d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Contemplating Scratch Build.
Prev12347Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 11 2012 07:25pm
Quote (psrocks @ Aug 11 2012 09:51am)
Does anyone know if you can buy fitting bundles, or if you have to buy each individual fittings?
If so mind sending me a link. I've been looking on frozen cpu ncix ekwb and ***.

Or watercooling kits anything bundled really, then i can go pick shit up seperate.

Got all my measurements figured out.

58.365x38.365 (desk body) -- 40x20 length, 8 inchsx2 added to both sides, makes desk 8inches deep. 1.365(1 & 3/16) added to outside for a fold down lip for mounting later. Will be mounting in a sq frame similar to his.

44x12 (backplate/io pannel) 40x8 with 2 inches on each side to bend over to be used as mounting

add 2 inches to measurements of sheet metal - allows for 1 inch hight after folding plate.
15.25x12.75 - mobo tray

9x12.75 - temp gauge/center plate

15.75x12.75 - res tray

Don't really need a res tray but this allows it to be uniform and allows to have led lighting underneath similar to his.
The reason I'm doing all 3 seperate is it will be easier to run cables to each section seperately than if it was 1 large piece. Not sure if that was his reasoning, but i'm sure he had similar idea in mind.

Start at 12 o'clock tomorrow night and will be only ones in shop. Hopefully have some spare time to go through scrap and find some sheets. I fucked some stuff up last week and set it asside, should be enough to get all the seperate trays and maybe even the backplate from.

Once those are constructed i can start looking at hardware again, which is the part thats going to cost money.

questions from first post

How did he make that temp display?
Theres a temp & flow readout on *** with 2 small screens similar to his for 20$. Think i'll buy this. It has a plug for the fillport on the resevoir with a sensor inside. Just have to hid the cables and show the displays.

What LED strips do you guys suggest?
Found 5 meters of rgb led can be cut every 9 leds on *** for 17$, with a 24 key ir remote to change colors.. Thought this was a good deal and if its shit product at least it was only 17$.
Found some rgb lights on frozen cpu by bitfenix but its 30$ for 30cm without a control - think i'll try *** set.

Harddrive location:

Might get a black or red ssd(samsung 830, or force 3 gt) and mount between the 2 gauges for some extra color/definition. Then i'll just make a bracket for a hdd and mount it in the back compartment next to a fan.

e/ hopefully next time i post in here i'll have some pictures.

This post was edited by psrocks on Aug 11 2012 07:29pm
Aug 17 2012 04:22pm
Figured I'd update this with what little I have.

All panels cut out so far, and cleaned/sanded. Backplate isn't pictured.
I've dropped them off at a local welding shop to get bent to shape, then the mechanic i use to work with is going to weld em up for me.
This won't happen for a while as I'll likely be on vacation before the shop has them bent, they're doing it free so its low on their priorities list and i leave next wednesday.

Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 17 2012 04:30pm
Wow your are going for it, thats awesome.
Gold: 10,499.00
Aug 17 2012 04:34pm
Quote (psrocks @ Aug 9 2012 08:09am)
Not as big a fan of that one as the original one. However if you mean use that design(res in center, hdds on right) then thanks for opinion, I'm thinking the same thing.
Mind you i'm not going to have 6 ssds and 6 hdds. Nor am i going to wc hdds.

:P i have no woodworking experience either but my halfpipe turned out awesome.
I like to take things on that are to big for me, and like i said any welding or such would be done by my neighbors or one of my dads friends, and paid off with a case of beer.
Might make some attempts myself but probably just make shit look awful  :P

Intend to measure like 8 times, cut once =\. Don't wanna have to grab more steel than necessary.
Anyone got any ideas for cutting the io panel out without a laser cutter like him? Would a plasma cutter work? i have access to one of them but this seems kind of delicate for that.
Also saw someone using  a band saw for their io pannel in a different build. Could buy one of those then return it afterwards. Only method of cutting steel at my house is grinder, and i don't want overcuts in the corners =\

if you look real close at front of that clear desk, 3 screen monster...you'll see it's also oil immersed....that's the reddish fluid with the bubbles
Sep 6 2012 02:57pm
Decided to do an update.

Finally got the desk back from welding shop. The folds looked really nice except that the lip that is suppose to go outwards, they bent inside.
I had a friend weld everything up, and we are having someone with a plasma cutter take off the folded edges. The welding shop is going to supply me with angle iron to make up for their mistake, we'll simply get them to weld it on and everything will be good as new.

Here are some pictures of the different trays bent to shape. Its not nearly as professionally done as the guy I got the idea from but its still nice.

Before cleaning up

after(still not the best but i'm a newbie)

We put the weld on the inside so its easier to clean up, the gaps in the weld will be filled when we paint eventually.
Its not hte most professional work but in my opinion it will do.

When i get the main desk part back I'll include a picture of everything set in with how its going to look. Then i've gotta start measuring and fitting stuff. Schools going to take a long time so don't expect alot of updates.

This post was edited by psrocks on Sep 6 2012 02:58pm
Sep 6 2012 06:23pm
My dad didn't like how the corners look so he decided he'd have a go at it. They turned out awesome.

Start

First round

Finish

Just gonna post this now, all my pictures are going to be on iphone and therefore will not be top quality.
Sep 18 2012 05:09pm

Sleeving arrived from mdpc.
If you wanna see *true colors* its grand bleu and black from mdpc.com
Desk went back to local weld shop, they cut off their mistake, then welded angle iron on in place. Its now at a friends he's going to fix my mistake of not accounting for the size of the steel.
2 of the inside trays are going to have 1 end cut off then rewelded on about 1/8th inch shorter.
Then I'll finally have everything back and i can start measuring.
Going to go to supply shop for some wires ends and connectors to make extensions for psu. However since i don't know how long i'll need not going to bother starting on them. Probably be another 2 weeks before another update =[

This post was edited by psrocks on Sep 18 2012 05:09pm
Sep 18 2012 05:21pm
I wanted to do this also
E: it's lookin nice

This post was edited by YourHopeAnDream on Sep 18 2012 05:21pm
Sep 30 2012 09:15am
So some stuff showed up last week getting around to posting now.

I forgot to order the res with everything else which i shipped to florida, so i just sent it straight to canada. Terrible mistake
40$ for res 20$ for shipping then 39.95 in border/customs taxes!
anyways heres the res.

Then the rest of my shopping cart showed up yestarday. Thanks to the driver who sped home apparently and made it from miami to ontario in ~16 hours(which i think is illegal since they have to stop and rest for 10?)

Anyways
Two big boxes, its like christmas already =]
Sep 30 2012 09:17am
Picture of everything all boxed up

Unboxed some of the stuff, didn't feel like pulling each individual fitting out of its packaging, got fed up after the first 6 or so.
Bitspower packages their fittings in a ziplock bag but then vaccuum seals it half way down eliminating the need for a ziplock....

Performance pcs kinda screwed up and sent me an mcp 655-b rather than the mcp 655 that i ordered. The difference is that it doesn't have the speed controller which i guess is fine. I hope its not incredibly loud.

Barb fittings won't be seen, Only compressions will be used in visible places. I figured 3$ for a barb or 8 for a compression i can stand to save the money.

This post was edited by psrocks on Sep 30 2012 09:18am
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev12347Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll