d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Learning Acoustic Guitar On Youtube
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 21 2015 02:45pm
Anyone done this before, who were you watching?
Gold: 1,176.28
Jan 23 2015 02:34pm
marty shwartz has great lessons for cover songs. Hundreds of videos too I bet.
matt smith gives the best slide guitar lesson on youtube
my morning show has improv tips, chord of the day, and studio tips, daily (good morning rooster) channel: GoodMorningRooster
jerry's guitar bar is the best for travis picking
Gold: 269.00
Mar 7 2015 06:23pm
I like Marty. He has put out many many videos between the few channels he has. I would suggest not only trying to follow "cover lessons" though. They are great and all, just don't forget the other lessons that are out there. Lots of freestyle stuff that teach you fundamentals so that you can learn to play/write your own riffs.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 17 2015 02:39pm
Justin guitar
Gold: 1,176.28
Mar 18 2015 10:33pm
I think what you want is a good list of things to search, more than individual teachers. I suggest this, and in this order doesn't hurt.

* Major scale on guitar
* How to play guitar with a backing track or "improv". Also called jam tracks.
* Music Intervals lesson (most of this will fly over your head but you will still gain a valuable footstep in starting to understand this)
* music how chords are constructed
* what is a key signature
* what chords are in what key(most of this will fly over your head but you will still gain a valuable footstep in starting to understand this)
* minor scale on guitar
* fun easy chord progression on guitar

that's it for the basics. Do that and you can join most bands. Moving on into being truly knowlegeable:

* how to draw a circle of fifths. Use this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmqZH7nEqvs
* how to read the circle of fifths
* what is an arpeggio, or chord tones
* finger picking patterns for guitar (nobody ever has enough of these)
* strumming patterns for guitar (nobody ever has enough of these)
* music intervals lesson
* how to read sheet music
* harmonic minor scale on guitar
* how to harmonize a scale

Thats it for the advanced stuff. Moving on into the realm of being a music teacher:

* enroll in college class for "harmony". You can't take it without some big prerequisites. First they make you take and pass an intro to music course. Then theory 1, 2, ... , then you get to be eligible to take harmony. Best not smoke pot that month, its intense.
* go to your local guitar store and tell them passionately that you are worthy and deserve a shot as a teacher. If they say no, come back over and over again with nothing but happiness, sticktoativeness, and determination to get a chance to audition. Nothing taught me more about guitar than teaching it. I swear I learned in 5 years teaching what 3 life times of playing alone or with bands is.

hope this helps. good luck!

This post was edited by thefriarmichael on Mar 18 2015 10:38pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll