d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official Football & Rugby General Chat 2.0 > Music, Food, Chitty Chat
Prev1357835793580358135825001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.80
Jan 11 2018 12:24pm
you guys ever been constipated?
Gold: 3,570.21
Jan 11 2018 12:28pm
Quote (Sjax @ Jan 11 2018 12:24pm)

Sometimes during long periods of travel. That's about it
Gold: 264.04
Jan 11 2018 12:28pm
I've struggled with addiction for the better part of 7 years. Pot and booze. I'm on my longest sobriety streak currently at 52 days. What has worked for me is picking up other habits, such as going to the gym, church, painting, reading, and going to coffee shops during the day instead of bars at night. I downloaded an app that counts my days sober which works as motivation. I also talk about it a lot with people, and the more you talk about it, the easier it gets. I always thought that since I just smoked and drank, it wasn't a problem. It took me up until 52 days ago to realize it was a problem. I guess I was comparing myself to everybody else around me; I've had friends who have overdosed, gotten DUI's, double kidney failures and pancreatitis and diabetes, lost jobs, dropped out of school, been homeless- and comparatively, I didn't have a problem. But when I took a step back and looked at myself, I did have a problem. The real question becomes determining whether or not you think you have a problem, and then deciding if the problem is addiction. If it is addiction, there is no such thing as moderation. There are even priests who substitute the wine because they can't have just a taste. If you decide you can take on moderation, you should probably adapt some type of strategy to help promote it. For example, with every alcoholic drink, you need to drink a glass of water before you have your next one. Or leave your credit card at home and only bring enough cash for however many drinks you want to have if you go out. At home, don't keep alcohol, only what you want to drink that night. Ultimately, I've determined that drinking is a waste of time and nothing good comes out of it, both socially, mentally, and physically. It destroys your body, can strain relationships, and anything it strengthens socially (ie; taking the edge off, liquid courage, feeling good) can be overcome and overpowered with sobriety. It's also important to note that sobriety is an everyday battle. You battle resistance every single day, one day at a time. Anyways, I could talk about this shit all day. Hopefully this helped somebody.
Gold: 0.01
Warn: 30%
Jan 11 2018 12:30pm
Quote (Cheesehead @ Jan 11 2018 01:15pm)
Impressive. I think I'm mostly worried about other habits flaring up to compensate. So much of my life involves drinking but like you said, I need to take better care of myself and cutting alcohol certainly helps with that.

My real question is... after a period of sobriety... WHAT THE FUCK IS MODERATION?

I hear ya, that was my first worry when I stopped drinking but really nothing has changed. My anger has pretty much gone down to zero though between this and double dose of Zoloft daily so can't complain there.

I couldn't imagine stopping then going back to it, rip liver. I don't plan on drinking again (Obviously no guarantee, but I'll manage how I can), just thinking of all the money I'll save :drool:

Quote (Sjax @ Jan 11 2018 01:24pm)

Used to all the time, now I go every time daily at least once like clockwork. In and out, I don't believe in wasting work time in the bathroom.

inb4john :ph34r:
Gold: 16.80
Jan 11 2018 12:33pm
Quote (Cheesehead @ Jan 11 2018 12:15pm)
Impressive. I think I'm mostly worried about other habits flaring up to compensate. So much of my life involves drinking but like you said, I need to take better care of myself and cutting alcohol certainly helps with that.

My real question is... after a period of sobriety... WHAT THE FUCK IS MODERATION?

What's the point in moderation? Who wants to have just a couple drinks?
Gold: 0.80
Jan 11 2018 12:34pm
Quote (Cheesehead @ Jan 11 2018 11:28am)
Sometimes during long periods of travel. That's about it

Quote (BastardOfWinterfell @ Jan 11 2018 11:30am)
I hear ya, that was my first worry when I stopped drinking but really nothing has changed. My anger has pretty much gone down to zero though between this and double dose of Zoloft daily so can't complain there.

I couldn't imagine stopping then going back to it, rip liver. I don't plan on drinking again (Obviously no guarantee, but I'll manage how I can), just thinking of all the money I'll save :drool:

Used to all the time, now I go every time daily at least once like clockwork. In and out, I don't believe in wasting work time in the bathroom.

damnnnn i was once when i was younger, remember sitting on the toilet and using all my force to get something come out lmao.. it was a weird feeling like i couldn't feel my stomach

prunes/ prune juice took ccare of it ez though
Gold: 65,751.00
Jan 11 2018 12:35pm
Quote (Zigity @ Jan 11 2018 01:28pm)
I've struggled with addiction for the better part of 7 years. Pot and booze. I'm on my longest sobriety streak currently at 52 days. What has worked for me is picking up other habits, such as going to the gym, church, painting, reading, and going to coffee shops during the day instead of bars at night. I downloaded an app that counts my days sober which works as motivation. I also talk about it a lot with people, and the more you talk about it, the easier it gets. I always thought that since I just smoked and drank, it wasn't a problem. It took me up until 52 days ago to realize it was a problem. I guess I was comparing myself to everybody else around me; I've had friends who have overdosed, gotten DUI's, double kidney failures and pancreatitis and diabetes, lost jobs, dropped out of school, been homeless- and comparatively, I didn't have a problem. But when I took a step back and looked at myself, I did have a problem. The real question becomes determining whether or not you think you have a problem, and then deciding if the problem is addiction. If it is addiction, there is no such thing as moderation. There are even priests who substitute the wine because they can't have just a taste. If you decide you can take on moderation, you should probably adapt some type of strategy to help promote it. For example, with every alcoholic drink, you need to drink a glass of water before you have your next one. Or leave your credit card at home and only bring enough cash for however many drinks you want to have if you go out. At home, don't keep alcohol, only what you want to drink that night. Ultimately, I've determined that drinking is a waste of time and nothing good comes out of it, both socially, mentally, and physically. It destroys your body, can strain relationships, and anything it strengthens socially (ie; taking the edge off, liquid courage, feeling good) can be overcome and overpowered with sobriety. It's also important to note that sobriety is an everyday battle. You battle resistance every single day, one day at a time. Anyways, I could talk about this shit all day. Hopefully this helped somebody.

Even though I don't really drink more than a few times a year, I want to acknowledge that I read your story and appreciate it.
Gold: 0.01
Warn: 30%
Jan 11 2018 12:35pm
Quote (Sjax @ Jan 11 2018 01:34pm)
damnnnn i was once when i was younger, remember sitting on the toilet and using all my force to get something come out lmao.. it was a weird feeling like i couldn't feel my stomach

prunes/ prune juice took ccare of it ez though

Used to go like a week+ without shitting :rofl: That shit ripped me open when I did go though.

Quote (Zigity @ Jan 11 2018 01:28pm)

Congrats man! Keep it up. Plan on doing it myself hopefully. Refuse to give up smoking though.

This post was edited by BastardOfWinterfell on Jan 11 2018 12:36pm
Gold: 3,570.21
Jan 11 2018 12:40pm
Quote (Fezbang @ Jan 11 2018 12:33pm)
What's the point in moderation? Who wants to have just a couple drinks?

Eh. After a crap day at the office, it's nice to chill and have a couple beers and try my best to mount my girlfriend.

Quote (BastardOfWinterfell @ Jan 11 2018 12:30pm)

Depends on what and how much you drank. I find myself pacing better and better as I get older. I'll still drink 6 days a week, but only actually getting a good buzz maybe 1 of those days. Once our holiday stash is gone, I'm taking a break. Saving money would be nice but so is a cold beer after work, putting my feet up and watching Shameless ;)

Quote (BastardOfWinterfell @ Jan 11 2018 12:35pm)
Used to go like a week+ without shitting :rofl: That shit ripped me open when I did go though.

Gold: 1.00
Jan 11 2018 12:43pm
I feel guilty reading all this and never having had any kind of addiction issue
Like I'm undercover at an AA meeting
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev1357835793580358135825001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll