d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Drums - Need Advice About Purchase > Pearl
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,269.00
Feb 6 2013 05:18am
Hello. I have been playing the drums for about 3 months spread over 1 year. About 2 months ago I bought Electric Drums (link: http://www.thomann.de/se/roland_td_11kv_v_drum_compactbundle.htm) which has improved my drumming skills. Yet, I am far from decent in my opinion when it comes to Metal drummers. But of course, I will have to practice every day and it will slowly improve over time.

Now to the subject. I was looking around on Thomann and found a really nice drum kit I want to aim for, but the lack of information and details on them makes me, as a newbie, having a lot of questions.
I would like to have opinions from you if it seems like a good price and overall drum kit.

I won't buy the drum kit today, but while drumming and improving on the Electric Drums it's a fun thing to aim for in the future when I feel ready for a real kit and makes it more fun to learn.

Here are the drums: http://www.thomann.de/se/pearl_vb828_c_vision_vb_double_bass.htm

Here is the kit I want to purchase: http://www.thomann.de/se/pearl_vb828_c_vision_vb_doubl_bundle.htm

My question: If anyone of you have any experience with either this drum kit, Pearl or just overall about drums, does this kit seem like a good drum kit to get?

I appreciate replies!

~Manegarm

This post was edited by Manegarm on Feb 6 2013 05:23am
Gold: 12.00
Feb 6 2013 08:08am
If it's in your budget, it's a great kit. This kit could last you unitl you decide to get a professional kit. This kit is giggable, sounds pretty good and with good heads and tuned up, even records well. The only difference between the two kits is the one comes with cymbals. Mind you, the cymbals they have are cheaper ones. I'd get the kit with out those cymbals and look into Sabian AA or Zildjian Avides series cymbals. Check Prices on these Cymbals:

Sabian 14" AA Rock Hats
Sabian 16 or 18" AA-Metal-X
21" AAX Dry Ride Raw Bell

Or

Zildjian 14" New Beat Hats
Zildjian 17" Med Crash
Zildjian 19" Z3 Thrash Ride

Any mix of these cymbals would be a great starting point and if you continue to pursue drums, you'll likely keep these cymbals and add to them, where as the ZBT series offered in the one package, you will like likely want to sell and have to replenish (start over!)
Feb 6 2013 08:33am
Hello Superchum, thanks for the quick reply!

I totally agree with you. The reason I was adding the one with cymbals was because of my lack of knowledge when it comes to cymbals. But of course, I can't be too lazy not to pay enough attention.
The money is no problem, but I don't want to rush buying it until I feel like I am ready enough for it. I think you know what I mean ;).

I like how you read my mind when it comes to the part: "This kit could last you unitl you decide to get a professional kit". I feel like I need to start somewhere with a really good first kit if I want to advance.

When it comes to buying the one with cymbals I will have to look up the prices on those you recommended first. Sometimes you can't afford buying too cheap (thinking about the kit including cymbals), but if the price with cymbals chosen by my decision is too high, I might just start off with buying the whole kit with cymbals. They are probably decent cymbals after all.

But like you say, you can always renew the cymbals after the taste, or even add some.

I thank you for the reply, really made my eyes open up further.

I wish you a good day!

~Manegarm
Banned
Gold: 10.00
Warn: 20%
Feb 7 2013 06:51am
Man, Pearl Vision Birch is (imho) one of the best drumsets eeevvvaaaarrr!!!!;O

It sounds good even not tuned with default heads;O

It looks damn beautiful (i reccomend natural birch finish) and sounds the same. I was so amazed when I've played on it for the first time... very deep, low and dark sound;O
It literally blows away the competition! I've compared it to the high budget sets like Pearl Masters, Gretsch Renown and.. .maby its just me but i feel that it sounds much better;O

Just skip the double bass... its so impractical... ur hihat is too far from you, theres huge problem with tuning to make them sounds equal, also its the most expensive part of a set - id rather invest that in some badass cymbals.
oh... and u will probably need a slave to carry this stuff on stage..

Btw. theres a black finish with black hardware as well - if u dont like birch natural go fortotal black! It looks like from hell :evil:
Feb 7 2013 08:21am
Hey, thanks for the reply!

At the moment I have some acoustic drums like these: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:TAMA_drums.jpg

It's nothing wrong with the drums, really, but I want to increase the amount of tom-toms and an extra floor drum, and also I have to change the cymbals because they're crap.

But instead of buying some extra parts and buying cymbals separate to my old set I thought about going all-in and buy a complete new set that has these extras I want. Also I have some extra feelings about Pearl, I guess that's because my favourite band's drummer uses Pearl and also Pearl has made some videos when you see him and others play live, which makes them catch my eyes.

I am going to sell these Tama drums for hopefully 300-450 euros including 4 cymbals or something, and there's no rush with getting it sold. Also I will reach the age of 18 in 1 month so I will take ½ of the money received and put them away for these drums.

But I will see how long it will take until I will actually buy these Pearl drums. I don't feel ready for it yet, I still have much to learn, but it's of course something to keep my head up and have something to aim for.

Also I just bought Electric Drums to increase my practice every day without disturbing with my crappy playing, so I have to make them feel loved instead of abandoning them.

I will also try to visit a musician's store to check how it feels to sit behind a drum kit like this.

Thanks for your reply mysz15, I appreciate all comments!

~Manegarm

This post was edited by Manegarm on Feb 7 2013 08:23am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll