d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Anime > One Piece Manga Discussion > ~discuss The Manga Only~
Prev1183184185186187753Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,463.00
Oct 17 2010 09:34pm
Quote (Black487 @ Oct 17 2010 11:23pm)
I only just started reading the manga within the past week, so I'm new here. And of course I didn't read the entire thread.

As for sheik's comment, you think smoker will or will not be? Sounds like you said he wouldn't be.

I feel like Smoker could get a butt kicking but then adapt. He's not necessarily that simple

i think he wont be.
the rival needs to be from the same generation imo.
also imo, smoker is not strong enough to be luffy's rival.
Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 70%
Oct 17 2010 09:42pm
Gold D Roger to Garp = Luffy to Coby
Gold D Roger to Sengoku = Luffy to Smoker

IMO
Gold: 2.90
Oct 17 2010 09:44pm
Quote (Eep @ Oct 17 2010 11:34pm)
well I usually read a few pages back in any thread to get an idea of what's going on without looking like an ass

Looks like your overreacting just a tad, and yeah that's exactly what I did. I'm not going to mine too ridiculously far, it's 185 pages there's no major point.

Besides, there's no harm in asking a question twice. Can't hurt revisiting a question that hasn't been answered yet and is pure speculation.

This post was edited by Black487 on Oct 17 2010 09:45pm
Banned
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 70%
Oct 17 2010 09:47pm
Quote (Black487 @ Oct 17 2010 10:44pm)
Looks like your overreacting just a tad, and yeah that's exactly what I did.  I'm not going to mine too ridiculously far, it's 185 pages there's no major point.

Besides, there's no harm in asking a question twice.  Can't hurt revisiting a question that hasn't been answered yet and is pure speculation.

doesn't mather if there was the same discussion two weeks ago.

two weeks ago was two weeks ago
Oct 17 2010 09:51pm
Quote (Whitebeard @ Oct 17 2010 11:47pm)
doesn't mather if there was the same discussion two weeks ago.

two weeks ago was two weeks ago

Agreed. Anyways, I didn't recall any significant relationship between sengoku and gol d. roger.

Did the series cover any history involving them that is just slipping my memory?

Quote (shsheik @ Oct 17 2010 11:34pm)
i think he wont be.
the rival needs to be from the same generation imo.
also imo, smoker is not strong enough to be luffy's rival.

Luffy got his butt swiftly kicked by smoker at marine HQ. He's not limited to just logia. Flight, speed, and seastone are all at his disposal. Plus, two years in the new world could have done smoker a favor or two as well.

I feel like Smoker is under-ranked given his strength, but at the same time that gives him plenty of space to grow within the marines along with luffy.

This post was edited by Black487 on Oct 17 2010 09:56pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 17 2010 10:31pm
Quote (Black487 @ Oct 17 2010 09:51pm)
Agreed.  Anyways, I didn't recall any significant relationship between sengoku and gol d. roger. 

Did the series cover any history involving them that is just slipping my memory?

Luffy got his butt swiftly kicked by smoker at marine HQ.  He's not limited to just logia.  Flight, speed, and seastone are all at his disposal.  Plus, two years in the new world could have done smoker a favor or two as well.

I feel like Smoker is under-ranked given his strength, but at the same time that gives him plenty of space to grow within the marines along with luffy.

smoker is only good vs luffy it seams vs rest he isnt so strong hes gotten his ass kicked by dragon ace and hancock
Oct 17 2010 10:35pm
Quote (five33 @ Oct 18 2010 12:31am)
smoker is only good vs luffy it seams vs rest he isnt so strong hes gotten his ass kicked by dragon ace and hancock

ty.
also, it's because of his logia abilities that he has flight and speed.
i just dont see how it can be a good fight once a haki-experienced luffy meets him.
smoker couldn't dodge simple kicks from hancock, how is he gonna dodge a gatling gun from luffy?
Oct 17 2010 10:38pm
Quote (five33 @ Oct 18 2010 12:31am)
smoker is only good vs luffy it seams vs rest he isnt so strong  hes gotten his ass kicked by dragon ace and hancock

Smoker vs ace was a draw. Fire and smoke neutralized each other.

Dragon is the worlds most wanted man. We haven't seem him fight yet per se, but I feel it's safe to assume he's about as dangerous as an admiral. Otherwise, it's difficult to imagine he's survived so long with such a bounty.

Hancock's also a big player who shouldn't be taken lightly. We're forgetting something though. If smoker were as strong as Dragon and Hancock, he would have been a disproportionate rival for luffy, as all this time luffy never would have stood a chance.

In theory, rivals will grow in strength throughout the series to match each other.

Oh, and we're also forgetting that we haven't seen how smoker has changed over the two year time gap. Your comparing old smoker to current luffy.

This post was edited by Black487 on Oct 17 2010 10:42pm
Oct 17 2010 10:47pm
Quote (Black487 @ Oct 18 2010 12:38am)
Smoker vs ace was a draw. Fire and smoke neutralized each other.

Dragon is the worlds most wanted man. We haven't seem him fight yet per se, but I feel it's safe to assume he's about as dangerous as an admiral. Otherwise, it's difficult to imagine he's survived so long with such a bounty.

Hancock's also a big player who shouldn't be taken lightly. We're forgetting something though. If smoker were as strong as Dragon and Hancock, he would have been a disproportionate rival for luffy, as all this time luffy never would have stood a chance.

In theory, rivals will grow in strength throughout the series to match each other.

Oh, and we're also forgetting that we haven't seen how smoker has changed over the two year time gap.

no one is forgetting how he has changed.
luffy just learned everything about haki that rayleigh could teach him.
rayleigh was experienced enough with haki that he could fight evenly with an admiral.
i think that yes, smoker will undoubtedly get better, but to the point where he can counter haki that can be as strong as hancock's mixed with the gomu gomu fruit, as well as the speed that was able to match lucci's... i just dont see it.
Oct 17 2010 10:50pm
Quote (shsheik @ Oct 18 2010 12:47am)
no one is forgetting how he has changed.
luffy just learned everything about haki that rayleigh could teach him.
rayleigh was experienced enough with haki that he could fight evenly with an admiral.
i think that yes, smoker will undoubtedly get better, but to the point where he can counter haki that can be as strong as hancock's mixed with the gomu gomu fruit, as well as the speed that was able to match lucci's... i just dont see it.

Of course the show is about Luffy, in the end he'll pull through. But in terms of a main rival who not only chases/causes trouble for, but also may help luffy throughout the series I think Smoker takes the cake for now.

We'll of course have to see
Go Back To Anime Topic List
Prev1183184185186187753Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll