d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Question For Experienced Guitar Players > Complete Guitar Beginner
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Jan 28 2014 09:23pm
So for the last couple of months I've been teaching myself via youtube/online resources, but I've found I get pretty unmotivated quickly.

Until recently when I watched a fingerpicking style tutorial and since then I've been practising that constantly. Is this a bad idea for a complete guitar beginner? From what I read fingerpicking is more of an advanced technique.

In your opinion should I continue to learn fingerpicking because I enjoy it and it keeps me motivated then go back and learn to use a pick later, or use a guitar pick and try to force myself to stay on track with learning.

If I'm misinformed about anything please tell me, or if you have additional information I would be grateful.

Thanks
Gold: 0.00
Jan 28 2014 10:47pm
Quote (notVita @ Jan 28 2014 11:23pm)
So for the last couple of months I've been teaching myself via youtube/online resources, but I've found I get pretty unmotivated quickly.

Until recently when I watched a fingerpicking style tutorial and since then I've been practising that constantly. Is this a bad idea for a complete guitar beginner? From what I read fingerpicking is more of an advanced technique.

In your opinion should I continue to learn fingerpicking because I enjoy it and it keeps me motivated then go back and learn to use a pick later, or use a guitar pick and try to force myself to stay on track with learning.

If I'm misinformed about anything please tell me, or if you have additional information I would be grateful.

Thanks

Nah man, just do what you love to do.

Finger picking is no more advanced than you make it. Same with a pick.
Using certain picking styles and techniques are just as hard as learning finger picking.

For me, when I started playing guitar, I didn't even use a pick until about 2 years into guitar.

I've been playing 9 years now and am very good at finger picking but my pick skills lack, but that doesn't matter because I personally like finger picking better and that's just my style.
Jan 29 2014 01:47am
Thanks I was hoping that would be the case :)

Instead of making a new thread, I've got another question about tuning.

I bought a relatively cheap acoustic guitar for my first one and it has a tuner on the side of it, how reliable are these built-in tuners? I also see there are a lot of 'online' and 'app' guitar tuners, does anyone have experience with these? I have no friends that play so I don't have anyone that can really help me with it.
Gold: 5,268.80
Jan 29 2014 10:18am
Well i would trust it - but perhaps compare it against a youtube video of E.

You only need that first string to be able to tune all 6 of them.

If your guitar is that cheap, you may find it goes out of tune more often than you play it, in which case invest like $150 in something, Fender / Yamaha are just 2 of the brands with good starter gear.

This post was edited by bob(Cs2) on Jan 29 2014 10:19am
Gold: 630.01
Jan 29 2014 01:19pm
i've been playing for about 4 years, i honestly hate picks just could never get used to them

i exclusively finger pick, if it feels comfortable to you just go with it

This post was edited by BB_MelloYello on Jan 29 2014 01:19pm
Gold: 1,126.28
Feb 2 2014 03:06pm
Here's a video I made on a fun simple pattern. Easy to play but has a complex enough rhythm to still be entertaining.
(Two notes land on the down beat and then 2 notes land on the up beat)

Feb 3 2014 03:43am
Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated!

thefriarmichael I will give your video a watch tomorrow and have a go :)
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll