d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > World Football - Soccer > Official Arsenal Discussion Thread
Prev19689699709719721976Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Nov 22 2014 11:27pm
Quote (ampoo @ Nov 22 2014 11:20pm)
but thats not because the lower teams got stronger

the english top teams are not as good as they used to be, thats it

Both I think
Gold: 600.69
Nov 23 2014 05:21am
Quote (zarkadon @ Nov 23 2014 12:11am)
Yeah, Arsenal was a pain to watch before Wenger. They were my least favourite english team because of that, until I saw how much they had changed (and that was thanks to Wenger).

However, I don't think that should excuse him from Arsenal's performances over the last years. He has let some players go to rival teams and has missed the chance to try to make important signings. And now the current team isn't bad at all but it seems awfully stuck.

I'm aware that you can't demand Wegner to thrash oil clubs like City and Chelsea, but the team is good enough to compete with them and at least enter a title race if the right buttons are pushed. I mean, look at teams like Liverpool, Atlético and Roma last season... when's the last time Arsenal has done anything similar? Even though they still haven't failed to qualify for the CL, it just seems like it's a matter of time. The league is becoming more and more competitive; Arsenal seems to be decaying while other teams seem to be on the rise, and the longer Arsenal takes to react to this then the harder it will be for them to get things going again.

Maybe Arsene could have revitalized the club and make a competitive team 15 years ago, but not now. That's why the club needs a change imo. A new, young and ambitious manager that can motivate these players and set new expectations.

Well, we were in the title race for a long time last season, and ofc there was the 07-08 season where we were on top until eduardo got injuried.
I agree Arsenal was decaying in the last years, but the last two seasons (including this one) we are on the rise, signings like Özil and Sanchez will boost us.
Nov 23 2014 05:22am
Quote (fender @ Nov 23 2014 01:04am)
yes it's true and i would (and have) never take(n) that away from him.
he instilled a positive and offensive attitude and philosophy in the team and his focus on raising young talent and operating financially responsibly in terms of transfers and contracts is exemplary, especially in that league.

that being said, some of his personal, strategic and also tactical decisions (especially in the last couple of years) have been questionable and i feel like he isn't really hungry enough (or at least can't convey that to his team) to make the crucial last step to finally win a big title again.
i kinda have the feeling that he's too content with what he achieves regularly (cl participation, usually past group stage, top 5 in the league, deep cup runs...) - which, don't get me wrong, is already not a small feat but a club like arsenal should be striving for more generally speaking...

I see where you're coming from, and I really agree with it.

We as fans don't want Wenger to leave on a note like this tho, last season felt like the perfect time to say goodbye after the FA cup but he stayed, I don't want to see him leave during the mid season.

And I already asked who else should we sign? There aren't many top managers around who are willing to take the challenge
Gold: 3.33
Nov 23 2014 05:33am
Quote (Mr_Mill @ Nov 23 2014 11:22am)
I see where you're coming from, and I really agree with it.

We as fans don't want Wenger to leave on a note like this tho, last season felt like the perfect time to say goodbye after the FA cup but he stayed, I don't want to see him leave during the mid season.

And I already asked who else should we sign? There aren't many top managers around who are willing to take the challenge

Klopp might, or maybe Guardiola in a few years
Nov 23 2014 05:35am
Quote (dro94 @ Nov 23 2014 12:33pm)
Klopp might, or maybe Guardiola in a few years

Dortmund and Bayern are by far superior teams than Arsenal, so I doubt it.
Gold: 2,570.91
Nov 23 2014 06:13am
Quote (Mr_Mill @ 23 Nov 2014 12:21)
Well, we were in the title race for a long time last season, and ofc there was the 07-08 season where we were on top until eduardo got injuried.
I agree Arsenal was decaying in the last years, but the last two seasons (including this one) we are on the rise, signings like Özil and Sanchez will boost us.

Quality players have been signed recently, but the team isn't improving (it's getting worse if anything). The players aren't the problem here imo, it's the fact that Wenger can't get them fired up and title hungry like he could a decaade ago.

Quote (Mr_Mill @ 23 Nov 2014 12:22)

Arséne who? -> that's what the press was asking when Wenger was appointed, because he was a nobody that had once won a Ligue 1 almost a decade before signing with Arsenal and was now managing in Japan.

Unless Arsenal wants to rush to guaranteed results, a top manager isn't necessarily the only option. There are some more obvious choices like Rudi García or Jorge Jesus (whom I'd love to see in a top club from a top league btw), and others with less international prestiege such as Nuno Espiritu Santo, Montanier, Tuchel, Favre, Roberto Martínez, Quique Sánchez-Flores, etc.... I'm sure there are many more options.
Nov 23 2014 06:15am
Quote (zarkadon @ Nov 23 2014 01:13pm)
Quality players have been signed recently, but the team isn't improving (it's getting worse if anything). The players aren't the problem here imo, it's the fact that Wenger can't get them fired up and title hungry like he could a decaade ago.

Arséne who? -> that's what the press was asking when Wenger was appointed, because he was a nobody that had once won a Ligue 1 almost a decade before signing with Arsenal and was now managing in Japan.

Unless Arsenal wants to rush to guaranteed results, a top manager isn't necessarily the only option. There are some more obvious choices like Rudi García or Jorge Jesus (whom I'd love to see in a top club from a top league btw), and others with less international prestiege such as Nuno Espiritu Santo, Montanier, Tuchel,  Favre, Roberto Martínez, Quique Sánchez-Flores, etc.... I'm sure there are many more options.

Every Arsenal fan expects a top manager if AW is getting sacked/leaves. I wouldn't mind a young trainer with high potential but I feel he would have a similair problem as Moyes had at United.
Gold: 2,570.91
Nov 23 2014 06:25am
Quote (Mr_Mill @ 23 Nov 2014 13:15)
Every Arsenal fan expects a top manager if AW is getting sacked/leaves. I wouldn't mind a young trainer with high potential but I feel he would have a similair problem as Moyes had at United.

I think the situation is different though.

Man Utd had a team full of aging and decaying players that were overperforming and have already won everything, and the fans were used to seeing silverwear every season.

Arsenal is the opposite case imo: the team is full of young players that are underperforming and have a title record to full up, and there is nowhere near as much pressure to win trophies.
Nov 23 2014 06:31am
Quote (zarkadon @ Nov 23 2014 01:25pm)
I think the situation is different though.

Man Utd had a team full of aging and decaying players that were overperforming and have already won everything, and the fans were used to seeing silverwear every season.

Arsenal is the opposite case imo: the team is full of young players that are underperforming and have a title record to full up, and there is nowhere near as much pressure to win trophies.

Very true, It's going to be an interesting transfer window during the winter. If Wenger keeps being stubborn in winter transfer windows I'm not sure what to think.
Gold: 3.33
Nov 23 2014 06:39am
Quote (Mr_Mill @ Nov 23 2014 11:35am)
Dortmund and Bayern are by far superior teams than Arsenal, so I doubt it.

I don't think Dortmund is much better than Arsenal really. Klopp likes to begin a project with a lot of potential, so Arsenal fits the bill perfectly with their youth and playing style.
Go Back To World Football - Soccer Topic List
Prev19689699709719721976Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll