d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official New York Jets Fan Thread
Prev11920212223125Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 188.84
Aug 1 2013 12:14pm
Gold: 0.00
Aug 1 2013 02:21pm
go sanchez
Gold: 0.00
Aug 1 2013 04:57pm
dee milliner back at camp, no apparent shoulder pain
Gold: 188.84
Aug 4 2013 09:10am
Gold: 1,120.01
Aug 5 2013 08:17pm
Quote (xnozx. @ Aug 5 2013 09:49pm)

Let's talk some football. What are your overall thoughts on the Jets? Things you'd like to see them do be it a direction you want them to go in the future... coaching changes, personnel changes.

Did you like the draft?

Well I think they are being underrated, which is good for them. People making predictions of 3-13 is just ridiculous. They're defense is good enough for them to win at least 5 games. I have them anywhere from 6-9 wins, depending on QB play. Ideally, a 7-9 or 8-8 season would be great for them this year.

Unfortunately for coaches, once you're a head coach you stay a head coach. I would LOVE to have Rex Ryan in this organization as a DC, but it won't happen. He will stay at head coach and I am happy about that. Unless the Jets totally flop (3-13/4-12 season), Rex will be the coach next year.

Player wise, it's weird. The Jets are in a strange position. They got A LOT younger which is great, and they have players with potential. But they simply are in no position to win now.

Defensively: They have potential to be one of the best DLines in the league this year. (Even better than the Giants :P ), Muhammad Wilkerson was far and away the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league last year (Behind Watt ofc), and they now added Sheldon Richardson, who has been very impressing in camp, and they have Ellis who is a fucking monster (6'4' 346). They are moving Coples to OLB, and he's transitioning well so far. That's another player to watch out for, he led the Jets in sacks last year but played short amount of minutes. Has potential to be a great pass rusher this year. Pace is the other OLB, and he's solid. Not too flashy, but you know what you're getting with him. David Harris has been a HUGE disappointment last season, so hopefully he can step up to his pro-bowl level again. Also Demario Davis is going to play the Will this year, and he's a speedy LB. Something we have lacked. This has potential to be the best Jets front-7 under Rex Ryan.

Defensive backs are going to be interesting, right now one of the main battles in camp is between our safeties. Antonio Allen, Josh Bush and Jaiquawn Jarret are all fighting for the starting spot next to Dawan Landry. Seems like Antonio Allen is going to win, he's been pretty impressive but nothing too special. This is something the Jets will address next off-season. Cornerback is weird, it's going to be weird not seeing #24 line-up against the opposing teams best receiver. But we have Cromartie, who surprisingly put up top10 CB statistics replacing Revis last season. Kyle Wilson is going to be the nickleback, he's solid at that. Dee Milliner is the real question mark here, I know you followed the draft, so you know that Milliner was easily the best CB prospect out of the draft, but he has injury issues. He's the #2 CB on our team right now, and he will start the season there if healthy. I hope he can translate well into the NFL, which I think he will because he came from an Alabama defense.

Now offensively, the Jets offense will most likely be LOL-worthy this season. Geno has been majorly impressive in camp, but he won't start and rightfully so he shouldn't. Receiving core is actually one of the better ones for the Jets. Holmes/Hill/Edwards/Kerley. But Sanchez will be the starting QB (Don't know how long), and he won't be good. Simple as that. The Jets running game may be improve though, people are saying that Bilal Powell is a STUD, and Chris Ivory if he can stay healthy (BIG IF), he will be good. Also they have McKnight, one of the best special team returners in the league. They still have Mangold/Brick, so they will have a decent OL. Brick is having his best camp ever as a Jet. (What Rex said at least.)

I love the draft obviously, all 3 of our first picks are looking to have great upside.

All in all, we may not be good this year. But me being a huge fan of watching younger players develop and see them grow as players, this is one of the most exciting season for me as a Jets fan yet.
Gold: 26.51
Warn: 10%
Aug 5 2013 08:30pm
Quote (RADickey @ Aug 5 2013 10:17pm)
Well I think they are being underrated, which is good for them. People making predictions of 3-13 is just ridiculous. They're defense is good enough for them to win at least 5 games. I have them anywhere from 6-9 wins, depending on QB play. Ideally, a 7-9 or 8-8 season would be great for them this year.

Unfortunately for coaches, once you're a head coach you stay a head coach. I would LOVE to have Rex Ryan in this organization as a DC, but it won't happen. He will stay at head coach and I am happy about that. Unless the Jets totally flop (3-13/4-12 season), Rex will be the coach next year.

Player wise, it's weird. The Jets are in a strange position. They got A LOT younger which is great, and they have players with potential. But they simply are in no position to win now.

Defensively: They have potential to be one of the best DLines in the league this year. (Even better than the Giants  :P ), Muhammad Wilkerson was far and away the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league last year (Behind Watt ofc), and they now added Sheldon Richardson, who has been very impressing in camp, and they have Ellis who is a fucking monster (6'4' 346). They are moving Coples to OLB, and he's transitioning well so far. That's another player to watch out for, he led the Jets in sacks last year but played short amount of minutes. Has potential to be a great pass rusher this year. Pace is the other OLB, and he's solid. Not too flashy, but you know what you're getting with him. David Harris has been a HUGE disappointment last season, so hopefully he can step up to his pro-bowl level again. Also Demario Davis is going to play the Will this year, and he's a speedy LB. Something we have lacked. This has potential to be the best Jets front-7 under Rex Ryan.

Defensive backs are going to be interesting, right now one of the main battles in camp is between our safeties. Antonio Allen, Josh Bush and Jaiquawn Jarret are all fighting for the starting spot next to Dawan Landry. Seems like Antonio Allen is going to win, he's been pretty impressive but nothing too special. This is something the Jets will address next off-season. Cornerback is weird, it's going to be weird not seeing #24 line-up against the opposing teams best receiver. But we have Cromartie, who surprisingly put up top10 CB statistics replacing Revis last season. Kyle Wilson is going to be the nickleback, he's solid at that. Dee Milliner is the real question mark here, I know you followed the draft, so you know that Milliner was easily the best CB prospect out of the draft, but he has injury issues. He's the #2 CB on our team right now, and he will start the season there if healthy. I hope he can translate well into the NFL, which I think he will because he came from an Alabama defense.

Now offensively, the Jets offense will most likely be LOL-worthy this season. Geno has been majorly impressive in camp, but he won't start and rightfully so he shouldn't. Receiving core is actually one of the better ones for the Jets. Holmes/Hill/Edwards/Kerley. But Sanchez will be the starting QB (Don't know how long), and he won't be good. Simple as that. The Jets running game may be improve though, people are saying that Bilal Powell is a STUD, and Chris Ivory if he can stay healthy (BIG IF), he will be good. Also they have McKnight, one of the best special team returners in the league. They still have Mangold/Brick, so they will have a decent OL. Brick is having his best camp ever as a Jet. (What Rex said at least.)

I love the draft obviously, all 3 of our first picks are looking to have great upside.

All in all, we may not be good this year. But me being a huge fan of watching younger players develop and see them grow as players, this is one of the most exciting season for me as a Jets fan yet.

Going out with wifey right now, will respond later, thanks for the insight. Lots of good discussion.

Hill needs to grow up real fast if the Jets want to do anything on offense.

I'll be back
Gold: 26.51
Warn: 10%
Aug 5 2013 11:34pm
Quote (RADickey @ Aug 5 2013 10:17pm)

Defensively: They have potential to be one of the best DLines in the league this year. (Even better than the Giants  :P ), Muhammad Wilkerson was far and away the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league last year (Behind Watt ofc), and they now added Sheldon Richardson, who has been very impressing in camp, and they have Ellis who is a fucking monster (6'4' 346). They are moving Coples to OLB, and he's transitioning well so far. That's another player to watch out for, he led the Jets in sacks last year but played short amount of minutes. Has potential to be a great pass rusher this year. Pace is the other OLB, and he's solid. Not too flashy, but you know what you're getting with him. David Harris has been a HUGE disappointment last season, so hopefully he can step up to his pro-bowl level again. Also Demario Davis is going to play the Will this year, and he's a speedy LB. Something we have lacked. This has potential to be the best Jets front-7 under Rex Ryan.

I don't see how they could possibly win ay more than 7, MAYBE 8 games, UNLESS they have a sick run game.

Your defense should be one of the best as always, especially with Rex Ryan scheming the D. I would LOVE to see what Rex could do with our D-Line.... past and present.

How sure are you they're staying with Rex as HC? He should just take a full time DC role like LeBeau. He's a GREAT defensive mind but he's too much of an "in your face fool!" "look at us" type of persona to lead an entire team. Maybe he learned a bit and will tone is down this season, who knows.

As far as safeties, I will always forever remember Bradshaw destroying Pool on his way to the end zone that game lol. Safety isn't a strong point for you guys but with all the other positions of strength it doesn't need to be. CB is definitely going to be interesting but if Milliner can stay healthy they should be fine. I don't think Cromartie can perform like he did last season... I don't know maybe he can but I highly doubt it. He still can't tackle lol.

Offense is what it is... If you guys can establish a good run game it can carry you far in the AFC, so 8+ wins could be attainable.

Hill is going to be good.
BE was a good pick up, still has some ball left in him.
Holmes sucks... I never liked him, always thought he was so overrated and he's a loud mouth who thinks he's Calvin Johnson.
Kerley looked like there was something there with him.

So while the WR corps might not seem glamorous, it might end up being a pleasant surprise if Hill can emerge as a big threat.

Lots of if's but it's a step in the right direction.

But as long as the Jets have Woody Johnson.... he's like Jerry Jones, sticks his nose into affairs that shouldn't concern him. Let your GM do his job. Tannebaum was terrible but John Idzik can and probably will make a difference, for the better.
Aug 6 2013 12:29pm
Rex wont take a smaller role, and I don't expect him too. He's an average head coach, but an elite defensive coordinator. Lets not forget he's lead the Jets to top 8 defenses every year.
Aug 6 2013 12:34pm
New York Jets ‏@nyjets 2m
Rex at news conf: Mark Sanchez will start @ DET on Friday in preseason opener. Geno Smith will follow. Rex isn't sure of the playtime split.
Aug 6 2013 12:37pm
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 14m
Rex Ryan suggests Jets offensive starters will be on field longer than a typical first preseason game so Sanchez and Geno get starter reps
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev11920212223125Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll