm)

We weren't making this a religious debate, we were making it a debate about the Pard.

You think God exists. That's fine. However, you introduced a claim and you give no evidence for it. I think you need to take Debate 101 or something, because you obviously have no idea how to argue or support a claim.

Now, if you were to introduce the Bible as proof, that would be circular logic. What it boils down to is that all you have is faith and that leaves no room to argue.

I can question God's existence because it takes no support to question something. Unless I make the claim that God does not exist do I need to introduce some evidence to support it.

This turned into a debate when it shouldn't have. The points being made weren't all about the PaRD. That was my whole point to begin with, I was being sarcastic.

There are things in life that have no logic or tangible proof.
Senior Moderator
Gold: 16,837.97
Trader: Trusted
Feb 7 2010 03:30pm
A strong yes to this.
A forum where spam\flame against ones religion or relgious discussion is not aloud.

Discussion\arguments go in politcal\relgious debate\discussion sub forum.
The other sub forum like you said could be for the things you want, without an persecutors, etc.

I love this, even though im not religious, I back it 100%.
:cheers:
Feb 7 2010 03:30pm
Quote (Shanny @ Feb 7 2010 04:29pm)
This turned into a debate when it shouldn't have. The points being made weren't all about the PaRD. That was my whole point to begin with, I was being sarcastic.

There are things in life that have no logic or tangible proof.

Read his posts. Stop being so juvenile. Consider what he writes. Respond.
Feb 7 2010 03:31pm
Quote (Textbook @ Feb 7 2010 04:30pm)
A strong yes to this.
A forum where spam\flame against ones religion or relgious discussion is not aloud.

Discussion\arguments go in politcal\relgious debate\discussion sub forum.
The other sub forum like you said could be for the things you want, without an persecutors, etc.

I love this, even though im not religious, I back it 100%.
:cheers:

Thank you! You put it well, better than I did lol.

This is what we want! Something to be added, not taken away. I wish I were better at expressing myself!
Go Back To Site Suggestions Archive Topic List
Prev13456711Next
Closed New Topic New Poll