d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Does Guitar Brand Matter?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,073.03
Nov 20 2016 01:25am
I am planning on getting one and trying to use Rocksmith with it.

Amazon seems to have a ton. They have acoustics for as low as $30 and electrics as low at 70-80

Does it matter if it's a known brand? I mean it's a base + some metal strings. I can't see how much better some can be compared to others.

Gold: 3,000.00
Warn: 40%
Nov 20 2016 09:33am
Quote (JVMorrow @ Nov 20 2016 05:25pm)
I am planning on getting one and trying to use Rocksmith with it.

Amazon seems to have a ton. They have acoustics for as low as $30 and electrics as low at 70-80

Does it matter if it's a known brand? I mean it's a base + some metal strings. I can't see how much better some can be compared to others.

Brand matters little, in fact some brands are completely overpriced for what they are and sell simply due to their name (like most things).

But you would be extremely surprised. A cheap guitar is going to sound - well... cheap. Materials used is what denotes a guitars sound. It's not just any old wood and strings lol. The body and fretboard make up will give you different tones and noises.

If you can find an electric guitar for $80 that sounds as good as my telecaster I'll buy it for you. Or an acoustic for $30 that sounds as good as my Taylor. I bet you won't :)

If it's just for Rocksmith (im not too familiar with the game) and not actually playing properly for either yourself or an audience. Then I doubt what it sounds like really matters at all, and you could just cheap out and get whatever. Although you will probably want something that's easy to play (nice neck shape, low action, etc.)
Gold: 126.00
Nov 26 2016 11:45pm
I'd recommend spending the extra $ and buy a guitar geared for the type of music you like to play.

My first guitar was the ESP M-50 because I wanted to be kirk hammett.. LoL

I also picked up Epiphone SG

both guitars were $250 each before tax.

Gold: 1,326.00
Dec 13 2016 09:02pm
Go for an epiphone les Paul special 2 or and sg special. They're like 100-200 dollars and will serve as a decent beginners guitar as you progress
Gold: 13,024.66
Dec 26 2016 10:44am
Been playing metal for ~8 years now. I agree that brand doesn't matter a whole lot. What matters is the feel of the neck and how the body presses against you. All about the feel. I've always played Schector, but they are a bit pricy for a beginner. Tone, pickups, and string material won't matter for rocksmith, so you can buy the bottom line and be fine.

Honestly 90% of low end guitars have the same scale and fret size as each other. Epiphone is decent. I wouldn't buy new though. Get a used one off Craigslist or second hand music store. It's more bang for your buck and you can resell it for roughly the same price if you take care of it. Drop ~$100-150 for a used LTD, ESP, or BC Rich (if you like the look) and you can sell it for $75-125 when you upgrade.

I also recommend a string winder crank thingy (Technical terminology) to tighten strings faster, like $3 and really nice to have.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll