d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Learning Guitar Modes
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 2 2014 03:44pm
Just isn't clicking… The guy who got me into playing recently told me one of the most important things to learn first is the different guitar modes.. I've been studying music theory and guitar theory but the different modes confuse the shit out of me..

TL;DR: Essentially, all the modes do is draw out a road map of the neck, correct?
Gold: 34.88
Jan 3 2014 04:41pm
google is your friend sir ..

stick with one at a time tll you can do it blind folded

chords/scales/speed

http://www.insaneguitar.com/

This post was edited by frankbrown1193 on Jan 3 2014 04:42pm
Jan 8 2014 01:04pm
Quote (frankbrown1193 @ Jan 3 2014 10:41pm)
google is your friend sir ..

stick with one at a time tll you can do it blind folded

chords/scales/speed

http://www.insaneguitar.com/

google is not my friend. Thanks for the advice, because I never thought about using that particular search engine before.

All sarcasm aside, I was having trouble understanding the theory behind modes, I have them all memorized. I'm a more analytical type person than anything else… I could know everything about the guitar, but if I don't know everything about everything, than my mind keeps going.

I understand it now, simplified finally… Basically my understanding is going from C "Ionian" back to B "Locrian", ABCDEFG. Its a good feeling

E: Thank you for the site, i've been using guitar lessons.com and UltimateGuitar

This post was edited by ozzyarmy3 on Jan 8 2014 01:29pm
Jan 18 2014 05:44pm
Modes are definitely not needed. especially if your just starting lol.
Gold: 46.00
Jan 19 2014 07:09pm
Quote (Rushton @ Jan 18 2014 03:44pm)
Modes are definitely not needed. especially if your just starting lol.

LOL

whatever

Chords>modes>scales (after modes so you know how to work with-in them)>speed
Gold: 1,126.28
Feb 1 2014 09:40pm
I find using a droning note makes modes easier and more fun. Like a low E string. Take a C major scale and go to phrigian mode. Drone the low E string and then wail the mode scale on the other strings while it rings.

This post was edited by thefriarmichael on Feb 1 2014 10:06pm
Gold: 5,268.80
Feb 3 2014 01:05pm
Quote (AllysonChains @ 20 Jan 2014 02:09)
LOL

whatever

Chords>modes>scales (after modes so you know how to work with-in them)>speed

Dude, it's not necessary to learn modes as a starter. It's not even necessary as an advanced guitarist, it's PREFERENCE. There are LOADS of benefits of knowing modes, but it's not necessary at all - you end up playing modal patterns regardless of whether you know you are or not.

@OP - As you are studying theory as it is, I recommend Modes as something for you to learn and understand, clearly your route in life will benefit greatly from knowing them. For me, I don't need modes in my life simply because I don't play for other people, I play for me - so again, it is down to preference but you are one that would benefit :D
Feb 3 2014 04:18pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Feb 3 2014 03:05pm)
Dude, it's not necessary to learn modes as a starter. It's not even necessary as an advanced guitarist, it's PREFERENCE. There are LOADS of benefits of knowing modes, but it's not necessary at all - you end up playing modal patterns regardless of whether you know you are or not.

@OP - As you are studying theory as it is, I recommend Modes as something for you to learn and understand, clearly your route in life will benefit greatly from knowing them. For me, I don't need modes in my life simply because I don't play for other people, I play for me - so again, it is down to preference but you are one that would benefit :D

Exactly, all modea are is a way to play the same scale while starting and/or finishing on a different note.

Your going to end up still playing a C major scale your just starting on a different note.

Most decent guitarist don't start their solos on the root note anyway and they usually know every major and minor scale shape. At that point your just playing the same thing you have been for years and just starting on D onstead of C.

With enough knowledge modes don't even need to be touched.

I would focus more on learning all major and minor scale shapea up and down the neck, with that your learning modes at the same time.
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll