d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Beginner Question About Guitar Tabs
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Feb 10 2014 07:13am
Sorry If I'm ignorant, but I have no musical friends so this is a good place for me to ask. I tried to google but I didn't find anything.

So I'm trying to learn the tabs below but I have a few questions about how it's set out. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that the lines are obviously the strings, top one being high e, all the way through to low e. I believe the numbers are the fret that you're meant to play that string on.

I don't really understand why the chords are listed though. As far as I can see it seems redundant to list them, I mean you already know what fret you're playing and which string you're hitting. I have a guess that they're listed for the positioning of fingers to make playing the song easier so you can hit the strings in time etc?

Or is there a actual reason why he lists them? Thanks in advance for your patience :)

Gold: Locked
Feb 10 2014 08:38am
Actually I guess I'm wrong about the numbers being the frets because he plays the first '4' on the first fret. I'm going to start reading a lot about musical theory now. If people could still add some input I would be grateful though :)

Another edit, it appears those '4's are '1's so maybe they are. Well derp.

This post was edited by notVita on Feb 10 2014 08:41am
Gold: 65,703.00
Feb 10 2014 08:49am
Quote (notVita @ Feb 10 2014 02:13pm)
Sorry If I'm ignorant, but I have no musical friends so this is a good place for me to ask. I tried to google but I didn't find anything.

So I'm trying to learn the tabs below but I have a few questions about how it's set out. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that the lines are obviously the strings, top one being high e, all the way through to low e. I believe the numbers are the fret that you're meant to play that string on.

I don't really understand why the chords are listed though. As far as I can see it seems redundant to list them, I mean you already know what fret you're playing and which string you're hitting. I have a guess that they're listed for the positioning of fingers to make playing the song easier so you can hit the strings in time etc?

Or is there a actual reason why he lists them? Thanks in advance for your patience :)

http://www.licknriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Numb.jpg

I believe the chords are there, so u know how you will hold the hand the whole pace(?)

And well, just holding the chord like C for example, and you don't have to move your fingers for 2 paces

Not quite familiar with the English terms :[

I'm not sure how to explain the frets either, I mean, if you don't push anything down, it will be the number 0

This post was edited by Orvar on Feb 10 2014 08:52am
Gold: 0.20
Feb 10 2014 05:07pm
Quote (Orvar @ Feb 10 2014 09:49am)
I believe the chords are there, so u know how you will hold the hand the whole pace(?)

And well, just holding the chord like C for example, and you don't have to move your fingers for 2 paces

Not quite familiar with the English terms :[

I'm not sure how to explain the frets either, I mean, if you don't push anything down, it will be the number 0

this pretty much. its also good to learn the actual note opposed to the fret number.
Gold: 500.27
Feb 17 2014 09:23pm
Quote (notVita @ 10 Feb 2014 14:13)

You're correct.
Most of the time chords are listed so you know what position you'd have but not only and not always. They're also listed for an hypothetical accompaniment guitar #2.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll