d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > World Football - Soccer > Manchester United > Match & General Discussion
Prev17207217227237243159Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Banned
Gold: 4,043.00
Warn: 10%
Sep 8 2013 07:18am
Quote (Mr_Mill @ Sep 7 2013 02:17pm)
people don't seem to get that Fellaini is way better in an attacking position than in a DM position
He said he prefers to play deep.
Gold: 600.69
Sep 8 2013 08:02am
Quote (Pozer @ Sep 8 2013 02:18pm)
He said he prefers to play deep.

Yeah, but he's much better in an attacking position. He will play DM for belgium anyways tho
Banned
Sep 8 2013 04:51pm
It was thought that the fiasco at Manchester United over their transfer policy might have gone unnoticed across the Atlantic, however, the dreaded message has finally arrived from the Glazers to Ed Woodward to explain the transfer fiasco which has made the club look like a bunch of amateurs, bungling just about every deal.

Ed Woodward is a Glazer man. He was appointed by them because he had the credentials to take Manchester United`s commercial deals to another level, leaving other clubs in their wake. At this task, he has been spectacularly successful and the club has benefited from some of the most lucrative sponsorship and commercial deals in the history of sport. In view of his success, it seemed only natural that he should take the next step when David Gill left, becoming United`s chief executive. He subsequently became the man in charge of amongst other thing, transfer, and made some grandiose claims about "limitless funds" before the recent transfer window opened. These comments have now come back to bite him and moreover, they have put him in the full glare of the Glazer spotlight, questioning why the club was unable to complete one deal for a marquee signing, if we had all these funds available.

One question I would like to ask Woodward is who was guiding him in his quest for signings? For example, who was it that suggested the club pursue Cesc Fabregas, when there were no outward signs that he wanted to leave Barcelona? There are a number of factors which go into a successful transfer; agreeing a fee, agreeing the players terms i.e. wages etcetera, but most of all the players wants to leave his current club and join yours. In the case of Fabregas, none of these factors were present. In fact, the player has come out and stated that even had United trebled his wages, he still would not have left Barcelona; his home town club! In those extreme circumstances, what is the point of trying to force the issue? If the player does not want to leave why pursue the matter? Woodward spent nearly the whole of the summer trying to make the deal, when everyone in football knew it would not happen.

We then move onto the deal which did eventually happen; that of Marouane Fellaini. This was a player who David Moyes had originally signed at Everton, so he knew all about his abilities. The player was open to a move and he already had a built-in buyout fee of £23.5m. If United really wanted to buy Fellaini, why didn't they move for him whilst they knew the fee and Everton would have been powerless to intervene? Instead, Woodward decided to wait until the last day of the transfer window, in what appeared like a last minute panic buy and finished up paying £4m over the original buyout fee. Everton were in control of the situation once the buyout clause had expired. This is basic transfer policy and even a novice would have been able to navigate the minefield that is transfer in this case, so why couldn`t Woodward?

I will not go into the list of other player which is already well known, whom United failed to sign, but one thing is for sure; United`s reputation has taken a battering and somebody will have to pay the price.

My own thoughts are that in this situation, it might pay United to have an experienced director of football who know the game and the players and agents. Someone who can be given a list of names and be expected to make signings from it. Woodward might be an excellent commercial executive, but he knows nothing about transfers.

I hope that something positive comes from the Glazers intervention and that they look seriously at having an executive specifically for transfers in future.
Banned
Gold: 10.00
Warn: 30%
Sep 9 2013 04:49am
wall of text
Gold: 89.48
Sep 9 2013 06:17am
Quote (Schweini @ Sep 9 2013 12:49pm)
wall of text

Wrong.

If it was, it would be like this:

It was thought that the fiasco at Manchester United over their transfer policy might have gone unnoticed across the Atlantic, however, the dreaded message has finally arrived from the Glazers to Ed Woodward to explain the transfer fiasco which has made the club look like a bunch of amateurs, bungling just about every deal. Ed Woodward is a Glazer man. He was appointed by them because he had the credentials to take Manchester United`s commercial deals to another level, leaving other clubs in their wake. At this task, he has been spectacularly successful and the club has benefited from some of the most lucrative sponsorship and commercial deals in the history of sport. In view of his success, it seemed only natural that he should take the next step when David Gill left, becoming United`s chief executive. He subsequently became the man in charge of amongst other thing, transfer, and made some grandiose claims about "limitless funds" before the recent transfer window opened. These comments have now come back to bite him and moreover, they have put him in the full glare of the Glazer spotlight, questioning why the club was unable to complete one deal for a marquee signing, if we had all these funds available. One question I would like to ask Woodward is who was guiding him in his quest for signings? For example, who was it that suggested the club pursue Cesc Fabregas, when there were no outward signs that he wanted to leave Barcelona? There are a number of factors which go into a successful transfer; agreeing a fee, agreeing the players terms i.e. wages etcetera, but most of all the players wants to leave his current club and join yours. In the case of Fabregas, none of these factors were present. In fact, the player has come out and stated that even had United trebled his wages, he still would not have left Barcelona; his home town club! In those extreme circumstances, what is the point of trying to force the issue? If the player does not want to leave why pursue the matter? Woodward spent nearly the whole of the summer trying to make the deal, when everyone in football knew it would not happen. We then move onto the deal which did eventually happen; that of Marouane Fellaini. This was a player who David Moyes had originally signed at Everton, so he knew all about his abilities. The player was open to a move and he already had a built-in buyout fee of £23.5m. If United really wanted to buy Fellaini, why didn't they move for him whilst they knew the fee and Everton would have been powerless to intervene? Instead, Woodward decided to wait until the last day of the transfer window, in what appeared like a last minute panic buy and finished up paying £4m over the original buyout fee. Everton were in control of the situation once the buyout clause had expired. This is basic transfer policy and even a novice would have been able to navigate the minefield that is transfer in this case, so why couldn`t Woodward? I will not go into the list of other player which is already well known, whom United failed to sign, but one thing is for sure; United`s reputation has taken a battering and somebody will have to pay the price. My own thoughts are that in this situation, it might pay United to have an experienced director of football who know the game and the players and agents. Someone who can be given a list of names and be expected to make signings from it. Woodward might be an excellent commercial executive, but he knows nothing about transfers. I hope that something positive comes from the Glazers intervention and that they look seriously at having an executive specifically for transfers in future.
Banned
Sep 9 2013 06:52am
Quote (Schweini @ Sep 9 2013 11:49am)
wall of text
Worth a read, son.
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Sep 9 2013 08:54am
Quote (Pozer @ 9 Sep 2013 14:52)
Worth a read, son.

Explains united's staff is a joke, agreed, worth the laugh.
Banned
Sep 9 2013 09:05am
Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence
Banned
Gold: 10.00
Warn: 30%
Sep 9 2013 12:25pm
Quote (waw @ Sep 9 2013 04:54pm)
Explains united's staff is a joke, agreed, worth the laugh.

well, then its nothing i dont know already
Banned
Sep 9 2013 02:00pm
Quote (Schweini @ Sep 9 2013 07:25pm)
well, then its nothing i dont know already
Reported.
Go Back To World Football - Soccer Topic List
Prev17207217227237243159Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll