d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > World Football - Soccer > Official Arsenal Discussion Thread
Prev19669679689699701976Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,383.11
Nov 22 2014 04:31pm
Quote (Mr_Mill @ Nov 22 2014 10:23pm)
Wenger took a boring small Arsenal and created a big club with amazing football, winning the league unbeaten and upgrading from Highbury to the Emirates, and all that while following the FFP rules.

Wenger is one of the most succesful coaches in the world, there is no way around that

and now he is past it, unable to make the most obvious adjustments and somehow the team stands still for some time now

sir alex is the exception, but aside from that i think there is a point when a coach is just too long with a club
wenger has reached it imo
even my favorite coach hitzfeld had this at bayern, when it didnt work anymore
Gold: 1.00
Nov 22 2014 04:32pm
Quote (Mr_Mill @ Nov 22 2014 11:23pm)
Wenger took a boring small Arsenal and created a big club with amazing football, winning the league unbeaten and upgrading from Highbury to the Emirates, and all that while following the FFP rules.

Wenger is one of the most succesful coaches in the world, there is no way around that

I respect Wenger, and i praise him for making into the CL every year with losing one of his key players to rivals + the amount of injuries he has pretty much every season, but he's done.

All the things u listed were done like 10 years ago? Impressive yes, but not consistent.
Gold: 600.69
Nov 22 2014 04:35pm
Quote (ampoo @ Nov 22 2014 11:31pm)
and now he is past it, unable to make the most obvious adjustments and somehow the team stands still for some time now

sir alex is the exception, but aside from that i think there is a point when a coach is just too long with a club
wenger has reached it imo
even my favorite coach hitzfeld had this at bayern, when it didnt work anymore

Quote (haro1 @ Nov 22 2014 11:32pm)
I respect Wenger, and i praise him for making into the CL every year with losing one of his key players to rivals + the amount of injuries he has pretty much every season, but he's done.

All the things u listed were done like 10 years ago? Impressive yes, but not consistent.

Most people don't understand the amount of pressure he was on the past 10 years, he was given NO budget and kept losing his main players to fund the stadium.
The lack of trophies was a shame, but we always kept playing football the Arsenal way and always ended up in that important CL spot.

Last season we won the FA cup and got in the CL spots again, this season we won the Community shield and are still in the race for all competitions, don't let the rankings fool you. We are still only 3 points of a top 4 spot.

Gold: 2,570.91
Nov 22 2014 04:41pm
Quote (Mr_Mill @ 22 Nov 2014 23:23)

Wenger has done an amazing job transforming and modernizing the club, but I can't agree with Wenger being one of the best around.

Arsenal also won trophies before Arsene took over (and I'm not talking about way before Wenger took over, the famous game in Anfield that gave them the league title was 25 years ago, and they won another league some time after that in the early 90s iirc). They had also gone undefeated before, although that really was indeed a long time ago.

Like I said, he has introduced a lot of positive and necessary changes to the club, but his managerial record isn't great imo. Wenger hasn't been ambitious enough during the last decade... the club doesn't seem too ambitious either, because any other top club would have sacked their manager after such a long title drought. Yes, it's not cool to sack a manager after so many years and everything he has done for them, but the club needs to move on and freshen up.

This post was edited by zarkadon on Nov 22 2014 04:41pm
Nov 22 2014 04:43pm
Quote (zarkadon @ Nov 22 2014 11:41pm)
Wenger has done aan amazing job transforming  and modernizing the club, but I can't agree with Wenger being one of the best around.

Arsenal also won trophies before Arsene took over (and I'm not talking about way before Wenger took over, the famous game in Anfield that gave them the league title was 25 years ago, and they won another league some time after that in the early 90s iirc). They had also gone undefeated before, although that really was indeed a long time ago.

Like I said, he has introduced a lot of positive and necessary changes to the club, but his managerial record isn't great imo. Wenger hasn't been ambitious enough during the last decade... the club doesn't seem too ambitious either, because any other top club would have sacked their manager after such a long title drought. Yes, it's not cool to sack a manager after so many years and everything he has done for them, but the club needs to move on and freshen up.

Well before AW was the coach our football wasn't good at all "hence the 1-0 to the arsenal song".

As for the ambition, he couldn't speak for any ambition because he had no transfer budget whatsoever, if you look at the players we used to field during the alst ten years (apart from the last two seasons) you would understand why he showed no ambition.

Gold: 4,383.11
Nov 22 2014 04:44pm
Quote (haro1 @ Nov 22 2014 10:32pm)

hey that reminds me
i got a really nice article about the arsenal injury problem
its truly ridiculous and the analysis shows that the fault must lie with the coaches

http://spielverlagerung.com/2014/11/16/wengers-problems-and-arsenals-long-term-crisis/

this covers the tactical problems as well

maybe you are interested mrmill :D
Nov 22 2014 04:48pm
Quote (ampoo @ Nov 22 2014 11:44pm)
hey that reminds me
i got a really nice article about the arsenal injury problem
its truly ridiculous and the analysis shows that the fault must lie with the coaches

http://spielverlagerung.com/2014/11/16/wengers-problems-and-arsenals-long-term-crisis/

this covers the tactical problems as well

maybe you are interested mrmill :D

Trust me I've read every single article about it :P

And I agree at parts that Wenger is stubborn and we might have to look at someone else, but who?

Jurgen Klopp? Don't see him leaving Dortmund for Arsenal.
Roberto Martinez? Doubt he is ready for the challenge
Pep Guardiola? Wont join Arsenal for Bayern
Gold: 1.00
Nov 22 2014 04:58pm
Quote (Mr_Mill @ Nov 22 2014 11:48pm)
Trust me I've read every single article about it :P

And I agree at parts that Wenger is stubborn and we might have to look at someone else, but who?

Jurgen Klopp? Don't see him leaving Dortmund for Arsenal.
Roberto Martinez? Doubt he is ready for the challenge
Pep Guardiola? Wont join Arsenal for Bayern

Well, Dave was available just a few days ago, your loss mate.
Gold: 2,570.91
Nov 22 2014 05:11pm
Quote (Mr_Mill @ 22 Nov 2014 23:43)
Well before AW was the coach our football wasn't good at all "hence the 1-0 to the arsenal song".

As for the ambition, he couldn't speak for any ambition because he had no transfer budget whatsoever, if you look at the players we used to field during the alst ten years (apart from the last two seasons) you would understand why he showed no ambition.

Yeah, Arsenal was a pain to watch before Wenger. They were my least favourite english team because of that, until I saw how much they had changed (and that was thanks to Wenger).

However, I don't think that should excuse him from Arsenal's performances over the last years. He has let some players go to rival teams and has missed the chance to try to make important signings. And now the current team isn't bad at all but it seems awfully stuck.

I'm aware that you can't demand Wegner to thrash oil clubs like City and Chelsea, but the team is good enough to compete with them and at least enter a title race if the right buttons are pushed. I mean, look at teams like Liverpool, Atlético and Roma last season... when's the last time Arsenal has done anything similar? Even though they still haven't failed to qualify for the CL, it just seems like it's a matter of time. The league is becoming more and more competitive; Arsenal seems to be decaying while other teams seem to be on the rise, and the longer Arsenal takes to react to this then the harder it will be for them to get things going again.

Maybe Arsene could have revitalized the club and make a competitive team 15 years ago, but not now. That's why the club needs a change imo. A new, young and ambitious manager that can motivate these players and set new expectations.
Gold: 7,940.00
Nov 22 2014 05:13pm
We were just unlucky to concede the first goal imo.

We had the game, but lost by being too aggressive
Go Back To World Football - Soccer Topic List
Prev19669679689699701976Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll