d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Official Vancouver Canucks Fan Thread > We're All Canucks
Prev1841842843844845882Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,647.74
Mar 1 2023 05:08pm
awesome trade, back to not giving a fuck about this team.
Gold: 17,801.00
Mar 1 2023 07:03pm
Hronek is a 1st pairing d-man for the Canucks.

Strong +/- on a sub 500 team.

Coveted right hand shot.

16 powerplay points.

Still young at 25. Solid overall defenseman.

Pretty steep price to pay but in all honesty I was hoping the Canucks would use the pick from the Horvat trade to draft a d-man that would turn out to be a Hronek like player.

Instead we get someone established who has proven he can be a 1st pair defenseman on our team, or at worst a top 4. Defense is significantly improved.

On a side note I read he has an upper body injury. No timetable has been given for his return. Really hoping we did not pick up damaged goods.

Also hopefully an extension will be announced soon.

This post was edited by Killingyouall on Mar 1 2023 07:04pm
Gold: 8,732.50
Mar 1 2023 07:30pm
He's a 1st pairing d-man if you assume he meshes well with Hughes and they play well together. However, having 2 OFD rarely works out but i've seen stranger things.

He would most likely be forced to play 2nd pairing if he doesn't mesh with Hughes.

His 16 ppp will decrease signicantly cuz he won't get much pp1 time with the Canucks cuz Hughes eats most of minutes.

At that cost, i would've paid for McCabe with the same retention. He's the type of dman the Canucks need more of, and at only 2m caphit lol.

Oh well, each move by move looks WTF but only time will tell what the "big picture" is about that JR/Alvin talks about all the time. It's just hilarious they say something and do another.

Gold: 17,801.00
Mar 1 2023 07:39pm
Quote (Secksii @ Mar 1 2023 05:30pm)
He's a 1st pairing d-man if you assume he meshes well with Hughes and they play well together. However, having 2 OFD rarely works out but i've seen stranger things.

He would most likely be forced to play 2nd pairing if he doesn't mesh with Hughes.

His 16 ppp will decrease signicantly cuz he won't get much pp1 time with the Canucks cuz Hughes eats most of minutes.

At that cost, i would've paid for McCabe with the same retention. He's the type of dman the Canucks need more of, and at only 2m caphit lol.

Oh well, each move by move looks WTF but only time will tell what the "big picture" is about that JR/Alvin talks about all the time. It's just hilarious they say something and do another.

Ya, they did the exact opposite.

I like Hronek, so trying to be optimistic. He is in the right age range.

With such a 180 though you have to wonder if Aquaman got involved and is trying to push a quick retool to get playoff revenue. If that's the case the management team is just cannon fodder anyways.

This post was edited by Killingyouall on Mar 1 2023 07:40pm
Mar 1 2023 08:48pm
I hope the Canucks sign Jake Livingstone. 6'4 205lbs all around dman would be perfect for Hughes. Straight outta college to 1RHD is tough to imagine, but it would be amazing if he and Quinn mesh well together.
Then pray OEL rebounds playing well with Hronek on the 2nd pairing.
Gold: 12,140.00
Mar 2 2023 03:37pm
Hughes is a #1 D-man, but should probably be kept away from top matchups when possible.

If we have a 2nd pair that is more the shutdown pair, perhaps Hughes - Hronek could work. No chance they could be the matchup pair, though. Problem is, we don't have 2 D-men that can play that role yet.

Hronek on the 2nd pair works fine, as well, but would need a solid partner. Who knows what OEL looks like the next time he plays.

In a vacuum the price isn't terrible but I just don't see how it exactly works for us in the big picture.

Hronek has also been a pretty divisive player in Detroit for most of his career. Outside of an awesome 3 month stretch this year, he's been a pretty average player. Canucks are betting that the peak he showed this year is the new him, and will be for 5+ years. It's quite the gamble.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how this makes sense for us.
Mar 2 2023 03:39pm
And from the management point of view, this is now two massive trades they have made that will shape the near future of the franchise.

There is perhaps another one coming before the deadline and if not, surely in the summer.

Which means this management team has made their bed. We should be able to evaluate the pros/cons of these deals and their "plan" within the next few years for the most part.

So if they have fucked up, they have accelerated their own exit.
Mar 2 2023 06:22pm
Quote (LuLer @ 2 Mar 2023 13:37)
Hughes is a #1 D-man, but should probably be kept away from top matchups when possible.

If we have a 2nd pair that is more the shutdown pair, perhaps Hughes - Hronek could work. No chance they could be the matchup pair, though. Problem is, we don't have 2 D-men that can play that role yet.

Hronek on the 2nd pair works fine, as well, but would need a solid partner. Who knows what OEL looks like the next time he plays.

In a vacuum the price isn't terrible but I just don't see how it exactly works for us in the big picture.

Hronek has also been a pretty divisive player in Detroit for most of his career. Outside of an awesome 3 month stretch this year, he's been a pretty average player. Canucks are betting that the peak he showed this year is the new him, and will be for 5+ years. It's quite the gamble.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how this makes sense for us.

Nah, I agree. This trade makes no sense at all. I don't care about the price being paid. Just don't think he's the type of player that the Canucks need or someone that would elevate this team to the next level.

Yzerman sees the east going ham, and there's no chance they'll win anything even if they made playoffs. Seider is his guy and their main guy. Hronek is basically how Hughes is being used in Detroit, plays a lot of minutes but they both play much better when another pair like oel/seider takes on the shit minutes so that Hughes and Hronek can do their thing. So Yzerman sold high on one of his top 4 dman, and now have a chance to become contenders in few years assuming the picks aren't busts.

Meanwhile, the Canucks are worse than Detroit before the trades and chose to retool by getting a solid top 4 rhd. What I don't understand is the timing of this trade.. And the type of player they chose. The Canucks have had a lot of ofd forced to play defensive minutes cuz Hughes eats a huge chunk of pp1. Before Hughes, Myers was sadly the Canucks main "ofd" cuz edler was basically an all around dman. Then oel was also an ofd, now forced to be all around guy like edler. Like I'd be less shocked if the Canucks gave a 2nd and 3rd or something for McCabe retained at 50% to lock him up for only 2m. Who is elite defensively, pk God, basically hits all the boxes the Canucks desperately need. Yet they get another poor man Hughes on the right side... So all I can do is pray oel and Hronek mesh really well together.

This post was edited by Secksii on Mar 2 2023 06:22pm
Gold: 1,803.72
Mar 2 2023 07:02pm
That interview with Hughes ... he wants out, he sounds so depressed lmao
Mar 3 2023 02:43pm
Somehow got a 4th for Lazar, has pretty much been a waiver type player for us.

PDG can fight for that spot next year lol (although he is UFA)

Disappointed we didn't move a contract out but disappointment was expected. I guess it'll have to wait til the draft. Or we'll have to pay draft picks to get out of the jam like with Dickinson.

This post was edited by LuLer on Mar 3 2023 02:44pm
Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1841842843844845882Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll