d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > 13 Reasons Why
Prev12930313233Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,025.00
Jul 29 2017 04:23pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Jul 29 2017 06:52am)
In 2017, the blanket around the term "bullying" includes actions who are actually bullying and other actions mislabeled as bullying. That's the conversation that the show focuses on.

I've thought about it a bit and I think you are both correct and incorrect. The adults intervention after Hannah's suicide showed that they 100% only care about if bullying was the cause of her suicide, and I mean that kind of make sense because what other recourse could they possibly take? But the adults heavy focus on the single aspect when we know that there are many many more aspects involved kind of makes the whole message a bit murky.

I think maybe it is trying to show people that suicide has many different causes and the so called "protectors" need to start addressing that maybe? I don't know...

Also finally did the work to get my signature back. I feel like me again :bouncy:
Gold: 4.37
Jul 29 2017 05:32pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jul 29 2017 10:23pm)
I've thought about it a bit and I think you are both correct and incorrect. The adults intervention after Hannah's suicide showed that they 100% only care about if bullying was the cause of her suicide, and I mean that kind of make sense because what other recourse could they possibly take? But the adults heavy focus on the single aspect when we know that there are many many more aspects involved kind of makes the whole message a bit murky.

I think maybe it is trying to show people that suicide has many different causes and the so called "protectors" need to start addressing that maybe? I don't know...

Also finally did the work to get my signature back. I feel like me again :bouncy:

Yes.

Especially the scene with the guidance counselor. He is a represention of what schools can sometimes do today, to not get involved with how people are treated or in extreme cases, rape.

We don't want adults in school systems that would act like the counsoler, we want people to actually push "Hannah" to tell us what happened when it's completely obvious something is wrong. We don't want to protect the perpetrators.
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Aug 1 2017 11:06am
Google searches for “how to commit suicide” increased 26% following the release of "13 Reasons Why", a Netflix series about a girl who commits suicide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/6qwdgo/google_searches_for_how_to_commit_suicide/
Gold: 63,142.89
Aug 1 2017 12:15pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Aug 1 2017 01:06pm)
Google searches for “how to commit suicide” increased 26% following the release of "13 Reasons Why", a Netflix series about a girl who commits suicide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/6qwdgo/google_searches_for_how_to_commit_suicide/

13RW is the new natural selection. It's release helps thin the herd of weak people so the human gene pool can flourish.
Aug 1 2017 01:58pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Aug 1 2017 05:06pm)

Yet, suicide hotline numbers and preventatives also increased by similar figures.

With that said, there were a lot of good comments in that Reddit thread.

Although I still highly support the creation of this show, and how I think they did an incredible job, I respectfully retract any statement I made regarding how the show may or may not influence people.

I personally would never see this as a negative, but my opinion about that can be easily differed by someone else. Especially since everyone has a different mindset and emotional level. However with that said, I firmly stand my ground in saying that in no way does it "glorify" suicide as has been popularly mentioned.

"Better" parenting
Being genuinely respectful towards familiars and strangers.
And respectful adult intervening when necessary

Those are the best preventatives.....at least with social issues, I don't know of a solution for true mental illness.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 1 2017 02:20pm
Aug 1 2017 03:33pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Aug 1 2017 03:58pm)
However with that said, I firmly stand my ground in saying that in no way does it "glorify" suicide as has been popularly mentioned.

In the eyes of ignorant teenagers, I can definitely see how it would. They aren't old enough to process what they are seeing. At its core, it's not much different than a McDonald's commercial. They show young attractive people eating McDonald's -> young people think that emulating that behavior is a good idea (even though they know it is unhealthy). A popular show depicts an attractive girl engaging in any behavior -> impressionable kids start thinking about emulating that behavior. These types of messages are proven to work.

That being said, the increase in Google searches does not stand as a valid criticism of the show in my eyes. If you looked at just the statistics for Aug. 6-9th, 1945 then you might reach the conclusion that the atomic bombs killed a lot of Japanese. You would technically be correct, but in reality we all know that in the long run, those bombs saved more Japanese then they killed.

If our culture is ever going to have a conversation about the issues raised in the show, then suicide awareness is going to have to happen. The other viewpoint would be to say that the current suicide rate is fine and we should keep it there by staying quiet about it.
Aug 1 2017 03:59pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Aug 1 2017 09:33pm)
In the eyes of ignorant teenagers, I can definitely see how it would. They aren't old enough to process what they are seeing. At its core, it's not much different than a McDonald's commercial. They show young attractive people eating McDonald's -> young people think that emulating that behavior is a good idea (even though they know it is unhealthy). A popular show depicts an attractive girl engaging in any behavior -> impressionable kids start thinking about emulating that behavior. These types of messages are proven to work.

That being said, the increase in Google searches does not stand as a valid criticism of the show in my eyes. If you looked at just the statistics for Aug. 6-9th, 1945 then you might reach the conclusion that the atomic bombs killed a lot of Japanese. You would technically be correct, but in reality we all know that in the long run, those bombs saved more Japanese then they killed.

If our culture is ever going to have a conversation about the issues raised in the show, then suicide awareness is going to have to happen. The other viewpoint would be to say that the current suicide rate is fine and we should keep it there by staying quiet about it.

If Hannah showed relief during the act, a sign of being at peace, or some level of satisfaction, then I could understand it glorying. Yet, none of those things occurred. It was gruesome, and she was frightened.

The thing is, the act of slicing your wrists is nothing new and is commonly referenced and shown in film.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Aug 1 2017 04:03pm
Aug 1 2017 04:56pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Aug 1 2017 05:59pm)
If Hannah showed relief during the act, a sign of being at peace, or some level of satisfaction, then I could understand it glorying. Yet, none of those things occurred. It was gruesome, and she was frightened.

The thing is, the act of slicing your wrists is nothing new and is commonly referenced and shown in film.

I agree that the criticism over the inclusion of that scene is unwarranted.

The thing that I think would cause a 14-year old to view suicide in a "glorified" way is the tapes plot device (non-linear storytelling). If I had to pick a few moments to highlight this, it would be dream sequence at the dance (when Hannah starts bleeding) and the famous moment "why didn't you tell me this when I was alive?". It reeks of a Romeo&Juliet or Titanic style scene, where someone is dying but it's still presented romantically.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Aug 1 2017 05:01pm
Aug 1 2017 05:09pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Aug 1 2017 10:56pm)

The thing that I think would cause a 14-year old to view suicide in a "glorified" way is the tapes plot device (non-linear storytelling). If I had to pick a few moments to highlight this, it would be dream sequence at the dance (when Hannah starts bleeding) and the famous moment "why didn't you tell me this when I was alive?". It reeks of a Romeo&Juliet or Titanic style scene, where someone is dying but it's still presented romantically.

I suppose it's impossible for me to view this as a (young) teenager.
Gold: 2,570.91
Aug 1 2017 05:34pm
Quote (Kayeto @ 2 Aug 2017 00:56)

There are definitely several scenes of catharsis. Towards the end of the show Hannah's memory is also "rewarded" with love, empathy/sympathy, understanding, etc from the people around her. And that's the kind of thing many suicidal people crave (the feeling of acceptance and being understood/cared). Glorifying might be too much of an exaggerated term, but the depiction the show makes of the consequences derived from suicide can be very dangerously misinterpreted by a confused angsty teenage mind.

This post was edited by zarkadon on Aug 1 2017 05:35pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev12930313233Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll