d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Buying A New Guitar
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.37
Nov 19 2014 10:12pm
I played guitar when I was younger on a squire. I was never really that great but I feel the urge to play again.

I'm looking at guitars under $200 and cant decide between these models:

Jackson JS22 Dinky DKA
Ibanez GRG120BDX
Ibanez GRX20
Ibanez Gio GRG150

this is for metal music
Gold: 36.00
Nov 20 2014 12:15pm
Look on craigslist for your area and find a used Fender Standard stratocaster (made in mexico). Alder body, maple neck. Solid tuning machine heads and decent electronics as well as they are very easy to customize in the future. I've been working at Guitar Center for years and I recommend it a lot as a beginner to intermediate guitar.
Nov 20 2014 02:21pm
Quote (Automatica @ Nov 20 2014 06:15pm)
Look on craigslist for your area and find a used Fender Standard stratocaster (made in mexico).  Alder body, maple neck. Solid tuning machine heads and decent electronics as well as they are very easy to customize in the future.  I've been working at Guitar Center for years and I recommend it a lot as a beginner to intermediate guitar.

Nothing good in my area, just a bunch of squires.

I found an rg450m ibanez for $200 in complete mint condition in the town next to me. I'm going to see it tomorrow with cash on hand.
Gold: 454.00
Nov 20 2014 02:27pm
If you want to up your price range about 50-100 more bucks you can actually get a nice squier. They are not as bad as they use to be if you stay away from the strat style.

I recommend finding a Jaguar if you can get one. Otherwise, save up and buy a nice fender. I love my Duo Sonic and Mustang.

What kinda of music do you want to play?
Nov 20 2014 02:41pm
Also dude watch out for guitars with Locking tremolos. Floating trems are found on a lot of ibanez guitars and unless you are good at setting it up its going to be a huge hassle
. Also HookedOnLSD made a good point with the higher end squires. The vintage modified and classic vibe series squires are actually very nice guitars for the money, they are so nice that fender decided to release a made in china model series out of one of the squire factories called the "Moder Player" series. All great specced guitars for the money.
Nov 20 2014 03:00pm
$200 is my max price. I had a squire for my previous guitar and although it served me well, I would like to try something else.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg450m-electric-guitar

That's the link for the new guitar. It says stud lock tremolo.

Though, when I look at the picture the guy sent me, it doesn't look like the bar is actually on, he probably has it though.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Nov 20 2014 03:01pm
Nov 20 2014 03:41pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Nov 20 2014 02:00pm)
$200 is my max price.  I had a squire for my previous guitar and although it served me well, I would like to try something else.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg450m-electric-guitar

That's the link for the new guitar.  It says stud lock tremolo.

Though, when I look at the picture the guy sent me, it doesn't look like the bar is actually on, he probably has it though.

That has a double locking tremolo dude. I am just saying as a guy who sells guitars for a living, teaches lessons and has been playing for 20 years that you are going to have problems with the bridge. That type of bridge is really only practical for someone doing divebombs and whammy bar tricks and even then it's a pain in the ass. The bridge is full floating so that means just tuning the guitar wrong can set the balance off on the bridge leading to the intonation and string heighth going off. It takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour just to tune one properly (getting the bridge balanced and level as well as the pitch correct). If you are dead set on it make sure you have all the allen wrenches and screwdrivers needed to full disassemble the stuff and put it back together and make sure to watch lots of youtube videos.

IMHO find a string thru or hard tail bridge style guitar.
Gold: 454.00
Nov 20 2014 04:39pm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-cyclone-electric-guitar/h77032

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-hh-electric-guitar/h69850000002000

I am unsure if cyber monday will have legit deals, but I would suggest these for under $200 bucks, new, and can be easily modified later if you want to. I play on a fender duo sonic from doom, thrash, to grunge on my fenders and they are the best tone guitars out there if you ask me. That jackson is a bit much for someone who doesnt know or play a whole lot in my opinion. Just stick with the basic quality guitar. There is a million pick up combos you can get to fit whatever you play. In all honesty, hit up a guitar store and see what feels comfortable to you, thats the main thing.

Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll