d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Question About Electric Drum Kits
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,752.69
May 9 2014 12:27pm
I have used acoustic all my life so I only know the basics of electric drum kits.
I can't own an acoustic anymore due to living an apartment,
my neighbors may enjoy what I play but not at the volume I would.

Anyways, I don't want to spend too much since I'm still in college and have work that needs done to my car.

I have a few questions, any help would be appreciated.
  • Best site/place to get them. (I've checked local places, some are decent but not what I want)
  • Can you use just an electric snare without the whole kit?
    I used to enjoy sometimes just learning some snare tricks so it'd be great if I could buy a snare separate or be able to know a way to just use the snare while I'm sitting in my room or something for fun.
    (I've also always been told by great drummers to limit yourself to be able to learn more and when you allow yourself back to the full kit, a lot opens up.)
  • Recommended brands. (I know of the normal ones from acoustic but electric is different. Yamaha is what I like electric but it's up there in price.)
Thanks in advance. :hug:

This post was edited by OliverCloseov on May 9 2014 12:27pm
Gold: 6,729.00
May 19 2014 08:38am
(the auction website I cant say for some reason) is a pretty good place for them imo, I got my alesis usb set for 455 shipped brand new. There are good prices for Buy it now and also good prices on the auction ones that include free shipping.

You can use just a snare, all you'll need is the pad and some kind of drum module (the device that turns the triggered hit into a drum sound)

As far as brands go, they all have their good ones and meh ones, just depends on the price. I'd personally recommend an Alesis, mine was under 500 and performs as good as any high end roland. Whatever you decide, I'd definitely recommend getting one that has usb midi out built into the module. I'm sure all the newer ones have it but just saying in case you were thinking of getting a used kit. Midi out is important because a lot of the modules with built in sounds are kind of limited. With usb midi out, you can connect your set to a computer and use a vst program such as Ezdrummer for better sounding drums, also makes recording a breeze and sound great.

If you have any questions just pm me, and enjoy.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll