d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Solar Power
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 281.64
Mar 10 2023 04:04pm
Quote (robbhc @ 9 Mar 2023 19:43)
It’s not worth the return.
Maintenance is more then it will save you.. and if the end of days happens would be next to impossible to upkeep for a lifetime.

Citation needed. My system has generated 140% of my power needs for over 7 years maintenance free. The system paid for itself in 4.25 years, and the expected life spam of the panels and inverter is 15+ years

The excess power is sold back to the power company, who must by lay pay me market rates for it.

Additionally, at an "end of days scenario" how would traditional power be any better? You'd be out of power instantly once the grid goes down, but sure, keep moving the goalpost for solar.

This post was edited by Cascadian on Mar 10 2023 04:06pm
Gold: 340,405.09
Mar 10 2023 05:11pm
Quote (Cascadian @ Mar 10 2023 04:04pm)
Citation needed. My system has generated 140% of my power needs for over 7 years maintenance free. The system paid for itself in 4.25 years, and the expected life spam of the panels and inverter is 15+ years

The excess power is sold back to the power company, who must by lay pay me market rates for it.

Additionally, at an "end of days scenario" how would traditional power be any better? You'd be out of power instantly once the grid goes down, but sure, keep moving the goalpost for solar.

Nice. How big is your system? Is it roof mounted?
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 40%
Mar 10 2023 05:40pm
Quote (Cascadian @ Mar 10 2023 02:04pm)

Where do you live?

I would like to know more about this. They obviously keep this shit from us here

This post was edited by robbhc on Mar 10 2023 05:40pm
Gold: 1.00
Mar 10 2023 07:00pm
Quote (Cascadian @ Mar 10 2023 03:04pm)

That depends where you live. Our provincial government does not allow for sales back to the grid. The payback period on our systems in our province isn't even remotely worth it. The only way it becomes feisable is via grant money that doesn't yet exist for the individual consumer and only exists for non for profit commercial businesses.

For Ontario or Saskatchewan that pumped provincial money into residential rebates and other forms of subsidy it has made sense but not even province has adopted that.

Highest power bill I've ever had for my three bedroom home with heated garage is 140 bucks for a month. Typically 130 on average. Diesal works for me

This post was edited by SBD on Mar 10 2023 07:10pm
Mar 10 2023 07:15pm
Quote (SBD @ 10 Mar 2023 17:00)
That depends where you live. Our provincial government does not allow for sales back to the grid. The payback period on our systems in our province isn't even remotely worth it. The only way it becomes feisable is via grant money that doesn't yet exist for the individual consumer and only exists for non for profit commercial businesses.

For Ontario or Saskatchewan that pumped provincial money into residential rebates and other forms of subsidy it has made sense but not even province has adopted that.

Highest power bill I've ever had for my three bedroom home with heated garage is 140 bucks for a month. Typically 130 on average. Diesal works for me

Canada has wonky numbers for power since they can generate so much hydroelectric - with access to some of the cheapest power in the world it makes the ROI take longer
Gold: 1.00
Mar 10 2023 07:16pm
Quote (Cascadian @ Mar 10 2023 06:15pm)
Canada has wonky numbers for power since they can generate so much hydroelectric - with access to some of the cheapest power in the world it makes the ROI take longer

Our towns just run diesal plants 24/7. It's just provincially subsidized to the point where solar will never make sense unless our specific provincial government changes its priorities.
Gold: 5.00
Mar 10 2023 07:34pm
Quote (bbs12 @ Mar 9 2023 02:26pm)
Anyone here doing anything with solar heat generating panels or solar electric generating panels?

Had a solar setup on my sailboat. Two panels, mppt charge controller, 3 12v gel batteries isolated to house1/house2/engine circuits, victron inverter, share power switch, shore power charging. Pretty badass setup, pipe dream is to go full EV on a sailing catamaran when I hit the jackpot someday.

For my house, have a couple circuits running through ecoflow setup as an UPS and plan to wire in a solar source next. One runs the well pump and heat tape to keep water line from freezing, other is starlink/router/PC. House is heated by propane with thermoelectric control so its blackout proof until propane run out. Wanting to install a wood burner next, but wife thinks I'm prepper now.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 80%
Mar 10 2023 08:02pm
Quote (Cascadian @ 10 Mar 2023 18:15)

In 2019, Alberta generated 76.1 terawatt hours (TW.h) of electricity (Figure 2), which is approximately 12% of total Canadian generation.

Alberta is the third largest producer of electricity in Canada and has an estimated generating capacity of 16 330 megawatts (MW).

About 89% of electricity in Alberta is produced from fossil fuels– approximately 36% from coal and 54% from natural gas. The remaining 10% is produced from renewables, such as wind, hydro, and biomass.

Alberta, along with Ontario, are the only jurisdictions in Canada that have competitive generation and retail markets for electricity.

Some of Alberta’s largest electricity generators include TransAlta, Heartland Generation, Suncor, ENMAX, and Capital Power.
Mar 10 2023 08:17pm
Quote (death_knight @ 10 Mar 2023 18:02)
In 2019, Alberta generated 76.1 terawatt hours (TW.h) of electricity (Figure 2), which is approximately 12% of total Canadian generation.

Alberta is the third largest producer of electricity in Canada and has an estimated generating capacity of 16 330 megawatts (MW).

About 89% of electricity in Alberta is produced from fossil fuels– approximately 36% from coal and 54% from natural gas. The remaining 10% is produced from renewables, such as wind, hydro, and biomass.

Alberta, along with Ontario, are the only jurisdictions in Canada that have competitive generation and retail markets for electricity.

Some of Alberta’s largest electricity generators include TransAlta, Heartland Generation, Suncor, ENMAX, and Capital Power.

Sorry, I should have clarified renewable - Canada also has insane oil access.
Gold: 340,405.09
Mar 14 2023 06:23pm
Was getting about 134 degrees out of it today...great sun today!
Go Back To General Chat Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll