d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Dow Jones Base Jumping > Taking The Plunge
Prev1100101102103104659Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,100.00
Jul 30 2020 02:10pm
Big earnings reports tonight. Guessing amazon and google does well, FB and Apple flatlines.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 30 2020 02:51pm
Quote (SBD @ Jul 30 2020 03:34pm)
Market Summary > VANGUARD US TOTAL MARKET IDX UNT ETF
TSE: VUN
60.11 CAD +0.24 (0.40%)

Good. - Stocks go up.

But really, I am everyday waiting for this bubble to burst. Why are so many companies all of a sudden worth more now than pre-covid? It doesn't make sense. There was already a massive shift to online shopping regardless of COVID.

With no sports betting you have a significant influx of day traders as shown by indicators like Robinhood users & transactions. Before I invest I look at the balance sheet of any company. I don't even look at the income statement if it has a bad balance sheet. These tech companies balance sheets are horrible. Massive debt, many with accumulated deficits indicating they have never made money or lost more money than they have made, big debts coming due in a few years, weak to non-existent free cash flow. The bubble has to burst.

The stock market is so detached from the economy it's not even funny at this point. I used to really think one was a measure of the other but it is just not true. We are at the height of commodity fetishism.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 30 2020 02:56pm
Quote (SBD @ Jul 30 2020 02:34pm)
Market Summary > VANGUARD US TOTAL MARKET IDX UNT ETF
TSE: VUN
60.11 CAD +0.24 (0.40%)

Good. - Stocks go up.

But really, I am everyday waiting for this bubble to burst. Why are so many companies all of a sudden worth more now than pre-covid? It doesn't make sense. There was already a massive shift to online shopping regardless of COVID.

With no sports betting you have a significant influx of day traders as shown by indicators like Robinhood users & transactions. Before I invest I look at the balance sheet of any company. I don't even look at the income statement if it has a bad balance sheet. These tech companies balance sheets are horrible. Massive debt, many with accumulated deficits indicating they have never made money or lost more money than they have made, big debts coming due in a few years, weak to non-existent free cash flow. The bubble has to burst.

When I invested I did the same. If a tech company (I focused on small pharma) didn't have at least 2 years of research funds after subtracting debts I stayed away.

If they did, ride the waves. Buy and sell every few days on that sweet sweet volatility, especially around FDA letters.
Gold: 1.00
Jul 30 2020 03:55pm
Quote (obisent @ Jul 30 2020 02:10pm)
Big earnings reports tonight. Guessing amazon and google does well, FB and Apple flatlines.

Here's the thing. Underlying financial instruments are so complex now and transactions can be so obscure that it's easier than ever to manipulate results.

An audit team consists mainly of young junior auditors , some seniors , senior managers and a few partners by the time quality control is done. The people doing the bulk of the work are the juniors, they want to go home like anyone else in the day so just tell them what they want to hear. Make variances make sense, its regular people who are the watchdogs for these companies, not geniuses. Most places can get away with murder before anyone notices.
Gold: 3,100.00
Jul 30 2020 04:07pm
Quote (SBD @ Jul 30 2020 05:55pm)
Here's the thing. Underlying financial instruments are so complex now and transactions can be so obscure that it's easier than ever to manipulate results.

An audit team consists mainly of young junior auditors , some seniors , senior managers and a few partners by the time quality control is done. The people doing the bulk of the work are the juniors, they want to go home like anyone else in the day so just tell them what they want to hear. Make variances make sense, its regular people who are the watchdogs for these companies, not geniuses. Most places can get away with murder before anyone notices.

Hindsight says I was half wrong here, they’re all pumping in after hours.. lol. Anyone that did earning plays on tech/amazon is getting paid tomorrow.

This post was edited by obisent on Jul 30 2020 04:18pm
Gold: 57.00
Jul 30 2020 04:43pm
Quote (obisent @ 30 Jul 2020 16:10)

aapl knocked it out of the park. and they're splitting their stock again. i will buy fairly heavy again like i did during the last split :P
Gold: 12,030.00
Jul 30 2020 05:24pm
Quote (excellence @ Jul 30 2020 06:43pm)
aapl knocked it out of the park. and they're splitting their stock again. i will buy fairly heavy again like i did during the last split :P

Pretty soon we’re going to end up in a blade runner type of society with like a handful of corporations owning everything including govt
Gold: 1.00
Jul 30 2020 05:27pm
Quote (obisent @ Jul 30 2020 04:07pm)
Hindsight says I was half wrong here, they’re all pumping in after hours.. lol. Anyone that did earning plays on tech/amazon is getting paid tomorrow.

I have been doing very little timing as of late. I have honestly not known at all what do do with my bi-weekly deposit so I have just been averaging down on Canadian banks since they haven't recovered from COVID and its a relatively safe play with a high dividend yield at worst.

The tech bubble has me wary, they hold so much of the S&P's total market share (MSFT through Alphabet) that I remain cautious but still contribute to something.

On a laughable note I keep 3 months of living expenses in a savings account. I notice that the HIGH INTEREST savings account is now 0.05%.
Gold: 57.00
Jul 30 2020 06:44pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 30 Jul 2020 19:24)
Pretty soon we’re going to end up in a blade runner type of society with like a handful of corporations owning everything including govt

lol blade runner takes place in 2019. it is 2020 and we do live in this existence it just didnt end up being a totally dystopian future where it always rains (at least where i live) and there are cyborgs and flying cars.

great movie tho. definitely was one that helped pique my lifelong interest in sci-fi and fantasy tropes.
Gold: 12,030.00
Jul 30 2020 08:09pm
Quote (excellence @ Jul 30 2020 08:44pm)
lol blade runner takes place in 2019. it is 2020 and we do live in this existence it just didnt end up being a totally dystopian future where it always rains (at least where i live) and there are cyborgs and flying cars.

great movie tho. definitely was one that helped pique my lifelong interest in sci-fi and fantasy tropes.

I seen the older one after the new one with gosling ,new one I think is like 2100? Really fantastic film from the music/sound choice to the philosophical layers.

Ridley Scott makes amazing movies and is my favorite director even though he’s probably a pedo just like most of Hollywood.
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev1100101102103104659Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll