d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Picking Out A Banjo
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 118.98
Dec 26 2012 06:00pm
I've been a long time guitarist and bassist and musician in general, but I'm about to make my first banjo purchase and I don't know much about brands or models because I'm not a banjo player yet.

I played a Gold Star Gf-85 and I love the sound of it, and I'm about to the point where I want to purchase it because I can get one for about $850.

Are there any other banjos in that price range that are worth checking out? I heard Deerings are good but I don't know much about em.
Gold: 19,597.59
Dec 31 2012 10:13am
deering is all you will need. ive played banjo for years with some of the best bluegrass pickers in kansas/nationwide. a deering goodtime banjo is the best for the money you will find ($300-400). if you want something nicer, go for a deering boston or sierra (much more expensive). i wouldnt buy a gold star.

also you might consider which style you will play. most want to learn 3-finger scruggs style (dueling banjos, etc). those banjos come with the resonator on the back. old time banjos come with no resonator and weigh much less. if you are thinking about an old time banjo i would look into bart reiter banjos.

just dont buy a tenor (4-string) or 6 string guit-jo. pm if questions, banjo is where its at!
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll