d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Need Help > New Guitar Player
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Sep 8 2013 06:35pm
Hey guys, just bought an acoustic guitar and never played it before. Just wanted to know what's the best/easiest website to learn guitar for begginers. Thanks!
Gold: 416.00
Sep 8 2013 08:34pm
Anywhere, even on YouTube.

My advice. Learn 3 to 5 chords. Use correct finger placement on the frets. Just strum up and down and switch between chords. Once you become sufficient at that then start learning to pick notes (so instead of strumming you are picking strings). Switch between chords while picking. Once you are sufficient at that then learn to read guitar tabs. It may look complex at first glance but it is extremely easy to read. Then find a simple song you want to learn and learn it and don't give up. Depending by then if you are serious or not then it is up to you were to go on from there. I would learn some theory before progressing. It would be better to learn it earlier than later. If you are not committed or patient then you will not progress.

This post was edited by TonyAbbott on Sep 8 2013 08:38pm
Gold: 13.37
Sep 9 2013 12:35am
I would suggest learning where the notes are on the fretboard, and notice stuff like that the note pattern is always A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# (and then back to A A# B etc etc). If you learn that pattern and just know some of the simple rules, you can always find some exact note on the fretboard, without having to memorize all of the frets.

(i would recommend drawing this picture on paper so that you have it around all the time)

for example one of the most basic things is that 5th fret on E string is A(also 10th fret on E = same as 5th fret on A, this also means that 7th fret on A is same as 12th fret on E, in other words 7th fret on A is E, but one octave higher than low E string loose). 12th fret on E string is E, but one octave up.

There are also some basic stuff like power chords http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0f0QzMNk-E , which is a good thing to know. Also while playing for example E from 3rd fret and A from 5th fret would be a power chord, you can also play the same fret on the next string also and it will sound good(but its not a power chord), or you can play for example E 3rd fret, A 5th fret and D 5th fret or E 3rd fret, A 3rd fret and D 5th fret. but when it comes to this sort of basic rule and playing with 3rd(G) and 2nd(B) string, this regular 2 string chord would be for example 5th fret from G and 4th from B and power chord 5th fret from G and 6th from B, because B isnt tuned the same way as other strings are(5th on G = C, not B and C is the first fret of B, so B is 4th of G, not 5th like its on other strings). Do note that there are other ways of finding notes that fit together when played the same time than these rules.

I suggest getting to know some basic scales and maybe testing out yourself which notes fit together and which doesent. And learn some chords, also do note that you can play string separately on a chord, so chord doesent mean that you need to be strumming it and you dont need to play all the strings on the chord if you are playing the string separately instead of strumming.

ps. You can find loads of guitar lessons from youtube

This post was edited by Antichrist- on Sep 9 2013 12:41am
Gold: 95.00
Sep 13 2013 07:58am
Pro Tip: Play to a metronome. if u start with this u might be as good as Dave Grohl one day ^^

Justin Guitar on youtube is pretty good for begginners i think. Fun guy thats good at learning.

This post was edited by Cassidus on Sep 13 2013 07:59am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll