d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official New York Jets Fan Thread
Prev13940414243125Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,507.88
Mar 7 2014 07:47pm
The Jets have opened the lines of communication with Mo Wilkerson, but the anchor of Rex Ryan’s defense may still have to wait for his big payday.

The Jets have had recent discussions with the All-Pro defensive lineman’s camp about his future, but no new long-term deal is on the horizon, according to a team source.

The Jets plan on exercising a fifth-year option on Wilkerson’s contract before the May 3 deadline in the new collective bargaining agreement, the source said. Although the organization has yet to convey concrete plans to Wilkerson, the team source said that it has been made abundantly clear that the Jets will prioritize free agency and the draft over the next two months.

Wilkerson, who hasn’t missed a game in his three-year career, and the rest of the first-round picks in the 2011 draft class signed four-year deals with a fifth-year team option as part of the new CBA.

The source left open the possibility of revisiting contract extension talks with Wilkerson in the summer but admitted that it’s unlikely a new long-term pact will be struck this offseason unless the player accepts a team-friendly deal.

Wilkerson unwittingly hurt his negotiating leverage with public remarks last month that he won’t hold out if he doesn’t get a long-term deal, the team source said. Wilkerson would have incurred hefty daily fines if he held out, but that’s a player’s only true means of leverage under the current CBA structure.

It makes little financial sense for the Jets to give the 24-year-old Wilkerson, who had a career-high 10½ sacks last season, a long-term deal this summer unless it’s below market value.

He is scheduled to earn $1.2 million in 2014. Per terms of the CBA, Wilkerson, the 30th pick in the 2011 draft, is in line for $5.25 million-$6 million in 2015 under the team option, according to spotrac.com and the National Football Post.

The Jets could slap the franchise tag on Wilkerson in 2016. (The 2014 franchise number for defensive ends is $13.116 million). So, the Jets theoretically could retain Wilkerson’s rights for the next three years for around $20 million, a steal for one of the league’s elite defensive linemen.

It might make more strategic sense anyway for Wilkerson to wait until Texans star J.J. Watt, another member of the 2011 draft class, inks a long-term deal to set the market. There have been no reports that Watt and Houston have been working toward a new contract. Watt and Wilkerson may simply have to wait until after the 2014 season to land their big deals.

The Jets could play hardball and refuse to pony up a year from now, but it’s more likely that the organization’s decision makers would reward one of the team leaders with a market-value compromise at that time.

The Jets, like the rest of the teams that choose to pick up the fifth-year option for 2011 first rounders, will almost certainly wait until the May 3 deadline before making the transaction official. Per terms of the CBA, the fifth-year option salary becomes guaranteed for injury as soon it’s exercised, according to a Pro Football Talk report.

If the Jets exercised the option today, for example, they would have to pay Wilkerson’s 2015 salary if he suffered a career-ending injury during offseason workouts next month. Therefore, the prudent and wise course of action would be to wait until the May 3 deadline.

Wilkerson isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, but the question remains when he’ll cash in. Opening the lines of communication is a good start.
Gold: 26.51
Warn: 10%
Mar 9 2014 12:56pm
Jets release Cromartie

per Twitter.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 9 2014 02:32pm
Quote (xnozx. @ Mar 9 2014 01:56pm)
[FONT='Times New Roman']Jets release Cromartie[/FONT]

per Twitter.

Yeah seen on nfl

Kinda upset
Gold: 281.62
Mar 9 2014 09:07pm
Quote (xnozx. @ Mar 9 2014 11:56am)
Jets release Cromartie

per Twitter.

damn that sucks. I mean he did kinda have an off season this past year so I guess its understandable but he still has a bunch of years left at a high level. kyle wilson and Milliner will have to step it up big time.

Mar 10 2014 11:37pm
Quote (xnozx. @ Mar 9 2014 01:56pm)
Jets release Cromartie

per Twitter.

I don't even know where to begin with this. I know it's for cap space and one off year is one off year but damn, he had a fucking amazing season the previous year when Revis got hurt - he can be a top corner in the NFL when he applies himself.

I understand the cap space was a LOT and this is probably best for the team, but it still sucks. I love some of the plays he'd made, and the games he's played, and everything. Feels like a mixed bag here.

Changed my sig in tribute...
Mar 11 2014 11:30pm
Holmes also released.

More cap space. A LOT more. Kind of expected this move, but it still hurts to see something that had so much potential just suck for like 4 years.

~~

NEW YORK — Tone Time is over for the New York Jets.

The Jets parted ways with wide receiver Santonio Holmes on Monday, cutting the talented but injury-plagued playmaker after four seasons.

MORE: Big names who could quickly become cap casualties | Cromartie released

The move, which had been expected, saves the Jets $8.25 million, which Holmes was due to make as his base salary this season. He was also scheduled to have a $10.75 million cap number, a lofty total for a one-time Super Bowl MVP who has struggled with injuries and inconsistency the last two seasons.

The Jets also released cornerback Antonio Cromartie on Sunday, clearing $17.75 million of salary cap space before the NFL's free agency period starts Tuesday. New York could also save another $8.3 million if they cut quarterback Mark Sanchez, who missed last season with a shoulder injury.

Holmes, who turned 30 last Monday, had 23 catches — the second-lowest total of his career — for 456 yards and a touchdown in 11 games last season. He missed five games midway through the season with a hamstring injury. Holmes played in just four games in 2012 and was sidelined for several months after suffering a career-threatening foot injury.

In December, Holmes said he would be willing to restructure his contract to remain a member of the Jets, adding that how much of a pay cut he'd be asked to take probably wouldn't play into his decision to want to stay.

"I appreciate Tone's contributions over the last four seasons," coach Rex Ryan said in a statement. "I've always admired his knack for making the clutch play. He's a tremendous competitor who wants the ball in his hands when the game is on the line. I wish him nothing but the best."
Santonio Holmes (AP Photo)

Holmes signed a five-year, $45 million deal before the 2011 season after a solid first year with the Jets, who acquired him from Pittsburgh for a fifth-round draft pick. He agreed to restructure his contract in March 2012, when he took a $3.5 million cut to his scheduled base salary of $11 million for last season.

Holmes was a controversial figure at times during his tenure with the Jets, butting heads with Sanchez and the team's offensive linemen during the 2011 season. In the season finale at Miami, he got into an argument with offensive tackle Wayne Hunter in the huddle and was benched for the rest of the game.

The mercurial wide receiver also had a contentious relationship with the media, keeping his answers short during most group interviews. He inadvertently made headlines last season when he called Carolina's secondary the Panthers defense's "weakest link" while trying to credit the unit — but providing bulletin board for an opponent that went out and beat the Jets 30-20.

Holmes was a first-round draft pick by the Steelers out of Ohio State in 2006 and was selected the Super Bowl MVP in his third season after he caught a 6-yard touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger with 35 seconds left to lead Pittsburgh past Arizona.

He had his best statistical performance the following season with 79 catches for 1,248 yards and five touchdowns. But Holmes was traded to the Jets the following offseason after the Steelers tired of his numerous legal troubles.

Holmes was suspended for his first four games with the Jets for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, but quickly became one of the team's primary playmakers when he returned. He played a key role in three straight wins with big catches late in games, prompting Ryan to label those types of clutch moments as "Tone Time."

He also helped lead the Jets to their second straight AFC title game appearance, in which they lost to Holmes' former team.

Holmes has 381 career catches for 5,963 yards and 36 touchdowns in eight NFL seasons.
Gold: 1,120.01
Mar 12 2014 06:35pm
Fuck Revis.

Lets get Decker signed ASAP, Jets also interested in James Jones and MJD.
Gold: 0.13
Mar 12 2014 06:37pm
Quote (Greet @ 12 Mar 2014 17:35)
Fuck Revis.

I think it's Jacoby, not James.
Gold: 1,120.01
Mar 12 2014 06:38pm
Quote (Roulette @ Mar 12 2014 08:37pm)
I think it's Jacoby, not James.

Packers WR, I'm pretty sure it's James.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 12 2014 06:39pm
Quote (Greet @ Mar 12 2014 07:35pm)
Fuck Revis.

I'm so pissed.. fucking izdick needs to take his thumb out of his ass
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev13940414243125Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll