d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > A/v Receiver For 5.1 Speaker Setup > Why Do You Even Need One If...?
Prev1234513Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,221.76
Apr 25 2017 12:41am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Apr 25 2017 12:38am)
With that budget soundbar would be only option, that wont be surround and will sound quite poor as well.

If you want good surround setup you will need a receiver and proper speakers. You could start with stereo pair and add more when your budget allows, as good stereo pair will sound better than soundbar/poor speaker setup. Then add centre / sub(s) and surrounds last.

Here are some good deals on receiver, you want to get either Denon/Marantz/Yamaha with features you need: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand_f[]=YAMAHA&brand_f[]=MARANTZ&brand_f[]=DENON

And these are best budget speakers available: http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html so you would want 4 of monitors and 1 centre speaker.

For budget sub you should get one or two of these: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

Edit: Speakers are like 70% of the sound you get, room acoustics / speaker placement 25% and electronics 5%. So if you want good sound you need to invest in good speakers.

ok thanks for the info. that website accessories4less seems like it has some really great prices. a pioneer 5.1 receiver for just $130

i am completely against sound bars. all sound bars that i have ever listened to have sounded really bad as far as quality goes. i feel like sound bars are almost a gimmick. then again i am sure there are some high end sound bars that do sound good.

$130 for a 5.1 pioneer receiver, VSX-524-K 5.1-ch, it should play true 5.1 sound right?
i dont need any fancy internet wireless shit. just want to be able to sufficiently power my speakers, have true 5.1 sound, and allow the receiver to provide good quality signal and sound to each speaker

i might increase my budget but the thing is my room right now is quite close to other peoples rooms and i cant blast stuff too often with people here. you suggested 1 or 2 subwoofers. 2 would be pretty cool. but just 1 is enough lol. cant blast a subwoofer too loud. the sound from a sub can be felt from a further distance and would piss off people sadly

sort of funny, my desktop setup is 2x krk rokit 5 speakers. and i just recently got a 6.5 inch subwoofer used for $40. the subwoofer is a proficient gs6. never heard of the brand until now and i dont think they sell this model anymore but it sounds pretty damn good for only a 6.5 inch

http://proficientaudio.com/products/home-theater/gs6-subwoofer

What is your opinion on tower speakers? i saw someone selling a pair of athena as f2 used for $75 together

Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Apr 25 2017 01:59am)
There are cheaper speakers

Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGQAH2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KwU.yb71RM99R

i was looking at klipsch 5.1 setups with tower speakers and their 400w sub for like $2500 lol
looks fukin amazing, just aesthetics

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Apr 25 2017 12:42am
Gold: 87.00
Apr 25 2017 02:24am
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ 25 Apr 2017 07:59)
There are cheaper speakers

Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGQAH2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KwU.yb71RM99R

They are cheaper, yes, but they wont sound even close to what those AA Monitors will. Speakers are most important part in your system and you shouldnt cheap on them, specially when AA Monitors are cheap already.

Quote (noob_whacker @ 25 Apr 2017 08:41)
ok thanks for the info. that website accessories4less seems like it has some really great prices. a pioneer 5.1 receiver for just $130

i am completely against sound bars. all sound bars that i have ever listened to have sounded really bad as far as quality goes. i feel like sound bars are almost a gimmick. then again i am sure there are some high end sound bars that do sound good.

$130 for a 5.1 pioneer receiver, VSX-524-K 5.1-ch, it should play true 5.1 sound right?
i dont need any fancy internet wireless shit. just want to be able to sufficiently power my speakers, have true 5.1 sound, and allow the receiver to provide good quality signal and sound to each speaker

i might increase my budget but the thing is my room right now is quite close to other peoples rooms and i cant blast stuff too often with people here. you suggested 1 or 2 subwoofers. 2 would be pretty cool. but just 1 is enough lol. cant blast a subwoofer too loud. the sound from a sub can be felt from a further distance and would piss off people sadly

sort of funny, my desktop setup is 2x krk rokit 5 speakers. and i just recently got a 6.5 inch subwoofer used for $40. the subwoofer is a proficient gs6. never heard of the brand until now and i dont think they sell this model anymore but it sounds pretty damn good for only a 6.5 inch

http://proficientaudio.com/products/home-theater/gs6-subwoofer

What is your opinion on tower speakers? i saw someone selling a pair of athena as f2 used for $75 together

i was looking at klipsch 5.1 setups with tower speakers and their 400w sub for like $2500 lol

I would not go for Pioneer receiver. Denon / Marantz / Yamaha has the best quality and they are more reliable. All of the receivers are true 5.1. The Pioneer will work but imo is not the best choice.

As for 1 vs 2 subs it is not for loudness as second sub only adds +3db but for more even response in your room. As wall reflections cause nulls and 2 subs can even the response and take the nulls away in your seating positions when located correctly. But one sub can get you quite far as well when located well.

Tower speakers are just fine how ever if you have a sub there is not so big benefit for going on towers. Tower speakers are generally more expensive as well and the AA Monitors I suggested can compete with speakers that cost 3 times more and up. You can get used speakers cheaper yes, but will they sound as good? If you are lucky yes.
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Apr 25 2017 08:11am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Apr 25 2017 04:24am)
They are cheaper, yes, but they wont sound even close to what those AA Monitors will. Speakers are most important part in your system and you shouldnt cheap on them, specially when AA Monitors are cheap already.

I would not go for Pioneer receiver. Denon / Marantz / Yamaha has the best quality and they are more reliable. All of the receivers are true 5.1. The Pioneer will work but imo is not the best choice.

As for 1 vs 2 subs it is not for loudness as second sub only adds +3db but for more even response in your room. As wall reflections cause nulls and 2 subs can even the response and take the nulls away in your seating positions when located correctly. But one sub can get you quite far as well when located well.

Tower speakers are just fine how ever if you have a sub there is not so big benefit for going on towers. Tower speakers are generally more expensive as well and the AA Monitors I suggested can compete with speakers that cost 3 times more and up. You can get used speakers cheaper yes, but will they sound as good? If you are lucky yes.

They are smaller.

So no they won't sound the same.

But they are cheaper and he has a small room, they would be plenty
Apr 25 2017 08:12am
Quote (noob_whacker @ Apr 25 2017 02:41am)

I have a klipsch setup that I just built, minus sub

I have the rf 15s but similar anyways
Apr 25 2017 01:10pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ 25 Apr 2017 16:11)
They are smaller.

So no they won't sound the same.

But they are cheaper and he has a small room, they would be plenty

Even if he has small room doesnt mean he should compromise sound quality. Good speakers will work in any room regardless of speaker size or room size. Klipsch speakers tend to be on bright side, specially the lower end speakers and that can be quite fatigued and many don't like that. AA Monitors are neutral and really well build speakers and are well worth the money and will be huge upgrade over those cheap Klipsch. With AA Monitors he wouldn't need to upgrade any time soon.
Apr 25 2017 01:57pm
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Apr 25 2017 03:10pm)
Even if he has small room doesnt mean he should compromise sound quality. Good speakers will work in any room regardless of speaker size or room size. Klipsch speakers tend to be on bright side, specially the lower end speakers and that can be quite fatigued and many don't like that. AA Monitors are neutral and really well build speakers and are well worth the money and will be huge upgrade over those cheap Klipsch. With AA Monitors he wouldn't need to upgrade any time soon.

i disagree
Apr 25 2017 10:11pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ 25 Apr 2017 21:57)
i disagree

You disagree with what and why? Your post doesnt make any sense.
Apr 26 2017 05:41am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Apr 26 2017 12:11am)
You disagree with what and why? Your post doesnt make any sense.

He has a budget

I gave him budget speakers
Apr 26 2017 10:31am
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ 26 Apr 2017 13:41)
He has a budget

I gave him budget speakers

You are still not making any more sense as the speakers I suggested are budget speakers as well. Like said ealier it is better to have good stereo pair than poor 5.0 setup.
Apr 26 2017 11:03am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Apr 26 2017 12:31pm)
You are still not making any more sense as the speakers I suggested are budget speakers as well. Like said ealier it is better to have good stereo pair than poor 5.0 setup.

420$ for 4 for yours

250$ for 4 for mine.

keep spewing
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev1234513Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll