d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Avengers: Infinity War > Thoughts? Predictions...wants/do Nots
Prev15678914Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 70.66
May 1 2018 02:29pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 1 2018 02:13pm)
"Wanting to kill half the population" and understanding that we've already grown to an unsustainable population and knowing that some form of drastic correction is unavoidable are two WAY different things. Thanos doesn't want to kill people (at least not the movie version of Thanos), he's just doing what he feels is necessary to make life thrive. You can disagree with his methods or reasoning (or me agreeing with this as being the best/easiest solution), but not understanding the difference between the two things I mentioned above makes me worry that you're not capable of continuing this conversation. I'm not saying that you definitely are, nor am I trying to insult you in any way, just saying that you gotta be able to at least understand the difference between the ends for the sake of the means to have a conversation on the subject.

e: Even if the population stayed exactly where it is now for the next 100 years, which would take a level of enforcement and global cooperation that is not even remotely possible in the world we live in, we'd still be depleting our resources at an unsustainable rate. The earth has always corrected population and resource depletion by wiping out large amounts of the populous with disease, natural disasters, or by letting humans simply succumb to their baser instincts of killing one another. With the mass advancements in technology, medicine, and weaponry, we've gotten to a point where only small numbers of people are dying in comparison to the past, we're consuming at an unprecedented rate, we're living longer than ever before, we're able to avoid or recover from most horrific natural disasters, and we're not wiping each other out in mass; since that would mean nuclear war, which could potentially eradicate all life. The world is in a dire position, and while you or your children may not be suffering, it won't be long until life will be unbearable for everyone here but the super rich. While this is a horrible way to go about fixing the problem, it would fix the problem, and we'd just need to repeat the process every 100 years or so until we figure out a way to travel faster than light and inhabit other livable planets. Even then though, any other planet with sustainable life is going to have people already there. We'll just be spreading from planet to planet wiping out the indigenous people and why should they die so we can live, shouldn't we both just die in equal numbers?

Bravo. :thumbsup: Would you volunteer to be the executioner?
Gold: 1,497.83
May 1 2018 02:49pm
Movie version wants to bring balance to the universe by population control

Comic version wants to bring death to all living beings to impress Death

They tamed down his intentions otherwise people wouldn’t empathize with him at all
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 1 2018 03:01pm
Quote (Malignanttumor666 @ May 1 2018 01:29pm)
Bravo. :thumbsup: Would you volunteer to be the executioner?

I'd rather not, but I would if I had to.

Quote (Happypuppy @ May 1 2018 01:49pm)
Movie version wants to bring balance to the universe by population control

Comic version wants to bring death to all living beings to impress Death

They tamed down his intentions otherwise people wouldn’t empathize with him at all

Yep. Source material is pretty much always sooooooo much better than what we get, that's why I just try my best to not think about the comics. I have enough trouble enjoying these movies on their own, if I was dwelling on all the problems/contradictions from the comic to the screen, I'd never get to enjoy any of them.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 1 2018 03:03pm
Gold: 10,025.00
May 1 2018 05:59pm
Earth today doesn't have a resource/population issue, it has a distribution issue. Too few people control too much resources.

Capitalism really is the main issue.
Gold: 5,837.69
May 1 2018 06:39pm
Quote (Blah58 @ 1 May 2018 19:59)
Earth today doesn't have a resource/population issue, it has a distribution issue. Too few people control too much resources.

Capitalism really is the main issue.

capitalism is one issue but even if everthing was distributed equally, we last older with meds n technology and we make babies like if it was nothing so more mouth, house etc...

the earth doesnt produce enough ressource fast enough for our numbers growing each day

human race needs a new nemesis except himself
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 1 2018 07:07pm
Quote (hammered_guy @ May 1 2018 05:39pm)
capitalism is one issue but even if everthing was distributed equally, we last older with meds n technology and we make babies like if it was nothing so more mouth, house etc...

the earth doesnt produce enough ressource fast enough for our numbers growing each day

Thank you. Once again, it's not like I personally want everyone to die, or that I want someone else to kill everyone, I just think we need some way of tipping the balance back into the favor of the Earth and it's resources, because without it, we're going to be fucked sooner than later.
May 1 2018 07:13pm
Quote (hammered_guy @ May 1 2018 05:39pm)

Our current numbers are completely sustainable. We have governments paying farmers to not farm to not fuck with the price of food and keep it just high enough. We have corporations throwing out 40-60% of the worlds food that they can't sell in grocery stores. We have the top 1% owning 90+% of the worlds resources and not giving a shit about the worlds issues.
Gold: 5,475.04
May 2 2018 05:09pm
As much fun as this discussion about whether we should kill half the people on the planet is I'm gonna go back to the movie

Easily the best mcu movie. Thanos was a fantastic villain. Not only was he a huge badass but he wasn't just completely evil either. Honestly one of my favorite movie villains ever. The rest of the film was good too they did a way better job incorporating all of the members than I thought they would, and the ending was crazy they really held nothing back, which can hardly be expected from a movie in this universe
May 2 2018 05:52pm
Quote (Flameyes @ May 2 2018 04:09pm)
As much fun as this discussion about whether we should kill half the people on the planet is I'm gonna go back to the movie

Easily the best mcu movie. Thanos was a fantastic villain. Not only was he a huge badass but he wasn't just completely evil either. Honestly one of my favorite movie villains ever. The rest of the film was good too they did a way better job incorporating all of the members than I thought they would, and the ending was crazy they really held nothing back, which can hardly be expected from a movie in this universe

Yes he was.
Gold: 121.03
May 2 2018 06:57pm
thors wakanda entry was epic as f

This post was edited by JudgeTedd on May 2 2018 06:58pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev15678914Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll