d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official New York Jets Fan Thread
Prev12122232425125Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,507.88
Aug 21 2013 12:31pm
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. – Quarterback competitions are wrapping up this week throughout the NFL, but the New York Jets continued Tuesday to take an intentional delay-of-name.

Rex Ryan won't announce his Week 1 starter until Sunday at the earliest. He wouldn't reveal his plans for Saturday night against the New York Giants, although a league source confirmed what has been apparent for several days: Rookie Geno Smith will start the game if his sore ankle holds up through practice.

The Jets are taking an unconventional approach, waiting until after the third preseason game. On Tuesday, the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles announced their starters. On Monday, the Jacksonville Jaguars named theirs.

SANCHEZ vs. SMITH: WHO'S WINNING?

Tuesday's advantage: Smith
Geno Smith's day: Completed 11 of 12 in team drills, including a long TD. Only hiccup was an INT in 7-on-7s.
Mark Sanchez's day: Went 4-for-7 with the backups, but overthrew a wide-open receiver for a would-be TD.
Quote: "He looked good. I still don't think his ankle is 100 percent, but he's certainly getting close to that." -- Rex Ryan on Smith

"I don't think it sets us back," Ryan said. "We'll let the other teams choose to name their starters whenever. For us, we're not comfortable making that decision right now. We want to have a thorough evaluation of our quarterbacks before we make that decision."

Ryan acknowledged it isn't "normal protocol" to take so long, but their master plan changed because Smith missed last week's game with a sprained ankle. Smith has played only 14 snaps in the preseason (Sanchez is up to 75), and the organization wants to take a good look at a healthy Smith before rendering a verdict.

Despite two costly interceptions, Sanchez is seen as the frontrunner. He's had some positive moments, having led the team to 17 points in three quarters of action with the first-team offense. Obviously, Smith still has a puncher's chance or else they wouldn't be willing to give him prime reps in the all-important third preseason game.

Smith took the majority of the first-team reps for the second straight day in practice, completing 11 of 12 passes in team drills. He was intercepted in 7-on-7, but he was dramatically better than last Wednesday, when Ryan blasted him for a "brutal" performance.

"He looked good," Ryan of Smith's Tuesday outing. "I still don't think he's 100 percent, but he's certainly getting closer to that. I thought he had his moments where he threw the ball well."

Tuesday's practice was witnessed by more than 20 Jets alumni, former players from the 1960s, 70s and 80s that were invited guests. Of the dozen players interviewed by ESPNNewYork.com, nine said they preferred Sanchez as the opening-day starter. Three were undecided, saying they need to see more of Smith before making up their minds.

"I'm not a big Mark Sanchez fan, but I'm a realist," said Bobby Jackson, a cornerback in the 1980s. "He gives them the best chance to win."

Former tight end Richard Caster, one of Joe Namath's favorite targets in the 1970s, also said he'd start Sanchez. But he's willing to reconsider.

"Unless (Smith) is super-duper, out of this world against the Giants, I'd go with the proven commodity," Caster said. Jeff Richardson, an offensive lineman on the Super Bowl III team, cast his vote for Sanchez. But he added: "I could switch. I'm not married to Sanchez by any means. He's given me some disappointing times."

Gold: 188.84
Aug 22 2013 04:01pm
So is Geno Smith officially the starter right now or just a coincidence he's starting the most important pre-season game?

Aug 25 2013 12:22am
Quote (Madmartigan @ Aug 22 2013 06:01pm)
So is Geno Smith officially the starter right now or just a coincidence he's starting the most important pre-season game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2DmrAzWmEg

Basically, they had only seen him for like ~14 snaps because of his ankle injury. My understanding is that they just wanted to see more of him with the starters before making a decision.

^ LOL

This post was edited by Falcon_A on Aug 25 2013 12:23am
Sep 1 2013 05:20pm
Jets trim the roster to 53... Here's a full list of the Jets’ cuts:

QB Greg McElroy (with injury)
RB Mossis Madu
WR Michael Campbell
WR Mohamed Massaquoi
WR Ben Obomanu
WR Zach Rogers
TE Chris Pantale
C Erik Cook
OT J.B. Shugarts
OT Jason Smith
NT Junior Aumavae
DE Tevita Finau
DT Antonio Garay
DT Lanier Coleman
OLB Troy Davis
OLB Jacquies Smith
MLB JoJo Dickson
CB Mike Edwards
CB Royce Adams
S Rontez Miles
K Dan Carpenter

Gold: 180.01
Sep 1 2013 05:22pm
Quote (Falcon_A @ Aug 26 2013 03:12am)

Ouch.

Rex needs some Aloe and E.
Sep 12 2013 11:15pm
So, I thought the Tampa game would be about as inept as the Jets offense would be.

Hooooooooooooly shit, I was wrong (VERY wrong).

Yes it's raining, but seriously, 4 turnovers and yet you only lose by 3 points. What. Bottom line is any QB except Geno and Sanchez (maybe not even Sanchez would've done this?), and this game is a W for the Jets. I wish we had Alex Smith or something. Even Matt Flynn would've probably made something happen.

Defense played great (I want to say incredible, but Brady and his receivers were just on different pages the whole night.) I can't ask for anything more, except maybe turning one of the rare bad throws into a turnover, or turning some of the much-more-frequent "disconnects" between Brady and his "young receivers" into turnovers. But that's not really their fault.

Special teams were absolutely fucking stupid. 3 punts not even covered? If you add in the yardage from possible runbacks (or just not letting the ball fucking bounce/roll another 10-15 yards back), it may have ended up helped win the field position battle (which, in a low scoring game like this, a wet game like this, it may have given the Jets a field goal attempt, so...Could've helped be the "difference maker" that the terrible TNF announcers wouldn't shut up about). Also, we need a punter who isn't shit.

Edelman. Holy shit. Brady can't get the ball to anyone except him, apparently. And his runbacks / punt returns. Good stuff. Patriots have to be happy with this guy.

Also had a fumble and TD called back, but it isn't a huge deal. Huge PI call totally missed on the "Holmes shoved on the ground before the ball gets to him" play (2nd to last play of the final Jets "drive" if we have to call it that).

Geno has terrible pocket awareness. Gets sacked like 4 times and all of them were avoidable if he tossed the ball away or made a decision quicker. Again, he's way better than I expected, but some of those mistakes were just stupid.

Like I said about the Bills game: Now is the time to win against Brady/Belichick - before he has chemistry with his receivers, when the weather is in your favor, etc. This kind of opportunity won't come again, and as usual, the Jets invent a way to lose and squander it.

Instead of throwing an INT, and then getting the ball back with no time, and throwing ANOTHER INT, I would've probably just RUN RUN RUN THE BALL, RUN IT DOWN THEIR THROATS, or something like that. Seriously. It's wet. No one can catch anything. This is the equalizer. Your run offense matches up better against the Pats defense than the Pats run game matches up with your defense. Just run the ball. Keep Brady off the field...not like he's getting much done anyway, but that's time YOU aren't getting closer, at least close enough for a field goal to tie the game.

If it was up to me, I'd say when the Jets get the ball back with ~5 minutes to go, just run the ball, chew the clock, get slow first downs that take time, try and get up and get a TD (or at least a tying FG) while giving the Patriots almost no time back.

Anyway. A combination of various random events (weather especially) lead to the Jets defense either playing great, or having great great statistical looks tonight. I am very proud of that part of the ball. The rest kinda sucked. Offense had flashes of good things, but...Mostly not.

I'm glad I watched the game, but it was a very tough watch. There's more I want to say but that's all I can think of for now.

Oh, Clyde Gates kicks ass, that is all. Ivory is turning out to be a good thing like I thought. Powell did work. I wish they gave him the ball more than just another incomplete pass.

Geno needs to stop missing wide open receivers, stop giving games away (Jets offense did everything in their power to lose the game), stop throwing INTs, stop taking stupid sacks, get some chemistry with his receivers, etc. It's only game 2 and he'll just get better from here ( I hope? That's what we said about Sanchize but...e still has some of the same problems, the last time we saw him play)

Pointless stupid ejections.
Sep 12 2013 11:17pm
I FORGOT TO ADD

Playcalling: ABSOLUTELY FUCKING TERRIBLE.
Gold: 0.00
Sep 12 2013 11:19pm
Don't agree with most of your things. Iirc 2 of the punts took jet bounces. The ejections were our lineman sticking up for each other. We haven't had that ever since I've been watching them and I like seeing a tough oline

Edit but yes. Play calling was a joke. In fg range to tie and we throw? Stupid. Chris ivory did work and was not in enough

This post was edited by revis on Sep 12 2013 11:19pm
Gold: 1,255.00
Sep 12 2013 11:20pm
Quote (revis @ Sep 12 2013 10:19pm)
Don't agree with most of your things. Iirc 2 of the punts took jet bounces. The ejections were our lineman sticking up for each other. We haven't had that ever since I've been watching them and I like seeing a tough oline

Edit but yes. Play calling was a joke. In fg range to tie and we throw? Stupid. Chris ivory did work and was not in enough

6666 posts
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev12122232425125Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll