d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Musicians Chat > Walking Bass
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.88
Nov 4 2012 10:51pm
any tips on playing walking bass?

anything
Gold: 4.00
Nov 5 2012 04:06am
I want to say this without making it too complicated I honestly only really know how to say this is classical terms...here goes nothin.

few things to rememeber:

1. the feel of walking bass is exactly like its name like walking this is hard to explain typing out its like that left right, 1 2, dun dun, feel. I'm sure you've listened to a bunch of example and know what i mean

2. walking bass movements and figures dont have to be some amazing arrangement or complicated line, walking bass is commonly played as simple alternating quarter notes(1 beat) which is why you may here people call it four feel. You will hear a lot of bassists or keyboard/organ players using fills with runs of of 8th notes, start out with simple riffs and bass lines first and eventually when you have a better feel you can start adding in your own fills and improvisations.

3. walking bass is often a take on the chord progression of a song which takes the root scale and adds in arpeggiations and semi tones(chromatic riffs/sections). Often walking bass lines are just simple unsyncopated (meaning they are expected or fit well as opposed to syncopation) movements up and down the scale in others words moving up and down the scale.

This post was edited by adamu on Nov 5 2012 04:08am
Go Back To Musicians Chat Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll