d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > I Need Good Guitar Recording Equipment > Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 268.01
Feb 13 2013 11:50am
Im looking to record guitar over a drum machine, not looking for something super expensive 200-300 max!

I had a toneport but it wasn't amazing, was thinking about getting a Pod not to sure.. opinions?
Gold: 60.01
Feb 13 2013 07:03pm
I would suggest recording the clean, unprocessed guitar signal, and re-amping the signal in a DAW. If you are looking for cheap solution, you might want to think if it is worth to invest 200-300 to a POD for example. You would get the same result with toneport if you re-amp the clean signal.

For example, Amplitube and Guitar Rig have some decent presets, but I prefer building my own presets. I recorded my solo-album using POD-XT, and re-amping the guitars in Amplitube (and some effects from guitar rig).

But but but... Someone might have a differend, equally good opinion.
Gold: 268.01
Feb 13 2013 07:06pm
Quote (Rupsu @ Feb 14 2013 01:03am)
I would suggest recording the clean, unprocessed guitar signal, and re-amping the signal in a DAW. If you are looking for cheap solution, you might want to think if it is worth to invest 200-300 to a POD for example. You would get the same result with toneport if you re-amp the clean signal.

For example, Amplitube and Guitar Rig have some decent presets, but I prefer building my own presets. I recorded my solo-album using POD-XT, and re-amping the guitars in Amplitube (and some effects from guitar rig).

Yea that sounds cool, i heard the pod and i heard you can make better custom tones on it, no sure if thats true haha :P

but i want to make decent sounding tracks to send out for vocal tryouts for a band, toneport was good but looking for a thicker tone for guitars
Gold: 36.00
Feb 21 2013 10:04pm
Quote (Diddler @ Feb 13 2013 06:06pm)
Yea that sounds cool, i heard the pod and i heard you can make better custom tones on it, no sure if thats true haha :P

but i want to make decent sounding tracks to send out for vocal tryouts for a band, toneport was good but looking for a thicker tone for guitars

Get any interface with a 1/4" instrument level jack, the nicer one you get the better the internal preamp. Then load whatever DAW you choose. There are few awesome programs you can even use for FREE that sound absolutely killer and blow pod farm out of the water. One is get all the amps from Lepou http://lepouplugins.***/ it blocks the URL but just google Lepou Plugins and it comes right up ***there all free and sound great but you MUST pair the program with an Impulse Response loader and you must have guitar cab impulse responses. Lepou makes its own cab simulator (look on the side of the website I linked it's called LeCab). Now here is a link to some decent free impulse responses http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593

Now I love the lepou plugins but another way to go is use IK Multimedias Amplitube (get the newest version, usually the basic version is free so no money needed) just make sure if you want to use amplitube that you disable the cab build into the program as it is complete and utter shit, instead next in the signal chain use Lecab or whatever impulse response loader you have. Ignore Podfarm, with this you need to spend almost no money and it will sound legit, if you want examples I do all the demo recording for my current band used both the lepou plugins with the process I stated or amplitube with the process I stated as well. https://www.facebook.com/TheyCallUsImposters/app%5F178091127385 I did all the guitar tone for all the songs except for "it's always sunny in siladelphia" which my other guitar player dude (and I am not as happy with).

This post was edited by Automatica on Feb 21 2013 10:05pm
Feb 21 2013 10:08pm
Also while you can get some very nice useable sounds nothing beats recording a real amp with a decent mic like a Shure SM57 or Sennheiser E609 with a solid close mic technique. But if you're like me and record and write somewhere where a cranked Mesa Triple Recto won't be acceptable then amp sims and cab sims/impulses are amazing, what I like is the flexibility of being able to change the whole tone of the song without having to re record it
Feb 21 2013 10:14pm
Quote (Rupsu @ Feb 13 2013 06:03pm)

Good advice, but just so you know you are using the term re-amping wrong. Re-amping is recording a dry signal then running the line level output into a hardware unit such as Radials Pro Reamp box (it changes the signal so it can be then put through a real guitar amp to be recorded in a live fashion (so amp head, cab and mic type setup) and actually running the dry signal into the input on the amp and having the dry signal actually play through the now mic'd amp.

I'm trying to say this nicely so I don't sound like a dick lol. I am genuinely just trying to be helpful lol.

This post was edited by Automatica on Feb 21 2013 10:23pm
Gold: 60.01
Feb 23 2013 02:30pm
Quote (Automatica @ 22 Feb 2013 07:14)
Good advice, but just so you know you are using the term re-amping wrong.  Re-amping is recording a dry signal then running the line level output into a hardware unit such as Radials Pro Reamp box (it changes the signal so it can be then put through a real guitar amp to be recorded in a live fashion (so amp head, cab and mic type setup) and actually running the dry signal into the input on the amp and having the dry signal actually play through the now mic'd amp.

I'm trying to say this nicely so I don't sound like a dick lol.  I am genuinely just trying to be helpful lol.

Thx for the fix! The way this thing is explained in my native language would be directly translated as "re-amping" the signal, but now i know better to not to use the term ^_^
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll