d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Any Singers? > Recommendation For A Microphone
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
Jun 28 2014 12:46am
Thinking of uploading a few singing / guitar vids on the ol' youtube, looking to buy a good microphone, any recommendations?

Not really sure on the criteria to which you would buy a microphone on. Like for example does it matter that im a tenor?
Gold: 1,176.28
Jul 18 2014 11:33pm
Depends on 2 main factors.

1) your recording environment

2) budget

For 70-$120 you can get a decent studio mic. But these (dual condenser) mics are horrible at handling any background noise at all. Even echos mess with it. But mostly things like road traffic, airplanes, noisy neighbors and the such are the culprits to ruining this kind of recording.

For a little less money you can get a stage mic. These more robust mics (dynamic) can take a hit much better and survive. And handle background noise much better. Downside is that the sound quality in comparison is much worse. And the volume you have to sing into them must be a little louder. They just don't pick up every little whisper like condenser mics do.

Hope this helps you in your descision :) GL
Jul 18 2014 11:39pm
Btw, many amps with a mic input jack only work with dynamic mics. Not true studio mics. That is because the studio mics almost always need phantom power. Power supply provided by the powered mixer, or a PA system. So don't just think because your guitar amp has a mic input jack that a studio mic will work in it. Though, I do recommend that type of mic if your environment is quiet. Phantom power can be bought, in an extra unit. Some of them can be found online for as little as $40. But I suggest getting a small used PA system and read up on how to use it. For example you don't turn it on without the speakers connected. And you use equipment cords, not guitar cords to connect the speakers. Otherwise you mess up your pa.

The cheap and easy route. Get a $40 dynamic stage mic and plug it right into your amp if it has that type of jack. This setup wont sound horrible, just not as good. And works right out of the box for a novice in most cases. Can always take pictures of your gear, write stuff down, take it to the guitar store and ask their opinion.
Gold: 13.37
Jul 22 2014 03:17am
Shure sm58 is a bargain for its price and many people choose it over more expensive mics and have done so for quite a long time.. Also they seem to be really durable and last for ages, so you can get it used. Cant really go wrong with that, unless ofc its something that your other equipment doesent support. If you are interested on the sound quality, you should get a external audio interface anyways(with phantom power for the mic), if you just want a mic that you can plug in USB port and rest of the factors arent that important, then just look what you can afford with your budget and do a google search for some reviews, so that you dont buy the shittiest one.

This post was edited by Antichrist- on Jul 22 2014 03:18am
Gold: 3.33
Jul 27 2014 08:57pm
My amp sucks, and my room is quiet. Reckon ill go for the more expensive studio mic. I dont really wanna play live at the moment, and I'd like to experiment with my voice, so it looks like a good choice. Ill look up the Shure sm58 too, might be decent as a first mic. Thanks for suggestions
Jul 27 2014 11:10pm
I bought a CAD dual condensor mic and it has worked magnificently.

$129.00 if you get just the one mic. It's often seen bundled with 2 other mics.

To provide the phantom power, I use a small PA. It was intended for people that travel around to bars putting on karaoke shows.

bought is used for $200. It didn't have much bass though so I also hooked up a stereo receiver to it, and have more speakers connected to that receiver.

Jul 27 2014 11:14pm
the switch on the front of the mic dictates what direction it hears sound from.

O is every direction.

the sideways 8 symbol is diaphram and is for doing duets. records front and back only. Front is what you see facing you in that picture.

And the last symbol, on right is cardiod. It is front only. So you don't sing into this type of mic like a stage mic, with it pointing at you.

And use a screen/popfilter/mesh thing.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll