d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Metal Vocal Microphone > Need Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,269.00
Mar 4 2013 12:19pm
Hey - TL;DR at bottom of the page

I am a very bad singer and I can barely growl (if 0/10 is not being able to I am like 1/10), but I would like to improve the growling mostly to cover up my bad singing, but of course go on with singing aswell.

Now, I am writing this very sloppy and I am a newbie when it comes to this, but that's why I make this topic.

Yesterday I was going to make an order that would cost ~800 Euro to my drums, but I stopped in the last second and decided that I will wait some more untill doing one more purchase when it comes to the Electric Drums.

While looking around on the site of Thomann, I saw how Microphones costed about ~10-50 euro and a starting pack 89 euro :http://www.thomann.de/se/the_tbone_sc440_usb_podcast_bundle_02.htm

Now, here comes the question that I need help with:

What should I buy and look for if I want to start doing some vocals?
I want to growl/sing Melodic Death Metal such as Amon Amarth, but also have some fun on my own.

What comes up in mind is:

Microphone
Microphone Stand
Pop Shield

And then I see this Magix Samplitude11 Pro X Silver - Is it some kind of program that I can use for recording vocals?

Extension Cable - For recording directly into a Preamp http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=993 for example? - We have one at home
Please, correct me on this one, because I am insecure

TL;DR

I need a starting pack for recording Melodic Death Metal Vocals such as Amon Amarth - It shouldn't be too expensive nor too cheap that it sucks, but decent.
I am new in the area and need a list of all products I would possible need...

Thanks

~Manegarm
Gold: 45,591.26
Trader: Trusted
Mar 5 2013 08:58am
Buy an SM58, you'll never outgrow it and they're nearly immortal. Just about any microphone stand and pop filter will do, I don't even use a pop filter while recording growls though I know some people do. You'll need an XLR cable, buy a cheap one, unless you want a name brand with a lifetime warranty (stores over here allow you to swap out Monster cables if they break, which is nice if you're abusing it, swinging it around, and stuff like that).

I recommend buying the SM58 only from a reputable, authorized Shure dealer, as there have been tons of fake Shure mics like these recently. It costs $99 here.
Mar 5 2013 10:50am
Quote (Zodijackyl @ 5 Mar 2013 15:58)
Buy an SM58, you'll never outgrow it and they're nearly immortal. Just about any microphone stand and pop filter will do, I don't even use a pop filter while recording growls though I know some people do. You'll need an XLR cable, buy a cheap one, unless you want a name brand with a lifetime warranty (stores over here allow you to swap out Monster cables if they break, which is nice if you're abusing it, swinging it around, and stuff like that).

I recommend buying the SM58 only from a reputable, authorized Shure dealer, as there have been tons of fake Shure mics like these recently. It costs $99 here.

Hey, thanks for your reply!
I am buying my music stuff from Thomann, and I know they have the real deal (hopefully) ;)

As you said about the SM58, I was googling around before making the topic and many people recommended Shure, so that feels comfortable.

Microphone that I find on SM58 search: http://www.thomann.de/se/shure_sm58s.htm

and set Bundle including the Microphone: http://www.thomann.de/se/shure_sm_58_s_bundle.htm - Which includes a Stand, Cable and Microphone.

Does this Bundle include what I need?

+ http://www.thomann.de/se/t-bone_ms180.htm

Also, is there any headphones or earphone I can get if I want to record vocals while having a song in the background?

As mentioned we have an M-Audio Mobilpre USB which I guess is connected from the Microphone->M-Audio->Computer.

Do I need to get some kind of program and which one for the best results?

- Or could I just get something like Audacity to begin with and from that record?

This purchase won't be made today, but I will just try to sing/growl while looking at tutorials to start somewhere and when I feel like improving I will buy this.

I appreciate if you or anyone else would like to reply one more time

~Manegarm

This post was edited by Manegarm on Mar 5 2013 10:50am
Mar 6 2013 09:29am
That bundle looks like a good deal, and that pop filter seems fine/reasonably priced.

You'll need headphones for recording, look for studio monitor headphones if you'll be recording anything. There's such a wide range of those that it's hard to point to any one model.

Don't use Audacity, you have an interface so use Reaper.
Mar 6 2013 10:53am
Quote (Zodijackyl @ 6 Mar 2013 16:29)
That bundle looks like a good deal, and that pop filter seems fine/reasonably priced.

You'll need headphones for recording, look for studio monitor headphones if you'll be recording anything. There's such a wide range of those that it's hard to point to any one model.

Don't use Audacity, you have an interface so use Reaper.

Me and my father found out that our eMac may contain or be able to download a program called: "GarageBand" ... I guess this program will be working good for recording, along with the vocals, my Bass Guitar and Electric Drums.

When it comes to headphones - Will just a pair of these make the job? : Superlux HD681 - Link: http://www.thomann.de/se/superlux_hd681.htm

Thanks for your replies

~Manegarm
Mar 6 2013 11:39am
I would never recommend GarageBand.

I have not heard of Superlux headphones.
Mar 6 2013 12:00pm
Quote (Zodijackyl @ 6 Mar 2013 18:39)
I would never recommend GarageBand.

I have not heard of Superlux headphones.

All right... Oh well. Thanks for all the replies.

~Manegarm
Gold: 3,134.00
Mar 6 2013 09:28pm
SM58 is awesome. Bought one from Thomann last fall and I simply love it.

Don't bother with the bundle though. Millenium stands are simply terrible... I've had a few of those mic stands and they are simply terrible.. Pretty much same goes for drum stands.

I'd rather buy the mic and the stand separate. Put few more euros to the stand. You will spend the same amount in a duct tape anyway if you buy the millenium...
Mar 7 2013 12:07am
Quote (TheBe @ 7 Mar 2013 04:28)
SM58 is awesome. Bought one from Thomann last fall and I simply love it.

Don't bother with the bundle though. Millenium stands are simply terrible... I've had a few of those mic stands and they are simply terrible.. Pretty much same goes for drum stands.

I'd rather buy the mic and the stand separate. Put few more euros to the stand. You will spend the same amount in a duct tape anyway if you buy the millenium...

Thanks for informing me... Do you have any other stand to recommend? Is there any other cable I should look for, or is the one in the bundle okey?

~Manegarm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll