d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > A/v Receiver For 5.1 Speaker Setup > Why Do You Even Need One If...?
Prev13456713Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 85.00
Apr 26 2017 05:07pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Apr 26 2017 04:27pm)
this is somewhat true

with decent speakers 2.0 can sound a lot better than people expect

Quote (nuvo @ Apr 26 2017 04:45pm)
good 2.0 >>> ton of shit >>> bad 5.1 >>> you

for $500 or less there is just no point in going 5.1

Tell me how 2 speakers are going to be immersive
Plz... Explain this logic
Gold: 87.00
Apr 26 2017 11:25pm
Quote (Rikuo @ 27 Apr 2017 00:06)
He wants a cheap 5.1 setup for his tv, Stop bickering & help him setup what he wants, Not what you guys think he should get. Holy fuck.

Some times less is more, and this is true with speakers. Good stereo pair will sound better than poor surround setup as in cheap speakers stereo imaging is really poor or does not exists, so you would only hear direct sounds from speakers. With good stereo pair that does stereo imaging well you will have full and rich front stage and this is the most important part for movies as most of things are happening in front of you. Good speakers can do some nice effects that give depth to the sound as well.

Good stereo pair is best starting location for budget HT setup as you will have good overall sound and front stage. When you have more money you can upgrade how ever your budget allows. It is much better to start with stereo and upgrade to 5.1/2 when budget allows than buy poor setup to start with. I started with good stereo setup as well and that already is huge upgrade from TV speakers / sound bar / cheap surround setups.

Many people think that getting any surround setup is better than good stereo pair but this is not the case, surround setup is really nice when build together well but when you have poor components it only gets to mediocre at its best. So suggesting to build it right is good advice imo.

Quote (nuvo @ 26 Apr 2017 21:57)
Btw 5.1 is really overrated most of the time. OP what are you going to use them with? Games? Movies? Music? (because there is no 5.1 music anyway)

If you have limited budget, I'd suggest starting with GOOD 2.0 setup (2.1 since you already have sub) and then, when you have some free funds again, add central and then rear. It will sound infinitely better.

Actually there is quite a lot of 5.0/5.1+ recordings out there. Ever heard of SACD or music DVD/Blu-Ray?
Apr 27 2017 06:08am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Apr 27 2017 12:25am)
Some times less is more, and this is true with speakers. Good stereo pair will sound better than poor surround setup as in cheap speakers stereo imaging is really poor or does not exists, so you would only hear direct sounds from speakers. With good stereo pair that does stereo imaging well you will have full and rich front stage and this is the most important part for movies as most of things are happening in front of you. Good speakers can do some nice effects that give depth to the sound as well.

Good stereo pair is best starting location for budget HT setup as you will have good overall sound and front stage. When you have more money you can upgrade how ever your budget allows. It is much better to start with stereo and upgrade to 5.1/2 when budget allows than buy poor setup to start with. I started with good stereo setup as well and that already is huge upgrade from TV speakers / sound bar / cheap surround setups.

Many people think that getting any surround setup is better than good stereo pair but this is not the case, surround setup is really nice when build together well but when you have poor components it only gets to mediocre at its best. So suggesting to build it right is good advice imo.

Actually there is quite a lot of 5.0/5.1+ recordings out there. Ever heard of SACD or music DVD/Blu-Ray?

typical audiophile elitism

you act like decent speakers cant be had for cheap lol
you act like noise will come out of anything else except high priced shit
you act like this is solely for music when in fact almost all blurays have 5.1 or better support

I have been dealing with 5.1 since the mid nineties actually when stereo just worked on 5.1 systems unlike now you need to adjust to certain settings
I can tell you for movies I have never found 2 speakers greater than 5 by far
how are you going to be immersed in the sound? plz tell me this logic, as for music I will not argue that because you are right on that point but people do buy 5.1 for sound they buy it for entertainment and the consoles do support 5.1 also so plz tell me how they can hear people behind them on 2 speakers?

Gold: 1,600.00
Apr 27 2017 06:12am
No one's arguing he should stick to 2.0 forever. But it's better to start with 2.0 and build up instead of buying 5.1 now, and then having to replace them all when he wants any upgrade.
Apr 27 2017 06:28am
Quote (nuvo @ Apr 27 2017 07:12am)
No one's arguing he should stick to 2.0 forever. But it's better to start with 2.0 and build up instead of buying 5.1 now, and then having to replace them all when he wants any upgrade.

no why doesnt he get 5.1 system like he wants and if he finds the need to upgrade subjective sound quality then he can do so

typical audiophile elitism and throw more money at it

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Apr 27 2017 06:31am
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Apr 27 2017 08:07am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Apr 26 2017 07:07pm)
Tell me how 2 speakers are going to be immersive
Plz... Explain this logic

Pretty easy in a small room

This post was edited by WhoBut_WBMason on Apr 27 2017 08:07am
Apr 27 2017 08:53am
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Apr 27 2017 09:07am)
Pretty easy in a small room

Not really they arent headphones with binaural sound considered
But there are some speakers that can do well

Gold: 8,221.76
Apr 27 2017 09:27am
Quote (noob_whacker @ Apr 24 2017 07:47pm)
to both, thanks for the help!

so i have a small room, not even medium sized, just a bedroom that i will be using it for

i only have the TV so far and a shitty $50 5.1 system from logitech. i dont think its true 5.1

I have a PS4 i sometimes use and i often hook my PC up to my tv to watch movies and tv shows. i never use the cable tv with coax. and i dont have a blu ray player nor will i ever need one.

not too sure on the budget or the speakers yet. i would prefer to go on the cheaper side, but it seems like the A/V receiver will cost the same as the speaker setup. i would like to probably spend under $250 for the speakers. but then the A/V receiver i would be tempted to just get used if i really need one just to save money. the speakers i would want to buy new. but i would like to save $200 bucks and not buy an AV receiver if possible

bold/underlined

i will use it for music sometimes, but i probably wont use it for music too often.

mostly for tv shows and movies. and i sometimes play the ps4

and yes i do want 5.1

even though it is a small room, i want to be able to hear certain sounds coming from all over when i am watching movies and tv shows! yes this is nice even on a budget setup and i like it better than just 2.1 for movies and tv shows

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Apr 27 2017 09:29am
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Apr 27 2017 09:30am
Quote (noob_whacker @ Apr 27 2017 11:27am)
bold/underlined

i will use it for music sometimes, but i probably wont use it for music too often.

mostly for tv shows and movies. and i sometimes play the ps4

currently i only have 2 speakers of my 5.1 set up (just finished renovating the room) and it sounds really good for what it is
Gold: 8,221.76
Apr 27 2017 09:46am
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Apr 27 2017 11:30am)
currently i only have 2 speakers of my 5.1 set up (just finished renovating the room) and it sounds really good for what it is

while i do appreciate everyones input...

i own 2x krk rokit 5 monitor speakers for my desktop and a 6.5 inch subwoofer that gets plenty loud. i always watch movies and tv shows on my tv when plugging my desktop into my tv and then i use a cheap ass 5.1 logitech setup for my tv. the logitech setup is like $50 and not true surround sound. the krk rokit 5 speakers cost like $150 each, so $300. price isnt everything, but yea the rokits are much nicer and sound much better... but... for movies and tv shows i prefer the shitty 5.1 setup just because of how the sounds are positioned

i have listened to the same movies and tv shows on my computer and tv

the logitech system is the z506. i got it from dell.com because i had a free gift card and needed to spend it on something under $100. and i got dell to price match somewhere else for like $55 or something.

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Apr 27 2017 09:49am
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev13456713Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll