d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Favorite Brand Of Musical Instrument
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,153.69
Sep 16 2014 02:16am
Curious to see what peoples favorite brands are.
It can be any kind of musical instrument- just because I don't play that instrument doesn't mean someone else may play it that will post.

My list:
Money is rought estimate and for my local pricing- yours may be higher/lower.

Acoustic drums-
Whitney drums- ($2,000) just shells
Pork Pie- ($900) just shells

Information about them-
Whitney isn't very well known but I played them at a show once and have loved them ever since.
(http://www.whitneydrums.com/home.php)
Pork pie has a very great jazz sound to it without it being too overbearing if you play any other genre.

Electric Drums-
Yahama DTX -($2,000)
Roland- ($500 for the average set, go down to 350 or so though)

Info-
Yahama DTX has a great feel to it, I love that the hi-hat's move when I actually push on the pedal. It has really great sounds to it as well, best I've owned by far.
Roland is a great starter kit for anyone though I suggest acoustic if you are just starting, they are inexpensive and don't wear out too horribly.

Guitars-
Stratocaster(American made or vintage preferred)- ($1,200)
Gibson- ($300 would get you a pretty nice one though I have seen them at 150 for decent ones)

Info-
Stratocaster, such an amazing sound, doesn't go too high or too low and sound great clean. Good for any genre which is what I love.
Gibson- good for the expensive side, the only thing I dislike is sometime some aren't that great and they are often heavy.

Bass Guitar-
Rickenbacker- (vintage preferred) ($1,500-$2,000)
Not sure on the end for this, I had a nice one but don't recall the brand.

Info-
Rickenbacker has such a great sound, often bass tends to just sound almost too deep and muffled and you can't hear the notes played clearly- I never have that problem when playing this.

Amplifiers-
Ampeg (Vintage preferred)- (750 for cabinet- 1,250 for head is about what you'd expect for a great one, you could probably get both for 900 if you went lower)
Leslie (Vintage here as well)- ($2,000 or so)

Info-
Ampeg has amazing sounds and the vintage ones tend to be worth even the fix when they mess up but they last a long time
Leslie- Used by The Beatles, great sound, originally for piano I believe, distortion is a mechanism that turns around inside of it. such a great sound
You can never go wrong with a classic- Sun/Fender either.

Just seeing who likes what out there to see if I can't explore in buying more things at a decent price.

This post was edited by OliverCloseov on Sep 16 2014 02:36am
Gold: 0.00
Sep 22 2014 01:36pm
im a guitar guy who is used to fenders but i always liked Guild,Maton,Ortega, and Breedlove

Drums idk as long as it isnt First Act lol

Piano would have to be Harpsichords
Sep 22 2014 06:45pm
Guitars:

Lot's of good brands out there like Gibson, Schecter, Fender (personally not a fan), but my favorite would have to be Ibanez, specifically the RG series because they are just such a good versatile guitar able to play about anything.
Gold: 8,860.00
Sep 23 2014 05:05am
Warn: 10%
Sep 23 2014 12:22pm
Quote (OliverCloseov @ Sep 16 2014 09:16am)
Curious to see what peoples favorite brands are.
It can be any kind of musical instrument- just because I don't play that instrument doesn't mean someone else may play it that will post.

My list:
Money is rought estimate and for my local pricing- yours may be higher/lower.

Acoustic drums-
Whitney drums- ($2,000) just shells
Pork Pie- ($900) just shells

Information about them-
Whitney isn't very well known but I played them at a show once and have loved them ever since.
(http://www.whitneydrums.com/home.php)
Pork pie has a very great jazz sound to it without it being too overbearing if you play any other genre.

Electric Drums-
Yahama DTX -($2,000)
Roland- ($500 for the average set, go down to 350 or so though)

Info-
Yahama DTX has a great feel to it, I love that the hi-hat's move when I actually push on the pedal. It has really great sounds to it as well, best I've owned by far.
Roland is a great starter kit for anyone though I suggest acoustic if you are just starting, they are inexpensive and don't wear out too horribly.

Guitars-
Stratocaster(American made or vintage preferred)- ($1,200)
Gibson- ($300 would get you a pretty nice one though I have seen them at 150 for decent ones)

Info-
Stratocaster, such an amazing sound, doesn't go too high or too low and sound great clean. Good for any genre which is what I love.
Gibson- good for the expensive side, the only thing I dislike is sometime some aren't that great and they are often heavy.

Bass Guitar-
Rickenbacker- (vintage preferred) ($1,500-$2,000)
Not sure on the end for this, I had a nice one but don't recall the brand.

Info-
Rickenbacker has such a great sound, often bass tends to just sound almost too deep and muffled and you can't hear the notes played clearly- I never have that problem when playing this.

Amplifiers-
Ampeg (Vintage preferred)- (750 for cabinet- 1,250 for head is about what you'd expect for a great one, you could probably get both for 900 if you went lower)
Leslie (Vintage here as well)- ($2,000 or so)

Info-
Ampeg has amazing sounds and the vintage ones tend to be worth even the fix when they mess up but they last a long time
Leslie- Used by The Beatles, great sound, originally for piano I believe, distortion is a mechanism that turns around inside of it. such a great sound
You can never go wrong with a classic- Sun/Fender either.

Just seeing who likes what out there to see if I can't explore in buying more things at a decent price.

yeah
Sep 26 2014 05:36am
Quote (EvO-Endo @ Sep 22 2014 02:36pm)
im a guitar guy who is used to fenders but i always liked Guild,Maton,Ortega, and Breedlove

Drums idk as long as it isnt First Act lol

Piano would have to be Harpsichords

Yeah first act blows as well as Excel does.

Good choices, I actually knew some of those already, I'll check them out.

Quote (zell1luk @ Sep 22 2014 07:45pm)
Guitars:

Lot's of good brands out there like Gibson, Schecter, Fender (personally not a fan), but my favorite would have to be Ibanez, specifically the RG series because they are just such a good versatile guitar able to play about anything.

Yeah, I actually had an ibanez a while ago but it would never quit falling out of tune so I never gave them another shot.
I'll look up the rg series then, give it another go.

Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Sep 23 2014 06:05am)
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/2c/2cb230bf864ab3bfc4b189d8c2f6cf7b7e446c3d8aefd3f3e487c585713ffece.jpg

No on can compete with Jimmy Page.
It's Led Zeppelin. :lol:
I've listened to them since I was young and always loved them.
Gold: 13,030.00
Sep 27 2014 02:48pm
I got a Tama drums, it works really nice, wouldn't change it for anything ^_^
As cymbales : Sabian (B8 pro exactly), fair price, fair quality
As micro : shure, same as above !

http://i.imgur.com/aVKJnNf.jpg

This post was edited by DarkTigger on Sep 27 2014 02:48pm
Gold: 0.20
Sep 28 2014 08:06am
Guitar: Schecter Hellrasier hybrid 8
Amp: Peavey 5150 or 6505

Bass: Fender Jazz Deluxe V American.
Amp: Ampeg SVT

This post was edited by Unanswered on Sep 28 2014 08:06am
Oct 1 2014 01:00am
Quote (OliverCloseov @ Sep 26 2014 06:36am)
Yeah first act blows as well as Excel does.

Good choices, I actually knew some of those already, I'll check them out.

Yeah, I actually had an ibanez a while ago but it would never quit falling out of tune so I never gave them another shot.
I'll look up the rg series then, give it another go.

No on can compete with Jimmy Page.
It's Led Zeppelin. :lol:
I've listened to them since I was young and always loved them.

That's weird. I don't know what model or bridge type you had but my hardtail never comes out of tune. I mean, I have to tune it more to change strings than because it falls out of tune. But then again I don't do a lot of soloing with deep string bends.
Oct 3 2014 09:32am
Quote (DarkTigger @ Sep 27 2014 03:48pm)
I got a Tama drums, it works really nice, wouldn't change it for anything ^_^
As cymbales : Sabian (B8 pro exactly), fair price, fair quality
As micro : shure, same as above !

http://i.imgur.com/aVKJnNf.jpg

I always liked K-customs or A-customs by Zildjian but you are right about Sabian's, they have a great sound- I'd say better than Zildjian in rock sense but all around I prefer zildjian.
Shure is great microphones. ._. I forgot mic's and cymbals. derppp.

Quote (Unanswered @ Sep 28 2014 09:06am)
Guitar: Schecter Hellrasier hybrid 8
Amp: Peavey 5150 or 6505

Bass: Fender Jazz  Deluxe V American.
Amp: Ampeg SVT

Peavey's are great amp's, my old one lasted forever and took a lot of abuse.
I'll check out the guitar.
I have played that exact guitar or one with a similar name but I'll still be sure to look it up and everything.

Quote (zell1luk @ Oct 1 2014 02:00am)
That's weird. I don't know what model or bridge type you had but my hardtail never comes out of tune. I mean, I have to tune it more to change strings than because it falls out of tune. But then again I don't do a lot of soloing with deep string bends.

It was my first guitar, I think it was like one of the more lower-end ones.
I bought it from a buddy which I believe got it from a pawn shop- so it's probably why it was like that.
The person beforehand probably didn't take care of it but I only paid like 20 bucks for it and sold it for that so I don't lose any money on it.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll