d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > How Do I Read Faster And More Accurately?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,907.41
Jun 9 2024 01:10pm
Anyone have an ideas on how to read faster and more accurately?
I am always studying english, math, and computer science.
Just need tips on reading faster. If you have any or any resources like books, YouTube videos, links, and etc. Thanks!

This post was edited by hakimtp on Jun 9 2024 01:11pm
Gold: 1.73
Jun 10 2024 08:54pm
it pretty much boils down to read a lot

(i read and review docs for a living, and i read for a hobby. i literally ready thousands of pages a week)

every1 has a different strategy for thinking/learning so retention will be up to you. i never took a lot of notes. mostly just take note of where to find something if i think its important.

This post was edited by Ryvulet on Jun 10 2024 08:55pm
Gold: 1,453.85
Warn: 10%
Jul 3 2024 03:24pm
Quote (Ryvulet @ Jun 10 2024 07:54pm)
it pretty much boils down to read a lot

(i read and review docs for a living, and i read for a hobby. i literally ready thousands of pages a week)

every1 has a different strategy for thinking/learning so retention will be up to you. i never took a lot of notes. mostly just take note of where to find something if i think its important.

I thought you worked in IT. Do tech people read a lot of papers or is it because you are in a management position.
Gold: 1.73
Jul 3 2024 06:49pm
Quote (JessiWan @ 3 Jul 2024 17:24)
I thought you worked in IT. Do tech people read a lot of papers or is it because you are in a management position.

Underwriter so i read a lot of docs, also i was management in my last role but not this one.

This post was edited by Ryvulet on Jul 3 2024 07:00pm
Gold: 1,453.85
Warn: 10%
Jul 3 2024 10:46pm
Quote (Ryvulet @ Jul 3 2024 05:49pm)
Underwriter so i read a lot of docs, also i was management in my last role but not this one.

I see. Congrats on the new job, hope you enjoy it.
Gold: 1.00
Jul 4 2024 10:01am
Quote (hakimtp @ Jun 9 2024 09:10pm)
Anyone have an ideas on how to read faster and more accurately?
I am always studying english, math, and computer science.
Just need tips on reading faster. If you have any or any resources like books, YouTube videos, links, and etc. Thanks!

i dont know your circumstances, but when it comes to university maths, texts usually inhibit an extremely high information density, so reading them quickly is not the best way to go imo
Gold: 7,062.60
Aug 20 2024 12:55am
According to A.G. Sertillanges, in his book The Intellectual Life, there are four different kinds of readings.

1. Fundamental Reading (self-help/improvement books or improvements in the virtues)
2. Accidental Reading (textbooks, academic reading, etc.)
3. Stimulating Reading (motivational books, biographies that inspire, etc.)
4. Recreative Reading (not for study or academic growth--just for relaxing)

You seem to be talking about accidental reading and how to read these kinds of books faster. The problem is that these books are usually heavy or dense and are not made for you to breeze through them. These books require "active reading," which includes taking notes, writing paraphrases, underlining, and doing things of that sort. The real question should be "How can I comprehend these books better?" rather than "How can I read them faster?"

Different types of books have different kinds of gears. For example, recreative reading can be read casually, so reading them fast wouldn't be too much of an issue.

As a doctoral student, I could say that we need to read many books. However, try to focus on understanding the books and getting the big picture of them (with a dictionary with you). The most important thing is that you don't give up. Your hard work and efforts in studying and reading many kinds of books will reward you. Try to learn as much as you can in your studies, and I strongly recommend that you don't read these books too fast.

This post was edited by DK007 on Aug 20 2024 12:56am
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll