d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Terpsbook: Nhl > Daily Betting Thread
Prev1107108109110Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10.55
Mar 18 2020 03:55pm
Quote (Madmartigan @ Mar 18 2020 02:40pm)
$5 million in fines seems like such a small penalty for a rich owner in any pro sport.
Just sell a major stake of the Arizona Coyotes to Tillman Fertitta already. We'll take it!
I think ultimately he'll receive a small percent of ownership to play at Toyota Center.

But seriously, billionaire Alex Meruelo can handle it. He'll come to Houston if there's no new arena deal.
I'm feeling very good about the Coyotes relocating to Houston. The Arizona taxpayers won't fund it.

I'm ready to watch the NHL full time. I'll never miss a game if they come to Houston.

Its not as simple as just selling off part or all of the team and moving.
The owners and commissioner have to approve the sale, which is only the first obstacle.
the second would be the league willingness to allow a team where they are the only hockey team in the state, to a different state that already has one.
after that, the existing arena must be outfitted for hockey, which is no small feat, they would need to rip up floor, install refrigeration units underneath, outfit several front rows with the ability to be removed for the dasher boards, glass, netting, etc. its a HUGE job, and will cost several million dollars.

My point here is that, while the coyotes are probably the top relocation candidate at this time; i would not hold your breath. Even after the approval of any sale, it would take SEVERAL years before Houston would sniff the NHL.

Quote (Madmartigan @ Mar 18 2020 02:51pm)
Fair enough, but Alex Meruelo has only owned a majority stake of the Arizona Coyotes for how long? Not even a full year yet. I doubt he's lost that much money in so little time. It's not like he's been there for years and years. He's got a $2 billion dollar net worth. Astros owner Jim Crane has a net worth of $2.5 billion.

I'm just saying that $5 million to men like that isn't much is it? They can handle it. I know the Coyotes are hurting financially, low home attendance and need a new arena. I thought Gary Bettman promised Meruelo he can relocate the Coyotes to another city if Arizona doesn't give him his new arena. And Meruelo can easily recoup any financial losses by moving them to Houston and allowing Tillman Fertitta to become part of his ownership group.

Also, i believe the TEAM was fined, not the OWNER, im not certain on the rules of fine payments, and how they can be paid. I'd imagine the payment would have to come from the team, and not the owners own pockets.
Otherwise filthy rich owners would constantly do scumming shit, and just pay for it, where other owners who might not be quite as filthy rich cannot take that risk.

The NHL is not like basketball or baseball where scummy shit happens and then the filthy rich just pay it off and life moves on.
Stuff like that doesnt happen in the NHL, for the most part rules are followed and teams rarely get fined.

This post was edited by Queefy on Mar 18 2020 03:58pm
Gold: 8.69
Mar 18 2020 03:58pm
Quote (Queefy @ Mar 18 2020 04:55pm)
Its not as simple as just selling off part or all of the team and moving.
The owners and commissioner have to approve the sale, which is only the first obstacle.
the second would be the league willingness to allow a team where they are the only hockey team in the state, to a different state that already has one.
after that, the existing arena must be outfitted for hockey, which is no small feat, they would need to rip up floor, install refrigeration units underneath, outfit several front rows with the ability to be removed for the dasher boards, glass, netting, etc. its a HUGE job, and will cost several million dollars.

My point here is that, while the coyotes are probably the top relocation candidate at this time; i would not hold your breath. Even after the approval of any sale, it would take SEVERAL years before Houston would sniff the NHL.

I thought Houston landed the Edmonton Oilers back in 1997 when I was still in high school!
But somehow the city of Edmonton was able to keep them at the last minute. Cue sad face...
Believe me, I'm definitely not going to celebrate until it's a done deal. I'll still love the 'Yotes.

Even if they stayed in Arizona I'll continue to be a fan. Maybe I ought to travel there for a game.
Well, I can't now. I'm actually sick (hopefully no coronavirus) but I meant in the future when it's safe.

But hey, the Dallas Stars are near the top in home attendance in the NHL. That can't hurt can it? Arizona doesn't draw the fans!
Mar 18 2020 04:00pm
Quote (Madmartigan @ Mar 18 2020 02:58pm)
I thought Houston landed the Edmonton Oilers back in 1997 when I was still in high school!
But somehow the city of Edmonton was able to keep them at the last minute. Cue sad face...
Believe me, I'm definitely not going to celebrate until it's a done deal. I'll still love the 'Yotes.

Even if they stayed in Arizona I'll continue to be a fan. Maybe I ought to travel there for a game.
Well, I can't now. I'm actually sick (hopefully no coronavirus) but I meant in the future when it's safe.

But hey, the Dallas Stars are near the top in home attendance in the NHL. That can't hurt can it? Arizona doesn't draw the fans!

I believe they were outbid by a group who wanted to keep the team in edmonton.
Mar 18 2020 04:02pm
Actually it may have been 1998 when then Houston Rockets owner, Les Alexander, made a strong bid to purchase the Edmonton Oilers. Not 1997. I think 1997 was when I first learned of Houston trying to land an NHL franchise. It's been so long ago! All I know is we've been after an NHL franchise for decades. We even flirted with the Pittsburgh Penguins ownership back in 2007. Mario Lemieux and his team was in town checking out the Toyota Center. Of course the Penguins never came here, but honestly, the third time is the charm right? We failed with the Oilers and Penguins, but you've got to figure the Coyotes will be ours if persistence pays off.
Mar 18 2020 04:05pm
Quote (Queefy @ Mar 18 2020 05:00pm)
I believe they were outbid by a group who wanted to keep the team in edmonton.

Yeah, I think it was February of 1998 when Les Alexander made his strong bid. Edmonton matched it on March 13, 1998.
It would've been cool to have the Houston Oilers back in town as an NHL team. After the NFL Oilers had left the year before.
Mar 18 2020 04:10pm
People assume that hockey can't work in Texas but the Dallas Stars definitely prove otherwise with their amazing fan support and strong home attendance. What if Houston can draw a bigger fan base and better home attendance than the Arizona Coyotes receive in Glendale? Surely we're a better option unless they can prove me wrong and land a new arena.

Ah, man. Were the Coyotes supposed to play the Golden Knights tonight?
Ugh. I'd have rounded up 200 forum gold and bet on them if there was a game.

Sigh, I'm so down and depressed without sports. I'd even be happy with some women's lacrosse at this point.
Gold: 1,184.50
Mar 18 2020 10:06pm
Max bruins ml

1k parlay bruins , coyotes
Mar 20 2020 09:05pm
Join Tyson Nash, Paul Bissonette and Matt McConnell as the Coyotes take on the Detroit Red Wings in this nail-biting game simulation in NHL20!

Mar 20 2020 09:51pm
Quote (Madmartigan @ Mar 20 2020 08:05pm)
Join Tyson Nash, Paul Bissonette and Matt McConnell as the Coyotes take on the Detroit Red Wings in this nail-biting game simulation in NHL20!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-hqCvJlkoI

Biznasty #1
Mar 22 2020 08:55am

25 Forum Gold on my Coyotes money line!

The Arizona Coyotes were supposed to play the LA Kings at Staples Center tonight.

Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1107108109110Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll