d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Official Green Bay Packers Fan Thread
Prev1126812691270127112721463Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,570.21
Oct 7 2019 03:17pm
Quote (Lakeshow906 @ Oct 7 2019 03:32pm)
I never used the term "all in". I said "a lot" implying that they have invested enough right now that they should invest what it takes at this point for a shot at the Superbowl by spending capital on a WR because the WR's have looked awful besides Adams. Rodgers is going to be 36 soon and hasn't been the same QB he was the last couple years and could use more help.

Contracts since last year:

Rodgers: 4yr/134m = 33.5m
Z. Smith 4yr/66m = 16.5m
P. Smith 4yr/52m = 13m
Amos 4yr/36m = 9m
Turner 4yr/28m = 7m
Lowry 3yr/20.3m = 6.7m

Total = 85.7m

Prior Contracts:

Rodgers = 22m (5/110)
Matthews = 13m (5/65m)
Perry = 12m (5/60m)
Daniels = 10.5m (4/42m)
Cobb = 10m (4/40m)

Total = 67.5m

They definitely didn't create more salary cap space and are basically trying to push it off until later based on the structure on a few of the contracts they signed. I know both Smith's contracts are back loaded for cap hit purposes. If anything they have created less cap flexibility down the road.

Which 2 big contracts are you referring to coming up? I assumed you are talking about Clark and Martinez. I'm not sure though because they have multiple decisions coming up at the end of the year. Graham and Taylor(unless Bulaga is let go) will be cut or restructured. I'd restructure Graham with an incentive base contract if possible. Clark, Martinez, and Baktiari should all be in conversations for extensions. If Jones stays healthy he should be on the extensions list as well. Bulaga is going to be a tougher decision because he is a good RT when healthy and is a big piece to keeping Rodgers healthy but he isn't always healthy. Turner could slide over to tackle and they keep Taylor if they let Bulaga walk. It also may not be a bad idea to try and get ahead on an Alexander deal if they can. He had a rough time with Cooper yesterday but he looks like the best corner they have had in awhile.

Bold point 1: You can help a QB in other ways than just getting him people to throw to. Bolstering the offensive line, adjusting the playcalling to keep the pressure off, making the defense a priority to make the offenses job easier (field position, more possessions, protecting a lead). Pretty sure they've done all that. Injuries happen and while I'd love to see another target for AR12, I think LaFleurs run-first style is going to be the real focal point going forward.

Bold point 2: they definitely created more space. How else would they have been able to sign so many free agents in the off-season? Of course they have less cap space now than after they released the vets. C'mon now.

Bold point 3: Clark and Martinez are the priorities and Graham can walk tbh. He's not really shown anything other than being a decent red zone target and even then it's obvious that the play is designed for him. Alexander is still a ways away man haha.

I appreciate you crunching the numbers, though.
Gold: 2,387,847.92
Oct 7 2019 03:47pm
Quote (Cheesehead @ Oct 7 2019 05:17pm)
Bold point 1: You can help a QB in other ways than just getting him people to throw to. Bolstering the offensive line, adjusting the playcalling to keep the pressure off, making the defense a priority to make the offenses job easier (field position, more possessions, protecting a lead). Pretty sure they've done all that. Injuries happen and while I'd love to see another target for AR12, I think LaFleurs run-first style is going to be the real focal point going forward.

Bold point 2: they definitely created more space. How else would they have been able to sign so many free agents in the off-season? Of course they have less cap space now than after they released the vets. C'mon now.

Bold point 3: Clark and Martinez are the priorities and Graham can walk tbh. He's not really shown anything other than being a decent red zone target and even then it's obvious that the play is designed for him. Alexander is still a ways away man haha.

I appreciate you crunching the numbers, though.

Point 1: My point exactly they have a decent line, defense is improved, but Jones can't carry the ball 20 times a game, he won't last because he will get hurt. None of the other backs are anything special so I don't see the run game carrying the offense. Do you think the receivers behind Adams are good enough? Because how they looked yesterday without Adams was very poor and the stats back that up.

Point 2: They already had space there, that's why fans have always complained when Thompson wasn't spending as the Packers GM. I showed you the numbers they didn't create space, the space was already there and not being used and just being rolled over because you can do that in the NFL. The Packers have been rolling over cap money for years they just finally spent a portion of it. No space was created it was already there.

Point 3: Alexander struggled against Cooper but he is approaching a top 10 corner in the league if he isn't there right now. You think Alexander is a ways from a being a good player or a ways from a contract? I know he is a few years away from FA, but paying a guy early isn't a bad idea if he you can get him cheaper. If he continues to improve he may price his way out of Green Bay when the time comes, that's why I think he needs to be considered sooner rather than later.
Oct 7 2019 04:55pm
Quote (Lakeshow906 @ Oct 7 2019 04:47pm)
Point 1: My point exactly they have a decent line, defense is improved, but Jones can't carry the ball 20 times a game, he won't last because he will get hurt. None of the other backs are anything special so I don't see the run game carrying the offense. Do you think the receivers behind Adams are good enough? Because how they looked yesterday without Adams was very poor and the stats back that up.

Point 2: They already had space there, that's why fans have always complained when Thompson wasn't spending as the Packers GM. I showed you the numbers they didn't create space, the space was already there and not being used and just being rolled over because you can do that in the NFL. The Packers have been rolling over cap money for years they just finally spent a portion of it. No space was created it was already there.

Point 3: Alexander struggled against Cooper but he is approaching a top 10 corner in the league if he isn't there right now. You think Alexander is a ways from a being a good player or a ways from a contract? I know he is a few years away from FA, but paying a guy early isn't a bad idea if he you can get him cheaper. If he continues to improve he may price his way out of Green Bay when the time comes, that's why I think he needs to be considered sooner rather than later.

I guess you don't listen to LeFleur much, know his background or see what gameplans he's committing to. It's been clear as day that the run game and clock control is Paramount. It doesn't necessarily have to be 20 touches to Jones. And did you see what he did in the off-season? He wants to be the player he was Sunday. He's added to his game quote a bit and his durability is just as much a part of that as anything. If you hadn't noticed already, Aaron is not the focal point of the team anymore and that's fine. Keep him upright and control the clock. That's the LaFleur method and aside from the Philly game, it's worked pretty well.

I'm not going to argue with you about cap management because it's a moot point and it doesn't matter. The front office did what it had to do to put us in a position to win and that's all that matters. We're blessed to have a fairly competent team up there.

Rarely does GB commit to a player that's still in their rookie deal. Regardless of performance, it's not really something anyone is worried about. Cap goes up each year and contracts are back loaded and filled with incentives to help with cap management.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 7 2019 05:15pm
Quote (Lakeshow906 @ Oct 7 2019 11:47pm)

Quote (Cheesehead @ Oct 8 2019 12:55am)
I guess you don't listen to LeFleur much, know his background or see what gameplans he's committing to. It's been clear as day that the run game and clock control is Paramount. It doesn't necessarily have to be 20 touches to Jones. And did you see what he did in the off-season? He wants to be the player he was Sunday. He's added to his game quote a bit and his durability is just as much a part of that as anything. If you hadn't noticed already, Aaron is not the focal point of the team anymore and that's fine. Keep him upright and control the clock. That's the LaFleur method and aside from the Philly game, it's worked pretty well.

I'm not going to argue with you about cap management because it's a moot point and it doesn't matter. The front office did what it had to do to put us in a position to win and that's all that matters. We're blessed to have a fairly competent team up there.

Rarely does GB commit to a player that's still in their rookie deal. Regardless of performance, it's not really something anyone is worried about. Cap goes up each year and contracts are back loaded and filled with incentives to help with cap management.

Tldr
Gold: 2,387,847.92
Oct 7 2019 05:42pm
What does LaFleur have to do with how many carries Aaron Jones can handle? I never said I was against running the ball, in fact I'm all for running the ball as long as it is productive, but outside of Jones who is going to worth handing the ball too?

Adding another quality wide receiver only helps the run game. If the wide receivers can't win 1 on 1 routes then your run game is going to feel that because you are going to get a safety in the box a lot more often.

I was just showing you that they didn't create any cap space they just finally spent it, I wasn't arguing.

I agree I think it is too early to have talks with Alexander. I'm probably a little ahead on that but that's probably because I see him eventually becoming one of the better corners in the game eventually.
Gold: 10,050.00
Oct 9 2019 08:08am
That has to have been one of the toughest if not the toughest opening schedule in the league. Aside from the Broncos we had two playoff caliber division opponents and 2 conference playoff caliber opponents. Getting wins in Dallas and Chicago felt really good
Oct 9 2019 08:22am
Quote (Giannis @ Oct 9 2019 09:08am)
That has to have been one of the toughest if not the toughest opening schedule in the league. Aside from the Broncos we had two playoff caliber division opponents and 2 conference playoff caliber opponents. Getting wins in Dallas and Chicago felt really good

@Chiefs and @49ers will be the other big tests outside of the division. Interested to see how we handle Detroit as they've had our number for a while now.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 9 2019 09:16am
Quote (Cheesehead @ Oct 9 2019 09:07pm)
@Chiefs and @49ers will be the other big tests outside of the division. Interested to see how we handle Detroit as they've had our number for a while now.

Detroit usually wins
Gold: 10,050.00
Oct 9 2019 11:11am
Quote (Cheesehead @ Oct 9 2019 09:22am)

In my opinion the Detroit Lions having our number is a recency bias observation. Before the Lions swept the Packers in 18 and 17, the Packers won 9 of the prior 12 matchups from 2011-2017 playoff game win in Detroit
Gold: 1,303.00
Oct 9 2019 11:25am
‘17 Lions, ‘18 lions, ‘19 lions
Don’t matter
Packers in 4
B)
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev1126812691270127112721463Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll