d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > General Gdt
Prev11415161718405Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,190.01
Oct 31 2021 09:22pm
Quote (Secksii @ Oct 31 2021 08:58pm)
8 hours old, based on 5v5 expected goals for %

this is why i think green should be replaced with someone else, cuz it's very tough to be worse than last season with insane schedule, covid, new faces with limited practice etc. Yet somehow he managed.

no excuse green can't do better than chicago and arizona...lol

to be fair that doesnt seem very accurate i wouldnt say your coach has to go based on this lol
it says 54% of flyers goals are going to be powerplay goals and 5/25 are ppg currently
now of course its only a limited amount of games but so far its not looking very good thats why i was asking whats its based off of like is some guy just randomly predicting out of his ass? on some sort of stats?

This post was edited by dragoneth on Oct 31 2021 09:24pm
Gold: 8,732.50
Nov 1 2021 01:24am
Quote (dragoneth @ 31 Oct 2021 20:22)
to be fair that doesnt seem very accurate i wouldnt say your coach has to go based on this lol
it says 54% of flyers goals are going to be powerplay goals and 5/25 are ppg currently
now of course its only a limited amount of games but so far its not looking very good thats why i was asking whats its based off of like is some guy just randomly predicting out of his ass? on some sort of stats?

Where do you get that 54% of fylers goals are going to be pp goals?

It's extremely accurate, you can check the team's current stats on hockey reference as well.

The Canucks are massively struggling upfront and defensively, and it's extremely obvious with the eye test.

This post was edited by Secksii on Nov 1 2021 01:26am
Nov 1 2021 01:36am
Quote (Secksii @ Nov 1 2021 03:24am)
Where do you get that 54% of fylers goals are going to be pp goals?

It's extremely accurate, you can check the team's current stats on hockey reference as well.

The Canucks are massively struggling upfront and defensively, and it's extremely obvious with the eye test.

https://i.imgur.com/7UXbDyF.jpg

it says 5 of goals 5 on 5 so i figured that leaves pp 4 on 4 and pk in the other % i guess its not just powerplay but usually 5 on 5 4 on 4 is just considered even strength
im not sure wtf it means all i know is it shows flyers at the bottom and they are 7th gf/g and 12th in gf with less gp so generally seeing them at the bottom for offense seem weird

This post was edited by dragoneth on Nov 1 2021 01:40am
Nov 1 2021 03:21am
Quote (dragoneth @ 1 Nov 2021 00:36)
it says 5 of goals 5 on 5 so i figured that leaves pp 4 on 4 and pk in the other % i guess its not just powerplay but usually 5 on 5 4 on 4 is just considered even strength
im not sure wtf it means all i know is it shows flyers at the bottom and they are 7th gf/g and 12th in gf with less gp so generally seeing them at the bottom for offense seem weird

expected goals for % combines and measures both xGF and xGA for the difference. For example, if a team is above 50%, that means that they're expected to score more goals than allow a goal in their own end. If they are below 50%, that means they're expected to be outscored by opponents.

5v5 does not measure special teams, as its not 5v5. So they don't contribute to this at all.

Flyers are at the bottom because they're usually outplayed on 5v5, however their brightside is that they've been scoring goals above their expected and also stopping more goals than their expected. An example that may help illustrate better is the Boston vs Philly game, where they won 6-3, but they've been mostly outplayed in the game. Jones had to make 40 saves, and Swayman only 24, which is expected from one of the best 5v5 team in the league vs a bottom 5v5 team. Philly capitalized on both power plays and went 2/2 that game too, although the penalty towards the end was just an empty netter on power play. Combined with Swayman's awful performance, philly were able to come out on top despite being heavily outplayed. So actual goals for/ goals against is different from what was "expected." This is common in hockey where favorites sometimes lose to the unfavored teams because of various factors, hence betting is fun and the odds are never the same. The only time the flyers pretty much outplayed their opponents on 5v5 are teams against like the kraken and canucks which are also at the bottom of 5v5.

This post was edited by Secksii on Nov 1 2021 03:21am
Nov 1 2021 04:22am
Quote (Secksii @ Nov 1 2021 05:21am)
expected goals for % combines and measures both xGF and xGA for the difference. For example, if a team is above 50%, that means that they're expected to score more goals than allow a goal in their own end. If they are below 50%, that means they're expected to be outscored by opponents.

5v5 does not measure special teams, as its not 5v5. So they don't contribute to this at all.

Flyers are at the bottom because they're usually outplayed on 5v5, however their brightside is that they've been scoring goals above their expected and also stopping more goals than their expected. An example that may help illustrate better is the Boston vs Philly game, where they won 6-3, but they've been mostly outplayed in the game. Jones had to make 40 saves, and Swayman only 24, which is expected from one of the best 5v5 team in the league vs a bottom 5v5 team. Philly capitalized on both power plays and went 2/2 that game too, although the penalty towards the end was just an empty netter on power play. Combined with Swayman's awful performance, philly were able to come out on top despite being heavily outplayed. So actual goals for/ goals against is different from what was "expected." This is common in hockey where favorites sometimes lose to the unfavored teams because of various factors, hence betting is fun and the odds are never the same. The only time the flyers pretty much outplayed their opponents on 5v5 are teams against like the kraken and canucks which are also at the bottom of 5v5.

oh so they think flyers are going to be a shitter team basically lol i see
wellwere missing ellis for a couple games and played panthers oilers and flames who are alll super hot teams that are hard to outplay and pulled off some wins so yeah flyers might not have outplayed them but it doesnt mean they got outplayed
the only 2 games i really feel flyers got outplayed was vs panthers and the flames bruins mighta got 40 shots but im pretty sure like 20 of those were trash and flyers got 25 shots its not like it was 40 vs 10 and craig smith took 7 of those 40
and the only loss calgary has was edm who came in undefeated and the only loss the panthers have is vs the bruins so id say the flyers are doing pretty solid considering the teams they have had to face so far whether your stats or predictions back it or not

This post was edited by dragoneth on Nov 1 2021 04:50am
Nov 1 2021 05:46am
Quote (dragoneth @ 1 Nov 2021 03:22)
oh so they think flyers are going to be a shitter team basically lol i see
wellwere missing ellis for a couple games and played panthers oilers and flames who are alll super hot teams that are hard to outplay and pulled off some wins so yeah flyers might not have outplayed them but it doesnt mean they got outplayed
the only 2 games i really feel flyers got outplayed was vs panthers and the flames bruins mighta got 40 shots but im pretty sure like 20 of those were trash and flyers got 25 shots its not like it was 40 vs 10 and craig smith took 7 of those 40
and the only loss calgary has was edm who came in undefeated and the only loss the panthers have is vs the bruins so id say the flyers are doing pretty solid considering the teams they have had to face so far whether your stats or predictions back it or not

not sure what you're trying to argue, the stats are there and it already happened. Oilers are also one of the teams that struggles on 5v5 despite having 2 100+ players on the team. The reason for their great record is capitalizing on their powerplay. Their special teams are insane. Scoring 50% on the pp is like if u get 10 powerplays, you can expect about 4-5 goals.
Other than mcdavid's line and their 3rd line, the rest of the team is under CF50%. They're basically carried by mcdavid and winning games through capitalizing on the powerplay. So it won't be a surprise if they struggle in playoffs when refs take away the whistle and the other teams focus shutting down mcdavid's line, cuz they're mostly relying on their 3rd line for offense.

So the 2 games you felt they got outplayed are by the teams that are in the top for xGF in the league, flames and panthers which is consistent with the data. Bruins got 40 shots because the team is at the top in xGF in the entire league, and outplayed the flyers on 5v5 to achieve that. It doesn't matter if you think 20 of those shots were trash, they are still sog. Just like how some of those goals swayman let in were trash sog and costed them the game. Yes, the flyers are doing solid considering the teams they faced and the actual goals they've scored and let in. That's what the data is exactly telling you

This post was edited by Secksii on Nov 1 2021 05:47am
Gold: 17.99
Nov 1 2021 09:26am
0-7-2 Blackhawks favored :bonk:
Gold: 50.00
Nov 1 2021 10:09am
Quote (Secksii @ Nov 1 2021 05:46am)
not sure what you're trying to argue, the stats are there and it already happened.Oilers are also one of the teams that struggles on 5v5 despite having 2 100+ players on the team. The reason for their great record is capitalizing on their powerplay. Their special teams are insane. Scoring 50% on the pp is like if u get 10 powerplays, you can expect about 4-5 goals.
Other than mcdavid's line and their 3rd line, the rest of the team is under CF50%. They're basically carried by mcdavid and winning games through capitalizing on the powerplay. So it won't be a surprise if they struggle in playoffs when refs take away the whistle and the other teams focus shutting down mcdavid's line, cuz they're mostly relying on their 3rd line for offense.

So the 2 games you felt they got outplayed are by the teams that are in the top for xGF in the league, flames and panthers which is consistent with the data. Bruins got 40 shots because the team is at the top in xGF in the entire league, and outplayed the flyers on 5v5 to achieve that. It doesn't matter if you think 20 of those shots were trash, they are still sog. Just like how some of those goals swayman let in were trash sog and costed them the game. Yes, the flyers are doing solid considering the teams they faced and the actual goals they've scored and let in. That's what the data is exactly telling you

:rolleyes:
Gold: 255.11
Nov 1 2021 10:35am
Quote (Secksii @ Nov 1 2021 07:46am)
not sure what you're trying to argue, the stats are there and it already happened. Oilers are also one of the teams that struggles on 5v5 despite having 2 100+ players on the team. The reason for their great record is capitalizing on their powerplay. Their special teams are insane. Scoring 50% on the pp is like if u get 10 powerplays, you can expect about 4-5 goals.

Flyers good shoudl be on top
Gold: 7,010.55
Nov 2 2021 05:13pm
1:55 into the game and the puck hasnt left the wings zone. might be another one of those nights...

habs score, oh boy.

This post was edited by VAS3CT0MY on Nov 2 2021 05:13pm
Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev11415161718405Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll