d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Contemplating Scratch Build.
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 2 2012 06:15am
my first attempt at sleeving some cables.
2 sata datas i had kickin around

huh you can see the red through the black more on here than you can in real life =\

start/finish for blue one. though i don't think its a really clear picture

This post was edited by psrocks on Oct 2 2012 06:16am
Oct 9 2012 06:57pm
Update, and finally some forming pictures.

Got the desk back from buddy and he had smoothed out the edges. He also tac welded some nuts on the inside of all 3 trays. Now they can be bolted onto the backplate(not seen in these pictures)
However here is what the concept is.

Got the standoffs mounted while i was off on monday however alot of company was coming so i had to stop early. The i/o shield is where it will be however i didn't think to mark it when i had my mobo out and now my pc is back together. Going to have to get on that.

Last I've decided where the rad is going to go. Just a picture of it sitting there with corsairs on it. We have the hole marked and ready to cut however it was 8:30 and we wanted some food so done for the night.

Bought some new toys for cleaning up the inside corners and fixing the bolt holes(we didn't quite get them lined up =[ )

If someone could fix the image so i don't have to double post that'd be awesome.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn103/spitfire1992/IMG_0327.jpg

^^The die grinder in this set was 75$ by itself with no stones or anything. With the impact wrench the paint gun(which will be used to paint the desk) and all the other accessories it came to $112.86 after tax. Really happy with the purchase.
Gold: 4,595.00
Oct 9 2012 07:16pm
gonna be cool once done I bet
Nov 26 2012 10:10pm
No new pictures because i'm to lazy to do so or don't get to take pictures while working.
I havn't worked on it since last update until tonight due to having some issues.
We got a 4.5" holesaw however after 5 holes it wouldn't cut the steel anymore, and we've been through 5 more since then with no avail.
Tonight me and my dad got hte jigsaw and cut out the rest of the fan holes.
We also cut the wiring holes on the mobo tray and have figured out how we'll power all the fans.
They'll be attached to a breadboard powered by 1 4 pin molex connector. All will be running at full speed, however we tested this already its still silent(or can be hidden as room noise).
The only noise we can hear so far is the 80mm fan in my antec psu which i don't have money to upgrade unfortunately.

I also started sleeving my cables, turns out its a huge whore. I'll have to get alot of practice before i get efficient at it.
I need a 8" extension for 24 pin, a 12" extension for 8 & 6 pin, and don't really need an extension for 8 pin cpu however i'm going to make one so everything is nicely sleeved.

I figured out the loop tonight, the pump will be mounted above the rad in, and will be fed directly by the res. From the rad it will go to gpu, back behind the desk then into cpu & ram then back over to res again. Should look pretty snazzy.

Things left to do:
Cable sleeving(will take me a while).
Welding the wallmount as well as the 3 pieces for ontop the desk(one glass, one just a straight bar to mount hinges to, one to cover wiring etc. in back).
Painting.

Welding should be done thursday sleeving will be done when i get time. Hopefully over winter break.

Also i now have to build myself a mount for 3x 23" monitors thanks to black friday.
I'm intending to do something similar to this:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57530&vpn=LS23MUQHBZA&manufacture=Samsung

If anyone has any idea where to get hinges like the ones above let me know. I really like how its setup and i don't want to have to do a solid mount all the way.

This post was edited by psrocks on Nov 26 2012 10:13pm
Nov 26 2012 10:25pm
Quote (psrocks @ Nov 27 2012 12:10am)
No new pictures because i'm to lazy to do so or don't get to take pictures while working.
I havn't worked on it since last update until tonight due to having some issues.
We got a 4.5" holesaw however after 5 holes it wouldn't cut the steel anymore, and we've been through 5 more since then with no avail.
Tonight me and my dad got hte jigsaw and cut out the rest of the fan holes.
We also cut the wiring holes on the mobo tray and have figured out how we'll power all the fans.
They'll be attached to a breadboard powered by 1 4 pin molex connector. All will be running at full speed, however we tested this already its still silent(or can be hidden as room noise).
The only noise we can hear so far is the 80mm fan in my antec psu which i don't have money to upgrade unfortunately.

I also started sleeving my cables, turns out its a huge whore. I'll have to get alot of practice before i get efficient at it.
I need a 8" extension for 24 pin, a 12" extension for 8 & 6 pin, and don't really need an extension for 8 pin cpu however i'm going to make one so everything is nicely sleeved.

I figured out the loop tonight, the pump will be mounted above the rad in, and will be fed directly by the res. From the rad it will go to gpu, back behind the desk then into cpu & ram then back over to res again. Should look pretty snazzy.

Things left to do:
Cable sleeving(will take me a while).
Welding the wallmount as well as the 3 pieces for ontop the desk(one glass, one just a straight bar to mount hinges to, one to cover wiring etc. in back).
Painting.

Welding should be done thursday sleeving will be done when i get time. Hopefully over winter break.

Also i now have to build myself a mount for 3x 23" monitors thanks to black friday.
I'm intending to do something similar to this:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57530&vpn=LS23MUQHBZA&manufacture=Samsung

If anyone has any idea where to get hinges like the ones above let me know. I really like how its setup and i don't want to have to do a solid mount all the way.

Do you want the monitors to be moveable? If you can deal with stationary 45 degree angles, I have an idea for you.

This post was edited by VVR4ITH on Nov 26 2012 10:25pm
Nov 27 2012 09:13pm
First attempts at cable sleeving, 24pin done!

And some of the cool little touches that Nils from mdpc adds to his shipped products(Reily is my name):

Apologies for shit image quality and the fact that they are so big =\. Shitty iphones anyone?
Gold: 145.06
Nov 28 2012 08:36am
thats some nice mastercraft air-powered tools :P
don't get too excited about the impact gun, you are gonna have a hard time taking off your tires with it :P
Nov 28 2012 09:17am
Quote (Toilet @ Nov 28 2012 09:36am)
thats some nice mastercraft air-powered tools :P
don't get too excited about the impact gun, you are gonna have a hard time taking off your tires with it :P

meh only needed the dye grinder. It works like a charm.
We have a different impact gun alraedy but 75$ for a dye grinder or 100 for all the other crap, may as well keep em.
e/ also it took my tires off just fine on the first test run :P

This post was edited by psrocks on Nov 28 2012 09:17am
Gold: 13,003.50
Nov 28 2012 09:21am
I must say Im impressed. I love projects like this and Im a huge fan of doing anything I can myself.
My main issue with a build like this is the lack of access to the proper tools/machinery.
We have lots of useful stuff here at school like laser cutters, water jets, and CNCs but I graduate in a couple weeks and I dont have access to most of the machines. I have used a laser cutter a good bit and man are they great.
Nov 28 2012 09:26am
Quote (AXIS @ Nov 28 2012 10:21am)
I must say Im impressed. I love projects like this and Im a huge fan of doing anything I can myself.
My main issue with a build like this is the lack of access to the proper tools/machinery.
We have lots of useful stuff here at school like laser cutters, water jets, and CNCs but I graduate in a couple weeks and I dont have access to most of the machines. I have used a laser cutter a good bit and man are they great.

This has all been done with a shear(sheet metal), then someone bent it for me on their break(cost ~175$) then the rest has been done with a grinder/jigsaw and dutch ingenuity.
I almost wish i had done my homemade break rather than paying for it, as they fucked it up and now i have angle iron tacked on to fix their mistake.
But it will still look awesome when its done. Frame being welded up tomorrow night!
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll