d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Paying Fg For M-audio Help!
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 268.01
Feb 24 2013 12:03am
I have a m-audio fast track, and i wan't to use vst amp plugins with reaper ( recording program) but im not getting any sound!

Will pay nicely to the one who helps me
Gold: 11.11
Feb 24 2013 08:48am
Well how are you trying to use the VSTs? Are you trying to record something in and then use the VSTs as effects on that signal? Or are you simply trying to add effects to a recorded audio signal inside of Reaper?

As far as getting your audio interface I would make sure you have all the drivers installed. Are you using a PC or Mac? I don't use a Fast Track or Reaper but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Have you set the signal to go out of the interface in Reaper? You essentially need to set it up so that anything going into your computer first passes through the Fast Track and then anything going out of your computer (speakers or monitors most likely) is coming out of the outputs of the Fast Track. Check under preferences of Reaper, it will probably have a section where you can set your audio interface to work with it. If you don't have the drivers installed this may be an issue so make sure you are up to date with Fast Track drivers which are most likely available online if you search.

Then, once you have sound, if you want to effect that signal with VSTs it would work something like this. Say you want to record a guitar for example.

Either plug the guitar into a line input on your Fast Track or mic up an amp, whichever you prefer and have the I/Os for on your interface. Then once you have the signal going into the computer you will need to set up an audio track inside of Reaper that is armed to record. Put the VST on this channel. Then to make sure you can hear what you are doing, you will need to do what I stated above about setting your Reaper to work with your audio interface. Basically set it so your main audio output is the Fast Track. Then on your outputs of your fast track you will plug in your monitors or speakers. You should now hear the guitar being effected by the VST come out of your speakers as you play. You can also record the signal in dry and then throw the VST on afterwards if you prefer a bit more flexibility in that regard.

Does that make sense to you? Is that really what you are even asking? If you can expand on what you are trying to do with your interface I could get a bit more specific for you. You may have to dig around for drivers and you will have to figure out how to route the interface into Reaper but those should both be very easy to do. If you need help let me know.
Feb 24 2013 10:00am
Quote (HERETICtheory @ Feb 24 2013 02:48pm)
Well how are you trying to use the VSTs?  Are you trying to record something in and then use the VSTs as effects on that signal?  Or are you simply trying to add effects to a recorded audio signal inside of Reaper? 

As far as getting your audio interface I would make sure you have all the drivers installed.  Are you using a PC or Mac?  I don't use a Fast Track or Reaper but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.  Have you set the signal to go out of the interface in Reaper?  You essentially need to set it up so that anything going into your computer first passes through the Fast Track and then anything going out of your computer (speakers or monitors most likely) is coming out of the outputs of the Fast Track.  Check under preferences of Reaper, it will probably have a section where you can set your audio interface to work with it.  If you don't have the drivers installed this may be an issue so make sure you are up to date with Fast Track drivers which are most likely available online if you search.

Then, once you have sound, if you want to effect that signal with VSTs it would work something like this.  Say you want to record a guitar for example. 

Either plug the guitar into a line input on your Fast Track or mic up an amp, whichever you prefer and have the I/Os for on your interface.  Then once you have the signal going into the computer you will need to set up an audio track inside of Reaper that is armed to record.  Put the VST on this channel.  Then to make sure you can hear what you are doing, you will need to do what I stated above about setting your Reaper to work with your audio interface.  Basically set it so your main audio output is the Fast Track.  Then on your outputs of your fast track you will plug in your monitors or speakers.  You should now hear the guitar being effected by the VST come out of your speakers as you play.  You can also record the signal in dry and then throw the VST on afterwards if you prefer a bit more flexibility in that regard.

Does that make sense to you?  Is that really what you are even asking?  If you can expand on what you are trying to do with your interface I could get a bit more specific for you.  You may have to dig around for drivers and you will have to figure out how to route the interface into Reaper but those should both be very easy to do.  If you need help let me know.

tried this still not working,.. not sure what im doing wrong :(
Feb 24 2013 11:43am
Quote (Diddler @ Feb 24 2013 11:00am)
tried this still not working,.. not sure what im doing wrong :(

What exactly are you trying to do? Throw a VST on any channel? Or are you specifically trying to record and effect that signal? It's hard to give you specific advice unless I know what you're trying to do and what you've tried already. I can't imagine it would be difficult, this is the crux of your entire studio so the soundcard shouldn't be a terribly difficult setup, we must be missing something here. Can you take any screenshots of the preferences panel in Reaper where you tried to route in your soundcard?
Feb 24 2013 11:46am
Quote (HERETICtheory @ Feb 24 2013 05:43pm)
What exactly are you trying to do?  Throw a VST on any channel?  Or are you specifically trying to record and effect that signal?  It's hard to give you specific advice unless I know what you're trying to do and what you've tried already.  I can't imagine it would be difficult, this is the crux of your entire studio so the soundcard shouldn't be a terribly difficult setup, we must be missing something here.  Can you take any screenshots of the preferences panel in Reaper where you tried to route in your soundcard?

I got it working now, just the latency is bad :(

if you can help me fix this 500 fg is yours :D
Feb 24 2013 12:08pm
Quote (Diddler @ Feb 24 2013 12:46pm)
I got it working now, just the latency is bad :(

if you can help me fix this 500 fg is yours :D

Good! Latency can be caused by a number of things but where are you experiencing it? From a controller or an instrument? Check your buffer size. Higher buffer rates are better for mixing but cause more latency while lower buffer rates eliminate latency but are not ideal for mixing. Typically you would want to adjust your buffer as you work through different stages of a song if you need to. That's where I would start at least.
Feb 24 2013 12:14pm
Im experiancing it on reaper the recording program when i play it comes out a second or so after i play it, how would i go about changing buffer size?
Gold: 0.00
Feb 24 2013 12:21pm
try this: in reaper open the soundcard-config window, THEN open the cards own config-thingy and change it there

And change the parameters here :

buffer size must be set in the Delta Control Panel before you launch your music software. When using ASIO with your Delta card, set the buffer size in the control panel, then exit the control panel. After doing so, launch your music software.

This post was edited by dezzmos on Feb 24 2013 12:26pm
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll