d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT >
Poll > The Perfect Os :) > Same
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 1,610.35
Feb 26 2009 05:10pm
Quote (ghot @ Wed, 25 Feb 2009, 18:30)
Actually its to make a point to MS......

When you say average IQ/income does that include 3rd world countries?
Gold: 490,808.99
Feb 26 2009 05:13pm
Why buy when you can download or upgrade to Windows 7 for free?
Gold: 8,601.26
Feb 26 2009 05:20pm
Your preference looks like a expended control panel with unlogical additions.

Major OEMs will never endorse this os.

- User easily able to access regedit, edit boot.ini, and overclocking settings is just plain stupid, its the ultimate recipe for disaster. These things should be hidden away from typical users.
- Users that this os is targeting wouldn't worry about fan speed and temperature, big oem do a great job balancing the load and temperature inside a computer. Also will ESA takes off, everything will be self monitored since all hardware will be interconnected.
- keyboard macros.. WTF? So consumers need to buy a "windows midnight" compatible keyboard?
- So this perfect black box os lets you revert to the previous day for example.. Yet users are able to mess with raid settings to destroy the array. Genius.

Gold: 10,485.00
Feb 26 2009 05:49pm
EEK as usual, you read then u assume...before you THINK smile.gif One of the the Preferences is....Edit preferences smile.gif
The user.... even the admin can't SEE the black box...it won't exist in any Raid Array.....and I don't recall atm how to do it but all keyboards since forever can have the keys reassigned, all MS would have to do is add an interface for it.

This post was edited by ghot on Feb 26 2009 05:58pm
Feb 26 2009 06:00pm
Quote (***god @ Thu, Feb 26 2009, 07:10pm)
When you say average IQ/income does that include 3rd world countries?

Yes World includes the 3rd world also smile.gif
Gold: 199.18
Warn: 10%
Feb 26 2009 07:03pm
1. The MS Midnight OS will cost $100
*nix - Free.
2. The OS itself will be a black box (read only) and not visible to the user, the internet,the network or Microsoft Updates.
Virtualization is possible on most OS's..
3. The user, the internet, the network and MS Updates will only see a Virtual OS.
see #2
4. Upon install, MS Midnight will install its' black box copy of the OS and then a Virtual copy of the OS.
Redundancy for the masses.. ok
5. The Black box OS will be inviolable. (read only).
Yeah, theoretically MS, OSX, etc.. are all "inviolable" until you exploit something and overwrite into your "inviolable" memory ... *oops*
6. The Virtual OS will be just that; a Virtual OS that is the only portion visible to the user, internet, network or MS Updates.
This concept has already been exploited, see #5
7. The Virtual OS will, initially copy the Black Box portion of the OS...aka...driver cache, .dll, .ocx, .exe etc files
see #4
8. The Virtual OS will have only three Icons on the screen/desktop. Preferences, Save Today and Delete Today.
Fail
9. The Preferences button will replace the Control panel, Tweak UI, the services snap in, My computer....etc.
Fail
10. The Preferences button will open a window that has nothing but checkboxes and sentences that the average IQ can comprehend.
Fail
11. The Preferences button will have selections suchs as:
Fail*
12. The Save Today and the Delete Today buttons should be obvious even to high IQ MS employees. One saves the days changes, the other removes them.
Fail

Just use *nix...
Feb 26 2009 07:11pm
..... the Black box will be on a separate read only HD with its own cache....so "nix" everything you just said smile.gif but good look smile.gif

This post was edited by ghot on Feb 26 2009 07:12pm
Gold: 11.50
May 25 2009 11:09pm
Bumping Ghot's retarded thread.!
Gold: 112.69
Warn: 10%
May 27 2009 02:25pm
Quote (ghot @ Wed, Feb 25 2009, 12:40am)
Re: The next OS after Windows 7 goes the way of the Vista Dodo-bird.

Facts: Average World Income -- $7000 http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2007/10/07/average_earnings_worldwide/
Average World IQ -- 90-100 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations

Problem: Microsoft is too smart for their own good, despite previous fiscal returns.

Soultion: Windows Midnight -- your next OS

The How-To:

1. The MS Midnight OS will cost $100
2. The OS itself will be a black box (read only) and not visible to the user, the internet,the network or Microsoft Updates.
3. The user, the internet, the network and MS Updates will only see a Virtual OS.
4. Upon install, MS Midnight will install its' black box copy of the OS and then a Virtual copy of the OS.
5. The Black box OS will be inviolable. (read only).
6. The Virtual OS will be just that; a Virtual OS that is the only portion visible to the user, internet, network or MS Updates.
7. The Virtual OS will, initially copy the Black Box portion of the OS...aka...driver cache, .dll, .ocx, .exe etc files
8. The Virtual OS will have only three Icons on the screen/desktop. Preferences, Save Today and Delete Today.
9. The Preferences button will replace the Control panel, Tweak UI, the services snap in, My computer....etc.
10. The Preferences button will open a window that has nothing but checkboxes and sentences that the average IQ can comprehend.
11. The Preferences button will have selections suchs as:
[] Adjust Desktop Appearence
[] Adjust Screensaver
[] Adjust Services
[] Add or Remove Users
[] Adjust Power Settings
[] Connect to the Internet
[] Connect this computer to one or more Computers
[] Setup Windows Explorer
[] Setup my Firewall
[] Add or Remove Programs
[] Open Registry Editor
[] Adjust my Pagefile
[] Open Group Policy Editor
[] Open System Tools (provide defragmentor, partitoning tool, and true system information...for those over the phone help Mom calls)
[] Setup my Taskbar
[] Monitor my hardware
[] Open Device Manager
[] Setup File Sharing
[] Setup Parental Controls
[] Setup my Desktop Widgets
[] Save todays changes as a Profile icon_pointl.gif--- VERY IMPORTANT!
[] Connect to my XBox
[] Choose and setup my Browser
[] Restore my Computer to Original Install (this of course will require wiping the Virtual OS and w/e infections or stupidity it contains...no more MERGE)
[] Get applications from Microsoft

......well, you get the idea. ALL settings for all things possible to adjust, from the casual user to the wants and desires of the enthusiast. Currently, settings are placed in far too many locations, thus frustrating both the casual and the experienced user. There is no logical reason for this. Granted Preferences Window will be a huge list, but ALL people are quite familiar with large lists. Having them all in ONE location, will win their hearts.

a. A check mark placed in any selection will open a Wizard. The Wizard will explain each option so that an average IQ user can comprehend.
b. Dangerous settings will be denoted by RED.
c. Non dangerous settings denoted by GREEN.
12. The Save Today and the Delete Today buttons should be obvious even to high IQ MS employees. One saves the days changes, the other removes them.

The reasons you will make this OS, Windows Midnight, are many and few. First the name Midnight denotes a sea-change OS. Second, the reason for the invisible to the user etc., Black Box, should also be obvious. No more irreversible infections, no need to defragment the Black Box. MS already offers
this solution, but in two or three parts. This is silly.
What the world wants from MS is an affordable, easy to use OS that does NOT require searching MS's website for unintelligible answers to simple problems they face daily. All options under the Preferences Button should be OFF by default as should the internet connection. MS consistently makes assumptions of what users will want or desire and are wrong in those assumtions at least 75-90% of the time. MS is great, they are NOT omnicient.

Now I'm sure I can hear the marketing dept. fainting in the background. Not to worry I've considered them also. The Black Box portion of the OS will occasionly need to be updated to add newer driver files etc., for the person who bought the OS 2 years after you released it. Simply sell at all major online and retail locations; Service pack CD's for $5 that can access the Black Box portion of the OS. With the price of an average computer in the $500-$1500 range, a $350-$400 OS is a surefire way to encourage Linux Devs to create a graphical rather than command line interface and put MS in the breadline.
The reason Vista and soon....Windows 7 are not going to win over the masses, is that they require much too long a learning curve and cost too much.
They are really still just Windows XP with fancy clothes. I signed up and beta tested Windows 7 and even I can see XP underneath. The demand is there, all MS needs to do is fill it. So instead of selling 20 million copies of Vista at $400, you sell 200 million copies of Windows Midnight.....even a marketing dept. guru should be able to see the sense of that. Word spreads on the internet too fast for even Steve Balmers antics to overcome. In todays world you can't BS even MOST of the people all of the time lol.

Windows Midnight has to shut down in under 10 seconds and cold boot in under 40 seconds, even on an AMD 3400! It must also configure local networks without the user having to know what their gateway is, what the IP of the other computers are etc. The days of needing to reformat a HD are long gone, and the only reason it is still necessary at times is because MS still has no Black Box copy of the original install.

As I am NOT an IT professional, nor do I run a home Server, I leave it to MS to extrapolate these suggestions to those OS's. Suffice it to say that if you don't wake up and smell the "demand" soon.....well I'm sure 3DFX will let you live with them. Oh......for god's sake write a Microsoft JAVA that works on all websites with all browsers. Sun Java is half malware as it is. Lastly, steal Linuxs' idea of Apt Get. Don't include all that Office, Excel, etc crap in your OS...for those that want it....they can simply download them from MS.
In short, create a complete but small fast OS, put ALL the users choices in ONE place, add a decent ZIP application and Photo application and then STOP! Leave the rest up to the consumer. These days I feel it's safe to say that there are more computers being used in the home than in the business world. It's high time MS took that into consideration.

All of this is already do-able...Dell sorta does it with their recovery partition, MS sort of does it with Virtual PC. The only thing left to do is combine them and totally isolate the Black Box version of the install...the Virtual version will show to the user as drive C: or w/e........so simple it scary......and ONLY the Virtual OS will interact with the hardware....aka....the Black box will be.....un-hack-able. You could even put the Black Box version of the install on a seperate HD or SSD that even the BIOS can only access ONCE.

Biggest waste of 5 minutes of my life reading this x.x
Gold: 2.01
May 27 2009 02:31pm
Quote (PENandPAPER @ Tue, May 26 2009, 05:09pm)
Bumping Ghot's retarded thread.!

i hate you some much...

ghot this is retarded if theres people like you at microsoft no wounder vista sucked
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev15678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll