d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > User Blogs > Jupes Reading/listening Blog Dont @ Me
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 2,195.46
Oct 11 2023 03:59am
Last year I watched a lecture series titled 'The Modern Political Tradition' and towards the end featured a lecture that focused on three books published in the 1990s: The end of history and the last man by Francis Fukuyama; Clash of Civilizations by Samuel P. Huntington; and Jihad vs. McWorld by Benjamin Barber. I planned to get around to reading them, and so far I've read one.

The End of History and the Last Man Audible Logo Audible Audiobook
by Francis Fukuyama

Ever since its first publication in 1992, The End of History and the Last Man has provoked controversy and debate. Francis Fukuyama's prescient analysis of religious fundamentalism, politics, scientific progress, ethical codes, and war is as essential for a world fighting fundamentalist terrorists as it was for the end of the Cold War. Now updated with a new afterword, The End of History and the Last Man is a modern classic.

This one was very fascinating with a lot insight into all sorts of different qualities of liberal democracies and what led to them, but looking at how things have progressed since the book was published, things seem kind of bleak today! The concept of thumos was new to me, and I am inclined to think that much has been attributed to it. Despite that, much like Steven Pinker mentions in his book (he actually took a jab at Clash of Civilizations in his work, which I've yet to read) societies have reduced their warfare and violence in general has decreased immensely compared to the past, especially in liberal democracies. Looking forward to picking up Clash of Civilizations next.
Oct 13 2023 02:06pm
It's been around 6 months since I've made this thread, and so far I've been having a good time. I believe I've completed i believe ~20 books so far, which ain't too shabby. Looking forward to picking up some of the older philosophy works, as well as more contemporary work. And with that, I figured at the beginning of the week I wanted to pick up this next and finish it by the 6 month mark.

On Liberty
by John Stuart Mil

Discussed and debated from time immemorial, the concept of personal liberty went without codification until the 1859 publication of On Liberty. John Stuart Mill's complete and resolute dedication to the cause of freedom inspired this treatise, an enduring work through which the concept remains well known and studied.
The British economist, philosopher, and ethical theorist's argument does not focus on "the so-called Liberty of the Will…but Civil, or Social Liberty: the nature and limits of the power which can be legitimately exercised by society over the individual." Mill asks and answers provocative questions relating to the boundaries of social authority and individual sovereignty. In powerful and persuasive prose, he declares that there is "one very simple principle" regarding the use of coercion in society — one may only coerce others either to defend oneself or to defend others from harm.
The new edition offers students of political science and philosophy, in an inexpensive volume, one of the most influential studies on the nature of individual liberty and its role in a democratic society.

A rather short but powerful read. I'm utterly disappointed that I don't even remember the book being mentioned back in highschool. I've learned much of his thoughts and ideas in lectures I've listened to, but his work was fantastic, I wish I read it sooner.

Some of my favorite quotes:
“The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest.”

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”

But it is not on the impassioned partisan, it is on the calmer and more disinterested bystander, that this collision of opinions works its salutary effect. Not the violent conflict between parts of the truth, but the quiet suppression of half of it, is the formidable evil; there is always hope when people are forced to listen to both sides; it is when they attend only to one that errors harden into prejudices, and truth itself ceases to have the effect of truth, by being exaggerated into falsehood

The worth of a State, in the long run, is the worth of the individuals composing it; and a State which postpones the interests of their mental expansion and elevation, to a little more of administrative skill, or that semblance of it which practice gives, in the details of business; a State which dwarfs its men, in order that they may be more docile instruments in its hands even for beneficial purposes—will find that with small men no great thing can really be accomplished; and that the perfection of machinery to which it has sacrificed everything, will in the end avail it nothing, for want of the vital power which, in order that the machine might work more smoothly, it has preferred to banish.

This post was edited by Jupe on Oct 13 2023 02:07pm
Nov 15 2023 04:54am
Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress
by Steven Pinker

If you think the world is coming to an end, think again: people are living longer, healthier, freer, and happier lives, and while our problems are formidable, the solutions lie in the Enlightenment ideal of using reason and science.

Is the world really falling apart? Is the ideal of progress obsolete? In this elegant assessment of the human condition in the third millennium, cognitive scientist and public intellectual Steven Pinker urges us to step back from the gory headlines and prophecies of doom, which play to our psychological biases. Instead, follow the data: In seventy-five jaw-dropping graphs, Pinker shows that life, health, prosperity, safety, peace, knowledge, and happiness are on the rise, not just in the West, but worldwide. This progress is not the result of some cosmic force. It is a gift of the Enlightenment: the conviction that reason and science can enhance human flourishing.

Far from being a naïve hope, the Enlightenment, we now know, has worked. But more than ever, it needs a vigorous defense. The Enlightenment project swims against currents of human nature--tribalism, authoritarianism, demonization, magical thinking--which demagogues are all too willing to exploit. Many commentators, committed to political, religious, or romantic ideologies, fight a rearguard action against it. The result is a corrosive fatalism and a willingness to wreck the precious institutions of liberal democracy and global cooperation.

With intellectual depth and literary flair, Enlightenment Now makes the case for reason, science, and humanism: the ideals we need to confront our problems and continue our progress.]

There's no shortage of people doomsaying or bemoaning the terribleness of the world today, especially in the west; this book is a perfect response to those people. I've always found it bizarre that people think today is not the best time to be alive. As one of the lecturers in a series I listened to awhile back quipped something along the lines, "I'd not trade living now for any time in the past, if only for the reasons I don't want to die from drinking tainted water from my well, the likelihood that my children will make it to adulthood, and modern medicine." Thoroughly enjoyable book, I'd 100% recommend it.

Nov 16 2023 05:46am
With the recent Israel-Hamas drama unfolding, a lot of the podcasts I follow have released content on the matter. One by Sam Harris I listened to was rather good, and he referenced this book as a means to more detail on the matter of Islam as a whole, and so I picked it up.

Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue
by Sam Harris, Maajid Nawaz

In this short book, Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz invite you to join an urgently needed conversation: Is Islam a religion of peace or war? Is it amenable to reform? Why do so many Muslims seem drawn to extremism? What do words like Islamism, jihadism, and fundamentalism mean in today’s world?

Remarkable for the breadth and depth of its analysis, this dialogue between a famous atheist and a former radical is all the more startling for its decorum. Harris and Nawaz have produced something genuinely new: they engage one of the most polarizing issues of our time―fearlessly and fully―and actually make progress.

Islam and the Future of Tolerance has been published with the explicit goal of inspiring a wider public discussion by way of example. In a world riven by misunderstanding and violence, Harris and Nawaz demonstrate how two people with very different views can find common ground.

A short dialogue, it was rather interesting to hear how people are led into extremist views. How they differentiate between moderate muslims, islamists and jihadists was also an point I've always thought about, as I've known plenty of Muslims who are just going about their business. I will say that it doesn't seem as if there's been much progress in the past almost 10 years, and especially so on the 'progressive left' in their concept of islamophobia. Good listen though.

This post was edited by Jupe on Nov 16 2023 05:51am
Nov 17 2023 04:22pm
After the End of History: Conversations with Francis Fukuyama
by Francis Fukuyama Mathilde Fasting (Editor)

Intimate access to the mind of Francis Fukuyama and his reflections on world politics, his life and career, and the evolution of his thought

In his 1992 best-selling book The End of History and the Last Man, American political scientist Francis Fukuyama argued that the dominance of liberal democracy marked the end of humanity's political and ideological development. Thirty years later, with populism on the rise and the number of liberal democracies decreasing worldwide, Fukuyama revisits his classic thesis.

A series of in-depth interviews between Fukuyama and editor Mathilde Fasting, After the End of History offers a wide-ranging analysis of liberal democracy today. Drawing on Fukuyama's work on identity, biotechnology, and political order, the book provides essential insight into the rise of authoritarianism and the greatest threats faced by democracy in our present world.

Diving into topics like the surprise election of Donald Trump, the destruction of social and political norms, and the rise of China, Fukuyama deftly explains the plight of liberal democracy and explores how we might prevent its further decline. He also covers personal topics, reflects on his life and career, the evolution of his thinking, and some of his most important books.

Insightful and important, After the End of History grants unprecedented access to one of the greatest political minds of our time.

I enjoyed both the End of History and the Last Man, and the Clash of Civilizations; I'm going to eventually get around to reading Jihad vs Mcworld, but I saw that this was released relatively recently, so I wanted to grab it. Quite interesting to see how the world has changed since the original publication, things do be lookin pretty wild out there these days, especially the past year or so.

He mentioned a couple books which sound great, and I'll think I'll grab them soon.
Capitalism, Alone: The Future of the System That Rules the World
by Branko Milanovic
The Great Reversal: How America Gave Up on Free Markets Hardcover
by Thomas Philippon

~

I'm also getting around to finishing the Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (big slacking), as well as The Expanding Circle by Peter Singer

This post was edited by Jupe on Nov 17 2023 04:27pm
Dec 13 2023 06:57am
Capitalism, Alone: The Future of the System That Rules the World
by Branko Milanovic

We are all capitalists now. For the first time in human history, the world is dominated by one economic system. At some level capitalism has triumphed because it works: it delivers prosperity and gratifies our desire for autonomy. But this comes at a moral price, pushing us to treat material success as the ultimate goal, and offers no guarantee of stability. While Western liberal capitalism creaks under the strains of inequality and excess, some are flaunting the virtues of political capitalism, exemplified by China, which may be more efficient, but is also vulnerable to corruption and social unrest.

One of the outstanding economists of his generation, Branko Milanovic mines the data to tell his ambitious and compelling story. Capitalism gets a lot wrong, he argues, but also much right―and it isn’t going away anytime soon. Our task is to improve it in the hopes that a more equitable capitalism can take hold.

I would recommend picking up the book if only for the reason to read the chapter describing capitalism as it functions under western nations, and especially in America. I remember years back, one of my friends had made a comment that the direction America is going in is that of a new aristocracy - this does seem to be the case, although I don't think that is new information to anyone. The other chapter I really enjoyed covered immigration and described how there is an ever-present incentive for people not born in successful developed nations to attempt to get to one; high pay for labor, generous welfare systems, rule of law, safety, stability, etc. It's a really fascinating subject and I plan to read more on it at some point.

The conversation surrounding inequality is certainty going nowhere, especially as the gap increases. The previous book I read, Enlightenment Now, had a chapter that focused on this very subject. The author made the argument that inequality in a country is not a problem as long as everyone ends up benefitting. I think this is going to be a major point in the coming years.

“What do we find overall, then, when we compare inequalities in the different versions of capitalism? In all six aspects examined here, liberal meritocratic capitalism displays features that enhance inequality. It differs from classical capitalism most distinctively in the feature that capital-rich individuals are also labor-rich, and probably also in greater assortative mating. It differs significantly from social-democratic capitalism in several respects: it exhibits a rising aggregate share of capital in net income, it has labor-rich capitalists, it almost certainly has a greater prevalence of assortative mating, and it most likely has greater intergenerational transmission of inequality.”
― Branko Milanović, Capitalism, Alone

This post was edited by Jupe on Dec 13 2023 06:58am
Dec 17 2023 07:40am
The Great Reversal: How America Gave Up on Free Markets
by Thomas Philippon

In this much-anticipated book, a leading economist argues that many key problems of the American economy are due not to the flaws of capitalism or the inevitabilities of globalization but to the concentration of corporate power. By lobbying against competition, the biggest firms drive profits higher while depressing wages and limiting opportunities for investment, innovation, and growth.

Why are cell-phone plans so much more expensive in the United States than in Europe? It seems a simple question. But the search for an answer took Thomas Philippon on an unexpected journey through some of the most complex and hotly debated issues in modern economics. Ultimately he reached his surprising conclusion: American markets, once a model for the world, are giving up on healthy competition. Sector after economic sector is more concentrated than it was twenty years ago, dominated by fewer and bigger players who lobby politicians aggressively to protect and expand their profit margins. Across the country, this drives up prices while driving down investment, productivity, growth, and wages, resulting in more inequality. Meanwhile, Europe―long dismissed for competitive sclerosis and weak antitrust―is beating America at its own game.

Philippon, one of the world’s leading economists, did not expect these conclusions in the age of Silicon Valley start-ups and millennial millionaires. But the data from his cutting-edge research proved undeniable. In this compelling tale of economic detective work, we follow him as he works out the basic facts and consequences of industry concentration in the U.S. and Europe, shows how lobbying and campaign contributions have defanged antitrust regulators, and considers what all this means for free trade, technology, and innovation. For the sake of ordinary Americans, he concludes, government needs to return to what it once did best: keeping the playing field level for competition. It’s time to make American markets great―and free―again.

Pretty cool book, the thesis is straightforward and the entire book is spent providing in-depth detail to justify it. This is another one of those ideas that I see floated around every so often, and I don't think many people would outright disagree with it. Prior to reading this book though, I was certainly not aware of how intense the situation has gotten. Fairly skeptical at this point that things will change in a positive direction :ph34r:

This post was edited by Jupe on Dec 17 2023 07:42am
Jan 1 2024 12:15pm
I haven't stopped picking up some quality reads, but I have been slackin af on updating this blog

Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment
by Francis Fukuyama

The New York Times bestselling author of The Origins of Political Order offers a provocative examination of modern identity politics: its origins, its effects, and what it means for domestic and international affairs of state

In 2014, Francis Fukuyama wrote that American institutions were in decay, as the state was progressively captured by powerful interest groups. Two years later, his predictions were borne out by the rise to power of a series of political outsiders whose economic nationalism and authoritarian tendencies threatened to destabilize the entire international order. These populist nationalists seek direct charismatic connection to “the people,” who are usually defined in narrow identity terms that offer an irresistible call to an in-group and exclude large parts of the population as a whole.

Demand for recognition of one’s identity is a master concept that unifies much of what is going on in world politics today. The universal recognition on which liberal democracy is based has been increasingly challenged by narrower forms of recognition based on nation, religion, sect, race, ethnicity, or gender, which have resulted in anti-immigrant populism, the upsurge of politicized Islam, the fractious “identity liberalism” of college campuses, and the emergence of white nationalism. Populist nationalism, said to be rooted in economic motivation, actually springs from the demand for recognition and therefore cannot simply be satisfied by economic means. The demand for identity cannot be transcended; we must begin to shape identity in a way that supports rather than undermines democracy.

Identity is an urgent and necessary book―a sharp warning that unless we forge a universal understanding of human dignity, we will doom ourselves to continuing conflict.

I've wanted to get around to reading more literature about identity politics since it's such a popular topic these days, and it turns out that Fukuyama wrote exactly on the subject, what luck!

In the beginning, Fukuyama claims that identity as it is currently understood, can be traced back to specific enlightenment era thinkers. In the current era, identity began to fragment; whereas groups first sought equal treatment, they soon split demanding recognition of their group's 'lived experience' and unique way of life.
Identity, which had formerly been a quality of an individual, was now property of groups, seen as having their own cultures, shaped by their own lived experiences.

A particular question I've seen brought up quite often was also addressed later in the book: why did the Left abandon the working class?
The left continued to be defined by its passion for equality, but that agenda shifted from its earlier emphasis on the conditions of the working class to the often psychological demands of an ever-widening circle of marginalized groups. Many activists came to see the working class and its trade unions as having little sympathy for the plight of groups such as immigrants and racial minorities who were less well-off than they were.

Lots of cool stuff in this one, would recommend.

This post was edited by Jupe on Jan 1 2024 12:27pm
Jan 10 2024 06:22am
The New Puritans: How the Religion of Social Justice Captured the Western World
by Andrew Doyle

'A sober but devastating skewering of cancel culture and the moral certainties it shares with religious fundamentalism' Sunday Times

Leading a cultural revolution driven by identity politics and so-called 'social justice', the new puritanism movement is best understood as a religion - one that makes grand claims to moral purity and tolerates no dissent. Its disciples even have their own language, rituals and a determination to root out sinners through what has become known as 'cancel culture'.

In The New Puritans, Andrew Doyle powerfully examines the underlying belief-systems of this ideology, and how it has risen so rapidly to dominate all major political, cultural and corporate institutions. He reasons that, to move forward, we need to understand where these new puritans came from and what they hope to achieve. Written in the spirit of optimism and understanding, Doyle offers an eloquent and powerful case for the reinstatement of liberal values and explains why it's important we act now.

Very entertaining read. While Cynical Theories spent a lot of energy focused on the specific philosophy that supports the identitarian left, I would describe this book as an exploration of the current movement's impact as a whole; anecdote filled of actual circumstances where the new ideology has broke into mainstream and its results. It was also rather refreshing that the author doesn't go out of his way to just demonize every position the 'new puritans' hold, as I imagine a lot of books would do. Would recommend.
Jan 10 2024 07:43am
Liberalism and Its Discontents
by Francis Fukuyama

Classical liberalism is in a state of crisis. Developed in the wake of Europe’s wars over religion and nationalism, liberalism is a system for governing diverse societies, which is grounded in fundamental principles of equality and the rule of law. It emphasizes the rights of individuals to pursue their own forms of happiness free from encroachment by government.

It's no secret that liberalism didn't always live up to its own ideals. In America, many people were denied equality before the law. Who counted as full human beings worthy of universal rights was contested for centuries, and only recently has this circle expanded to include women, African Americans, LGBTQ+ people, and others. Conservatives complain that liberalism empties the common life of meaning. As the renowned political philosopher Francis Fukuyama shows in Liberalism and Its Discontents, the principles of liberalism have also, in recent decades, been pushed to new extremes by both the right and the left: neoliberals made a cult of economic freedom, and progressives focused on identity over human universality as central to their political vision. The result, Fukuyama argues, has been a fracturing of our civil society and an increasing peril to our democracy.

In this short, clear account of our current political discontents, Fukuyama offers an essential defense of a revitalized liberalism for the twenty-first century.

A good summary on how the traditional `left` and `right` have splintered into new
ideologies and what challenges they pose to society today. He does highlight a special concern towards the new identitarian right claiming that it presents a more dire threat towards liberalism than the left. We do be living in a society.
Go Back To User Blogs Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic