d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Whatcha Think?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.11
Jul 13 2014 10:16am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E3i5CpyI_c

The sounds aren't the best, it's cheesy synth strings and the piano EQ could've been tweaked better, but I'm gonna remake it with drums and bass this fall I guess so I just uploaded it to get some constructive criticism. What you think?
Gold: 1,126.28
Jul 14 2014 02:03pm
I like the piano composition a lot. You really finesse the movement between chords well. I like how it evolves multiple times. Goes into power mode, then charlie brown mode, and resolves back to the snowfall it started in. Beautiful.

I suggest:
Don't add drums. It's a great solo piece.
Also, for a better piano sound, play this song on a real piano, preferably a large one. And mic the piano. Preferably with 3 different mics, dual condenser, run through a mixer. I paid 300 for 3 mics like this and the mixer ran me another 100. You can go with cheaper ones but it won't be perfect sound. Cheapest way it to hire someone who has the gear already to record you. Find a church with a nice piano that they will let you record sitting at. Churches are good because they are quiet on weekdays and this type of mic requires silence.

You can find a guy like this easy on craigslist. And insist on it being a real piano. They won't charge you more than 100 per hour. If you can play it well in one take, you can get it all done for 100. I personally would take the job if someone offered me 30 bucks! lol.
Gold: 1,126.28
Jul 14 2014 02:06pm
Oh and btw. It's a little under handed. But most churches will let you do this if you attend their service a couple of weeks in advance :)
Gold: 0.11
Jul 16 2014 12:05pm
Quote (thefriarmichael @ Jul 14 2014 09:03pm)
I like the piano composition a lot. You really finesse the movement between chords well. I like how it evolves multiple times. Goes into power mode, then charlie brown mode, and resolves back to the snowfall it started in. Beautiful.

I suggest:
Don't add drums. It's a great solo piece.
Also, for a better piano sound, play this song on a real piano, preferably a large one. And mic the piano. Preferably with 3 different mics, dual condenser, run through a mixer. I paid 300 for 3 mics like this and the mixer ran me another 100. You can go with cheaper ones but it won't be perfect sound. Cheapest way it to hire someone who has the gear already to record you. Find a church with a nice piano that they will let you record sitting at. Churches are good because they are quiet on weekdays and this type of mic requires silence.

You can find a guy like this easy on craigslist. And insist on it being a real piano. They won't charge you more than 100 per hour. If you can play it well in one take, you can get it all done for 100. I personally would take the job if someone offered me 30 bucks! lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try recording one with bass and drums and one as a solo piece then, see which one I like the best. :) I can't do that where I live, I live in a small place in norway at the moment, but I'll be going to university in a month where they have like 100 grand pianos so I'll work it out form there.

Thanks!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll