d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Electric Keyboard
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.69
Nov 30 2014 08:21pm
I want to learn how to play the piano and the closest thing I can afford to a piano is an electric keyboard

I have no knowledge on'em at all. I've never played it but I've been wanting to learn how to for years

I don't know what to buy. What's a good electric keyboard to begin working my way up to masterness?

Please suggest!

This post was edited by Katmunk on Nov 30 2014 08:21pm
Gold: 3,804.50
Nov 30 2014 09:31pm
someone made a similar topic a few months ago, but wasnt very helpful :/

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=71451169&f=187

Quote (Burzum @ Sep 23 2014 02:37pm)
Anything with 88 keys I'd assume? Honestly just make sure you have a good theory book by your side so you can study.

dunno if it helps, but this came up on google

https://www.hoffmanacademy.com/blog/choosing-a-piano-or-keyboard-for-the-beginning-student/

Electronic Keyboards
If you’re not ready to spend a few thousand dollars on an instrument, your beginning student can get a great start with an electronic keyboard or “digital piano”. Electronic keyboards come in many sizes and prices. For a new piano student, the most important factors will be the number of keys and whether or not the keys are weighted.

Learning on a keyboard with 88 weighted keys gives a student a big advantage. The weighted keys build hand strength and respond more like the keys of an acoustic piano, making it easier for an advancing student to move on. Our top pick for beginning students in the electronic keyboard category is the Casio Privia PX-150, which has great key action and the same size keyboard, 88 keys, as an acoustic piano. These and other similar keyboards cost around $700.

If a keyboard with 88 weighted keys is still out of your price range, we recommend that students use a keyboard with at least 61 keys in order to be able to do all the exercises in our lessons. Good quality, basic keyboards with 61 keys, such as the Yamaha PSR and the Casio CTK
, will cost between $100 – $200.

Whether you buy a keyboard with weighted keys or not, it’s best to go with a trusted brand such as Casio, Yamaha, Kawai, or Roland.  When buying an electronic keyboard make sure to also purchase a bench and a stand. A keyboard set on a table will probably not be at the correct height for a young student seated in a chair. Ideally, the keyboard and bench should be set at the right height so that the player’s arm from wrist to elbow is parallel to the floor.

There are certain advantages to having an electronic keyboard over an acoustic piano, such as the ability to plug in headphones so that a child can practice without disturbing anyone. Electronic keyboards can also be connected to a computer with a midi cable and used with all kinds of educational and music production software. They’re more portable, and, unlike acoustic pianos, electronic keyboards never need to be tuned.

If a beginning student has access to a quality acoustic piano, they will have the opportunity to develop more nuanced musicianship from the first. But students can also get a great start with at an electronic keyboard and move on to an acoustic piano at a later time.

This post was edited by carteblanche on Nov 30 2014 09:32pm
Gold: 500.69
Dec 1 2014 04:33am
Anything better than nothing

Thank you
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll