d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Beginner Guitar Tips > Much Appreciated
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 93.00
Apr 3 2015 03:31pm
Hey all, so I picked up an acoustic at a local pawn shop the other day in hopes to finally teach myself guitar. I have some friends who will help along the way, but was hoping some of you here may have some tips to throw out there.

I've begun doing some basic dexterity exercises, just trying to build that mind/muscle connection so to speak, and also just generally trying to toughen my finger tips up a bit.

But something I've already noticed is my fingers are rather large, and have trouble keeping them from pressing on other strings, and my fingers are also pretty inflexible as well (I can't play the A chord at all, middle and ring finger both have trouble staying in the same fret, let alone able to press down on the strings as well lol).

Anyway, if you've read this, anything you guys can offer is greatly appreciated!
Gold: 1.70
May 11 2015 06:16am
Just pick out your favourite songs, learn them chords (ultimate guitar) and mess around with them. Play for lets say an hour a day. I personally would play for 3-4 hours without noticing time pass. It builds up the strength on your fingertips the best. And without knowing youll be abled to switch from chord to chord smoothly etc. Best practise imo :)
Gold: 0.00
May 29 2015 09:19am
One thing which I would recommend is the "caterpillar exercise" basically playing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th fret of the low E string (one at the top) then moving up to the next string, all the way up every string and back. Be sure to use all 4 of your fingers, (index for 1st fret, middle finger for 2nd, ring for 3rd, pinkie for 4th) it may feel strange, especially using the pinkie, but this kind of exercise is essential for building dexterity and getting used to using your pinkie finger.
As with everything you learn on guitar, start slow, make sure every note you play is clear, if you play a note and it doesn't sound clear then you need to keep working at that tempo until it's clear, then continue speeding up.

As for learning the chords, play the chord once, take your fingers off and shake your hand about briefly, and then play it again as quickly as possible while being sure that the notes are clear. Again, start slow and build up speed. Just focus on doing this for one chord (A chord for example, like you said you were struggling with) then when you can do it smoothly try doing two chords and shaking your hand about.

Calluses will form on your fingertips and make them harder so you can play more comfortably.

The main thing is, all this stuff is super boring, but if you try hard enough you'll get through it quickly. Learning guitar is the least fun part of the process, the fun comes later as a reward for your practicing :)

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you would like any more tips on a specific (or general) level
Jun 15 2015 12:32am
Quote (AaaronxD @ 11 May 2015 12:16)
Just pick out your favourite songs, learn them chords (ultimate guitar) and mess around with them. Play for lets say an hour a day. I personally would play for 3-4 hours without noticing time pass. It builds up the strength on your fingertips the best. And without knowing youll be abled to switch from chord to chord smoothly etc. Best practise imo :)

This if you wanna play rythm and acoustic songs. Frontman/guitarist.

Quote (GuitarMarshy @ 29 May 2015 15:19)
One thing which I would recommend is the "caterpillar exercise" basically playing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th fret of the low E string (one at the top) then moving up to the next string, all the way up every string and back. Be sure to use all 4 of your fingers, (index for 1st fret, middle finger for 2nd, ring for 3rd, pinkie for 4th) it may feel strange, especially using the pinkie, but this kind of exercise is essential for building dexterity and getting used to using your pinkie finger.
As with everything you learn on guitar, start slow, make sure every note you play is clear, if you play a note and it doesn't sound clear then you need to keep working at that tempo until it's clear, then continue speeding up.

As for learning the chords, play the chord once, take your fingers off and shake your hand about briefly, and then play it again as quickly as possible while being sure that the notes are clear. Again, start slow and build up speed. Just focus on doing this for one chord (A chord for example, like you said you were struggling with) then when you can do it smoothly try doing two chords and shaking your hand about.

Calluses will form on your fingertips and make them harder so you can play more comfortably.

The main thing is, all this stuff is super boring, but if you try hard enough you'll get through it quickly. Learning guitar is the least fun part of the process, the fun comes later as a reward for your practicing :)

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you would like any more tips on a specific (or general) level

This if you wanna play lead/metal/hard rock/jazz/anything that isn't campfire songs
Jun 16 2015 04:22pm
to keep yourself interested, i would learn all the basic open chords first, while working on bar chords as well. between that and some hammerons you can play pretty much any singsongy type stuff, and its not something that you forget. if you ever end up taking a month or more off from playing guitar either because you're busy or because you're frustrated - alot will disappear until you "relearn" it. Open chords and bar chords are so well ingrained though, and easy to play that you wont forget them, and id suggest really knocking them out first. as far as dexterity goes, the catapillar things he talked about are fine i guess, but if you're going to bore yourself like that, you may as well play scales, if for no other reason than to help your ears and get down some of the patterns.

you should learn the nashville number system or whatever its called, some basic music theory etc etc, 1 4 5 1 etc etc, once you bang that out in every key, easy songs become alot easier.
Gold: 761.37
Jun 29 2015 05:57am
Quote (GuitarMarshy @ May 29 2015 07:19am)

this.

I made the mistake of learning to play without using my pinky or a pick.

I think its much better to just develop good habits right away instead of having to break bad habits later on.

It took me a long time to get over those habits.

Also if you are interested in singing as well, id say its the same deal. practice when you are first starting because later on its difficult, in my opinion anyway.

This post was edited by Bloop on Jun 29 2015 05:59am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll